Wildflecken's Perspective of Day 2 Of The 2019 Rams Draft

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
Wildflecken
Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 am

1.) Not sold on the theory the Rams moved back from 31 due to a specific talent coming off the board but highly confident they moved back again from 45 due to Jenkins coming off the board one pick prior to the Packers at 44.

Moving down again was indeed the right strategy, allowing the war room to regroup, reset their board and refocus the strategy moving forward. Far to many GM's force the pick in these situations reaching to fill a need. Unsure their is another GM in the entire league who maneuvers the draft more efficiently than Les Snead does.

2.) Scheme fit is the phrase that best describes Rams performance in Day 2 of the 2019 draft. Les Snead does not try to fit square pegs into round holes. Instead he seeks prospects whose strengths match exactly the tasks the coaching staff will be asking them to perform come game day.

Addressing the Rams needs with the talent that best performs the tasks that will be required of them allows Les Snead to keep a "best player available" approach at any point in the draft. This scheme fit approach is my reasoning behind assigning a solid A - grade to the Rams performance on Day 2 of the 2019 draft, despite my belief the Rams did miss on Jenkins, a talent I firmly believe was Kromer's highest rated C in this class.

3.) Taylor Rapp is a top 15 talent in any draft class had he turned in a better 40 time. Best scheme fit Safety in this class for a Wade Phillips defense. He will be mentored by one of the most savvy Safety's currently in the league in Eric Weddle.

For those concerned about Rapp's straight line speed,
I point to the straight line speed of Tavon Austin versus his production on the football field. Rapp's game speed is far from lacking, in fact he had the second best short shuttle time of any player at combine, a much more important indicator than his 40 time. No other way to grade this pick than assigning an A+.

4.) Darrell Henderson - We saw firsthand last season the effects on the Rams offense when Todd Gurley's knee flared. You cannot replace the production of a generational talent like Todd Gurley with one player. Rather it requires a committee approach.

The addition of Henderson coupled with the return of Malcolm Brown gives McVay options to ensure Gurley is fresh for the 4th quarter of the season and into the playoffs. His addition also provides insurance if Gurley cannot go.

Many appear to hate this pick? Quite frankly I cannot understand how anyone would not like adding a talent with the home run explosiveness associated with adding a talent like Henderson.

And for those who are curious, his addition does not automatically equate to Kelly being a bust. Kelly remains the same talent he was before the Henderson addition, a 6th round pick working daily to prove he belongs in this league. Can we wait until training camp so we can make educated statements on his development?

5.) David Long CB, Michigan (Loyola High School, Los Angeles.)
In a year in which no cb stood out as a can't miss prospect, Les Snead was able to select the best scheme fit corner this class offered for a Wade Phillips defense with the 79th pick in round 3.

Long is versatile. He can play both press and off cover. Wade can move him all over the field and find his best assignment weekly. Long parks under an opponents chin while playing press coverage, a trait I believe Wade will find most desirable quickly.

A tad undersized at 5'11" he may not be the cb you assign to cover a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, but this kid rarely gets overextended or out of balance. He has the tenacity to play press against the Edelman's and Steve Smith's of this game. The type of cb who would relish taking on a Michael Thomas assignment and being left of an island.

6.) Bobby Evans T, Oklahoma
Did anyone else notice the similarities in his college scheme and assignments while watching his tape and the scheme he will be required to execute with Rams?

He moved to left tackle after Orlando Brown departed for the NFL last draft class. Powerful upper body, has the nasty streak required for next level. Like Orlando Brown, entering league with excellent technique, but unfortunately like Orlando Brown in that his athleticism is unimpressive as well, has plodding, heavy feet.

A year or two inside an NFL training regime, working on his athleticism and footwork could turn this kid into a 10 year pro bowler. Kromer sees him as a 4 position talent, and able to play immediately. Kromer loves developing powerful lineman and Evans certainly is not lacking power.

7.) I cannot state factually Rams target was Jenkins at 45 but they did have him in for a pre draft visit, Center is obviously a need, and they pulled trigger on deal with Patriots quickly once Packers made Jenkins their selection.

I assume if Jenkins was their target they could of selected him at 31, but no way they add Rapp without getting into round 2.

Overall I believe the Rams added four talents who can contribute as early as next season. I am curious to see if the Rams show any interest today in obtaining Chris Harris. If Wade is very high on him, the money he is asking for appears very reasonable for a talent of his caliber?

I am also hoping Rams do indeed plan to have Suh return with a post May 7 signing? Even with a planned Suh return, I think DT will be high on the positions the Rams target on day 3. I also would not rule out Rams bundling their 5th round choices to get back inside round 4,

Go Rams!

CierraRam
Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am

Wildflecken wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 am
1.) Not sold on the theory the Rams moved back from 31 due to a specific talent coming off the board but highly confident they moved back again from 45 due to Jenkins coming off the board one pick prior to the Packers at 44.

Moving down again was indeed the right strategy, allowing the war room to regroup, reset their board and refocus the strategy moving forward. Far to many GM's force the pick in these situations reaching to fill a need. Unsure their is another GM in the entire league who maneuvers the draft more efficiently than Les Snead does.

2.) Scheme fit is the phrase that best describes Rams performance in Day 2 of the 2019 draft. Les Snead does not try to fit square pegs into round holes. Instead he seeks prospects whose strengths match exactly the tasks the coaching staff will be asking them to perform come game day.

Addressing the Rams needs with the talent that best performs the tasks that will be required of them allows Les Snead to keep a "best player available" approach at any point in the draft. This scheme fit approach is my reasoning behind assigning a solid A - grade to the Rams performance on Day 2 of the 2019 draft, despite my belief the Rams did miss on Jenkins, a talent I firmly believe was Kromer's highest rated C in this class.

3.) Taylor Rapp is a top 15 talent in any draft class had he turned in a better 40 time. Best scheme fit Safety in this class for a Wade Phillips defense. He will be mentored by one of the most savvy Safety's currently in the league in Eric Weddle.

For those concerned about Rapp's straight line speed,
I point to the straight line speed of Tavon Austin versus his production on the football field. Rapp's game speed is far from lacking, in fact he had the second best short shuttle time of any player at combine, a much more important indicator than his 40 time. No other way to grade this pick than assigning an A+.

4.) Darrell Henderson - We saw firsthand last season the effects on the Rams offense when Todd Gurley's knee flared. You cannot replace the production of a generational talent like Todd Gurley with one player. Rather it requires a committee approach.

The addition of Henderson coupled with the return of Malcolm Brown gives McVay options to ensure Gurley is fresh for the 4th quarter of the season and into the playoffs. His addition also provides insurance if Gurley cannot go.

Many appear to hate this pick? Quite frankly I cannot understand how anyone would not like adding a talent with the home run explosiveness associated with adding a talent like Henderson.

And for those who are curious, his addition does not automatically equate to Kelly being a bust. Kelly remains the same talent he was before the Henderson addition, a 6th round pick working daily to prove he belongs in this league. Can we wait until training camp so we can make educated statements on his development?

5.) David Long CB, Michigan (Loyola High School, Los Angeles.)
In a year in which no cb stood out as a can't miss prospect, Les Snead was able to select the best scheme fit corner this class offered for a Wade Phillips defense with the 79th pick in round 3.

Long is versatile. He can play both press and off cover. Wade can move him all over the field and find his best assignment weekly. Long parks under an opponents chin while playing press coverage, a trait I believe Wade will find most desirable quickly.

A tad undersized at 5'11" he may not be the cb you assign to cover a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, but this kid rarely gets overextended or out of balance. He has the tenacity to play press against the Edelman's and Steve Smith's of this game. The type of cb who would relish taking on a Michael Thomas assignment and being left of an island.

6.) Bobby Evans T, Oklahoma
Did anyone else notice the similarities in his college scheme and assignments while watching his tape and the scheme he will be required to execute with Rams?

He moved to left tackle after Orlando Brown departed for the NFL last draft class. Powerful upper body, has the nasty streak required for next level. Like Orlando Brown, entering league with excellent technique, but unfortunately like Orlando Brown in that his athleticism is unimpressive as well, has plodding, heavy feet.

A year or two inside an NFL training regime, working on his athleticism and footwork could turn this kid into a 10 year pro bowler. Kromer sees him as a 4 position talent, and able to play immediately. Kromer loves developing powerful lineman and Evans certainly is not lacking power.

7.) I cannot state factually Rams target was Jenkins at 45 but they did have him in for a pre draft visit, Center is obviously a need, and they pulled trigger on deal with Patriots quickly once Packers made Jenkins their selection.

I assume if Jenkins was their target they could of selected him at 31, but no way they add Rapp without getting into round 2.

Overall I believe the Rams added four talents who can contribute as early as next season. I am curious to see if the Rams show any interest today in obtaining Chris Harris. If Wade is very high on him, the money he is asking for appears very reasonable for a talent of his caliber?

I am also hoping Rams do indeed plan to have Suh return with a post May 7 signing? Even with a planned Suh return, I think DT will be high on the positions the Rams target on day 3. I also would not rule out Rams bundling their 5th round choices to get back inside round 4,

Go Rams!
While Henderson does what you describe in the terms of depth.... I more believe that his addition was to fill a missing element in this offense. A Kamara, Cohen, (Coleman,Thanks for that one Dick) type. A wildcard a defense cant account for because of the other weapons. Im betting that McVay breaks from 11 personnel a lot more this season, and when he does, it involves Henderson out wide, Gurley wide, space plays for Henderson, etc....

Evans reminds me of Havenstein.... Cant go wrong with that.

Rapp???? Just an outstanding pick... you team him with Johnson....

Long??? My Sparty teams didnt complete a pass against him that I recall. Then again Lewerke stinks as a QB.... but still. ... I believe the guys stats as being true.... That said... how in the hell was he not a much earlier pick? And Justin Layne of my Sparty's will be a good CB.. but im thinking these two should have been flip flopped in where they got drafted.

Wow... im excited for the future of the DB's.... the new guys develop as they should, the Rams just might have the Legion Of Boom part II all over again.

rong
Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 am

I'm impressed with the picks that we made, all very solid fundamental players with an upside that can contribute and develop at the same time being mentored by a bevy of professionals...no big names, just solid picks

Slickjack
Starter

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:47 am

I like the fact that they are (for the most part) drafting from major college teams. I am little surprised that we have not address the defensive line or LB, but hopefully that will follow.

Ants
Pro-bowler

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 am

I just don't get the description of Evans having "plodding feet".
Go on YouTube and watch some video. Now, I'm not saying that he looks like a CB out there. But he seems to move smoothly to me and gets himself into good position. No, he doesn't high-step and leap around out there...but he has NO trouble getting to where he needs to be.

The LA Rams - Making the NFL Great Again! 8-)

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Ants wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 am
I just don't get the description of Evans having "plodding feet".
Go on YouTube and watch some video. Now, I'm not saying that he looks like a CB out there. But he seems to move smoothly to me and gets himself into good position. No, he doesn't high-step and leap around out there...but he has NO trouble getting to where he needs to be.
Plodding feet = lacks quick feet. not light on feet. mostly seen during during drills and plays requiring quick lateral movement.
Rams/Kromer will work with him and he played LOT in college successfully so obviously not a plodder in terms of being undraftable

Watch some tape of Whit and tape of Evans (not his highlight reel put together by agent which only shows his best work in college)
Kromer loves powerful lineman and worked with prospects like Evans before transitioning them into all pro lineman. But it all starts with Evans, he has to coachable and fully committed to improving his athleticism

remember you are watching college tape. watching him perform against defenses with at best 2 NFL prospects who stick on a roster (unless you are watching him against AL/Clemson)

Watch some tape of the Rams just drafted David Edwards and compare to Evans. Evans has more power but Edwards is about as light on his feet as a lineman comes. I love the Edwards pick. Think this kid is going to develop into a good one at next level

Ants
Pro-bowler

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:53 pm

Wildflecken wrote:
[ But it all starts with Evans, he has to coachable and fully committed to improving his athleticism

remember you are watching college tape. watching him perform against defenses with at best 2 NFL prospects who stick on a roster (unless you are watching him against AL/Clemson)

Watch some tape of the Rams just drafted David Edwards and compare to Evans. Evans has more power but Edwards is about as light on his feet as a lineman comes. I love the Edwards pick. Think this kid is going to develop into a good one at next level
I agree - Evans certainly isn't as athletic as Edwards.
I guess my point was that Evans didn't look like a typical "phone booth" OG by any means in the video I saw.
He moves fairly well...he just doesn't look as pretty doing it as Edwards.
Still, Evans easily gets to where he needs to be. At the pro level? We'll see. Like you said - if he takes to coaching I think he'll be fine...at least as a OG.

I totally agree about Edwards - he looks like a guy that already has a lot going for him - from size to athleticism. Just needs some help with pass pro. I think he can actually be better than Havs. 8-)

The LA Rams - Making the NFL Great Again! 8-)

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Ants wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:53 pm
Wildflecken wrote:
[ But it all starts with Evans, he has to coachable and fully committed to improving his athleticism

I agree - Evans certainly isn't as athletic as Edwards.
I guess my point was that Evans didn't look like a typical "phone booth" OG by any means in the video I saw.
He moves fairly well...he just doesn't look as pretty doing it as Edwards.
Still, Evans easily gets to where he needs to be. At the pro level? We'll see. Like you said - if he takes to coaching I think he'll be fine...at least as a OG.

I totally agree about Edwards - he looks like a guy that already has a lot going for him - from size to athleticism. Just needs some help with pass pro. I think he can actually be better than Havs. 8-)
Edwards was a tenacious run blocker in college of course all the Wisconsin lineman know how to run block

Rams approach to this draft a good sign McVay has identified the type of football required to dominate in the playoffs

Rate this topic