Our draft picks..

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
UplandRam
Site Admin

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:17 pm

I keep seeing suggestions that we pick up this or that free agent. We need to start seeing what we have in the players we have drafted over the last few years.
John Kelly, Micah Kiser, Justin Davis, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, John Franklin-Myers...
These are a few guys we should focus on developing.
With this years draft, we will have more talent available. I don’t want to see us pick up anymore old guys and who can’t stay on the field and are past their prime.

CierraRam
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 pm

UplandRam wrote:
I keep seeing suggestions that we pick up this or that free agent. We need to start seeing what we have in the players we have drafted over the last few years.
John Kelly, Micah Kiser, Justin Davis, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, John Franklin-Myers...
With this years draft, we will have more talent available. I don’t want to see us pick up anymore old guys and who can’t stay on the field and are past their prime.
I really like the idea of bringing in Bortles as the backup QB as far as free agents go. To your point... they dont have a choice really with the cap but to find out about some of these guys. The next two drafts are going to be critical for this team to maintain long term success. They have to hit as they have the past two.

malibu
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:38 pm

We are focusing on those players, but the MGMT monitors their progress and no offense non are proven. Like I always say if they are that good they would beat out the player in front them and non did. Proven FA upgrade type players are worth it if they are truly upgrades.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 pm

malibu wrote:
We are focusing on those players, but the MGMT monitors their progress and no offense non are proven. Like I always say if they are that good they would beat out the player in front them and non did. Proven FA upgrade type players are worth it if they are truly upgrades.
Yeah... if a player doesn’t start as a rookie, he’s obviously trash.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

UplandRam
Site Admin

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:38 pm

CierraRam wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 pm
UplandRam wrote:
I really like the idea of bringing in Bortles as the backup QB as far as free agents go. To your point... they dont have a choice really with the cap but to find out about some of these guys. The next two drafts are going to be critical for this team to maintain long term success. They have to hit as they have the past two.
I agree with you on Bortles. Having a back up who has tons of game experience and is still young would be a plus.
I was speaking generally about just about every veteran who has been released and at one point in their careers had success. Especially those who have had trouble staying healthy in the latter stages of their careers.
I want to see us develop players who we have drafted to measure just how well we have drafted. The 2017 draft was the best draft in years. Now, let’s see about the 2018 draft and this years draft.

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:20 am

UplandRam wrote:
Upland you are not only spot on, but the development of these players are how dynasty's are assembled.

If you go back and find Snead's comments made early in his tenure as the GM, he alluded to using all avenues to build a winner and stated at the time moves like last offseason would only be made when roster was at a point a few big moves would make the difference and put them in SB contention.

Snead is hot, his moves are gold. But now the cycle has returned to the draft and love the work he is doing with comp picks.

My take, Rams need to add elite blue collar talent this draft. Sideline to sideline lb's (Devin Bush is one name here) , run stuffer at DT, elite blockers from the inline TE position and H/FB, Oline, and of course pass rushers which a team never can have too many.

JFM could take huge steps forward next season, maybe Kelly as well but I do wonder a tad about his explosiveness, game certainly has to slow some for him. The lb's we added last season, cant wait to get a look at them in camp

Regarding McVay's comments about an explosive player, well if one is there at 31? But Rams must find a day one starter with that pick, no matter the position.

I have not looked too deeply at the rb class but overall most think it is unimpressive. But some true gems have come from these type classes and Rams may have choice at 31 if none come off board prior? DK Metcalf does intrigue me. Goes against everything I believe, game tape over combine. My principles are always avoid the pajama warriors if the game tape does not support performance and his does not. Could be another Grob for some team. But with McVay's use of wr's running TE vertical seam patterns, well Chucky's comment sticks in the back of my mind, what db can tackle him, hmm

malibu
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:43 am

malibu wrote:
We are focusing on those players, but the MGMT monitors their progress and no offense none are proven. Like I always say if they are that good they would beat out the player in front them and none did. Proven FA upgrade type players are worth it if they are truly upgrades.

malibu
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:52 am

Dick84 wrote:
malibu wrote:
I didn't say they were trash. I didn't insinuate they were either. But the reality is they we're low draft picks 5th rounders or worse. Usually that low of a draft pick means the players have deficient play or limited skill.

Now apply those skills against better players on the other team vs those players and they are simply overmatched even if they become a starter, hence it is common sense to look to PROVEN FAs with higher skill levels.

I love contrarians you all just want to oppose the obvious instead of analyze the situation and make the best decision for the team. Most late round draft picks end up as journey men or in a back up role not an ELITE starter. BTW a team to be great needs a players who dominate their opponent on the other side of the ball.

So the answer find the best player and if we have no money left to solve a hole we look to the current roster or the upcoming draft to fill the hole and hope and pray it works.

rong
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 am

There are several ways we can open up cap space, and I think we will still pick up some solid blue chip free agents...I trust Snead at this point to pick the right players to plug and play...JFM looked better as the season progressed and played well in the Super Bowl...solid, if not explosive....I don't think we need a ton of changes...we are a playoff team already

pmill66
Starter

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 am

McVay talked about the need to add playmakers, the Rams only added one skill position last year in RB Kelly. 1st round pick for the first time since 2016, think I know the direction McVay is pushing, not sure if he has final say or not.

toast49
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 am

UplandRam wrote:
From what I've seen of Franklin-Myers I think he could become a really good starter for the Rams at the 5 spot allowing Brockers to move over the center. I'm not high on Kelly although I think he runs hard, but just lacks that second gear that McVay covets. Davis hasn't seen any kind of playing time in 2 years so probably a bubble roster guy. I like Kiser as a two down run defender and in our division he can be an important piece on defense. He's made some nice tackles on special teams and the Rams have Littleton for the nickel packages on obvious passing downs. Obo, no idea.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:05 am

malibu wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
malibu wrote:
I didn't say they were trash. I didn't insinuate they were either. But the reality is they we're low draft picks 5th rounders or worse. Usually that low of a draft pick means the players have deficient play or limited skill.

Now apply those skills against better players on the other team vs those players and they are simply overmatched even if they become a starter, hence it is common sense to look to PROVEN FAs with higher skill levels.

I love contrarians you all just want to oppose the obvious instead of analyze the situation and make the best decision for the team. Most late round draft picks end up as journey men or in a back up role not an ELITE starter. BTW a team to be great needs a players who dominate their opponent on the other side of the ball.

So the answer find the best player and if we have no money left to solve a hole we look to the current roster or the upcoming draft to fill the hole and hope and pray it works.
You absolutely suggested Allen is trash. Sullivan was terrible and Allen couldn't beat him, so he's gotta be trash.

Allen is a 4th rounder. Many, many very successful centers are drafted in mid-to-late rounds or even go undrafted. Paradis was a 6th rounder... David Andrews with the Pats was undrafted.. Ryan Jensen was a sixth rounder.
His biggest issue is his lack of size... but he's got the arm length, strength and athleticism to play the position and was an excellent starter in college.
I'm not being contrarian at all. Teams draft and develop players in the mid rounds to be starters in the interior OLine constantly in the NFL.
Could the Rams end up going first round for a Center? I guess it's possible.
As far as having elite players... first round picks, to me, are players at difference maker positions. Left tackle, Corners and pass rushers are all way ahead of center for me... Wide receivers would be next.

Sure, there is the unknown with Allen, and I'm sure the Rams are going to protect themselves by having a solid backup plan. Try to remember how they ended up with Sullivan.

3-24-16

49RH8R
Starter

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 am

UplandRam wrote:
we were lucky to hit on whitworth and talib but talib did miss some time. the team needs to be careful going after someone like clay matthews because he will take a roster spot from a younger guy. i think weddle has more in the tank like whit did but not sure about matthews.

the guys most effected will be the later round guys like trevon young, justin lawler, travin howard. that will get even more crowded after the draft.

rong
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am

We will see on Weddle, he has lost a step due to age, hopefully he can overcome that with his wits....I'm afraid of Clay Matthews personally, don't know how much he has left in the tank...basically lost his job toward the end of the season didn't he?....hope we draft a safety to learn from Weddle this year or next, would love to see at least one experienced ILB free agent for sure

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 am

rong wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am
We will see on Weddle, he has lost a step due to age, hopefully he can overcome that with his wits....I'm afraid of Clay Matthews personally, don't know how much he has left in the tank...basically lost his job toward the end of the season didn't he?....hope we draft a safety to learn from Weddle this year or next, would love to see at least one experienced ILB free agent for sure
Clay Mattews on a cheap deal is a solid option, imo. As I've said before, look at how Chris Long did and how he was used. Have a plan to not over use Clay, and you'll get some decent pass rush.
I'm less worried about developing guys like Young and Lawler than I am creating pressure opposite Fowler.

3-24-16

UplandRam
Site Admin

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:24 am

Matthews is an interesting option. He isn’t the player he once was an I am not sure where he would fit. I suppose he could be a rotational guy as long as we pay him for the player he is now and not pay him for what he once was.
It is important to have experienced players to bring the young guys along... I think we have enough of those guys in Whit, Talib, Donald, Weddle, etc.

malibu
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am

Dick84 wrote:
malibu wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

You absolutely suggested Allen is trash. Sullivan was terrible and Allen couldn't beat him, so he's gotta be trash.

Allen is a 4th rounder. Many, many very successful centers are drafted in mid-to-late rounds or even go undrafted. Paradis was a 6th rounder... David Andrews with the Pats was undrafted.. Ryan Jensen was a sixth rounder.
His biggest issue is his lack of size... but he's got the arm length, strength and athleticism to play the position and was an excellent starter in college.
I'm not being contrarian at all. Teams draft and develop players in the mid rounds to be starters in the interior OLine constantly in the NFL.
As far as having elite players... first round picks, to me, are players at difference maker positions. Left tackle, Corners and pass rushers are all way ahead of center for me... Wide receivers would be next.

Sure, there is the unknown with Allen, and I'm sure the Rams are going to protect themselves by having a solid backup plan. Try to remember how they ended up with Sullivan.
Where did I say Allen is trash. I have been very consistent on Noteboom and Allen in many threads. Both have a very limited sample size of work. Allen more so than Noteboom usually competes for playing time at Center mainly. I said Sully who is NOT a highly rated Center actually in bottom third of all starting Centers is still considered better than Allen or Allen would have beat him out.

What I have said we need a MAJOR upgrade at the Center position, why because I said Goff is a traditional pocket passer. The Center and 2 Guard positions play a huge role in Goff's success. The only other option is to be more Tom Brady like and throw much quicker eliminating the rush up the middle. Looking at McVays offense that is not his style. Goff usually starts out from under center and fakes the hand off to the jet sweeps, RB and then sets up to throw. Those fakes are designed to slow the rush but they also take a long time to develop. Thus Goff needs an elite Center I don't think Allen is that Center and I don't won't Goff killed while we experiment with trying him out.

You all know I pounded the table for Paradis as a key acquisition this off-season. He would be like Whit. When Whit cane and took over the LT spot a huge sigh came over Rams nation.

Please don't put words in my mouth. Do your homework on what I say before spreading "fake news.". I comment a ton it is very easy to go and review my povs.

toast49
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:34 am

Matthews is a proven professional pass rusher and the Rams could manage his snaps and practice time to maximize his effect. I think it would be a good one year signing.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:19 pm

malibu wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am
Dick84 wrote:
malibu wrote:

Where did I say Allen is trash. I have been very consistent on Noteboom and Allen in many threads. Both have a very limited sample size of work. Allen more so than Noteboom usually competes for playing time at Center mainly. I said Sully who is NOT a highly rated Center actually in bottom third of all starting Centers is still considered better than Allen or Allen would have beat him out.

What I have said we need a MAJOR upgrade at the Center position, why because I said Goff is a traditional pocket passer. The Center and 2 Guard positions play a huge role in Goff's success. The only other option is to be more Tom Brady like and throw much quicker eliminating the rush up the middle. Looking at McVays offense that is not his style. Goff usually starts out from under center and fakes the hand off to the jet sweeps, RB and then sets up to throw. Those fakes are designed to slow the rush but they also take a long time to develop. Thus Goff needs an elite Center I don't think Allen is that Center and I don't won't Goff killed while we experiment with trying him out.

You all know I pounded the table for Paradis as a key acquisition this off-season. He would be like Whit. When Whit cane and took over the LT spot a huge sigh came over Rams nation.

Please don't put words in my mouth. Do your homework on what I say before spreading "fake news.". I comment a ton it is very easy to go and review my povs.
Gonna day it again... if Sullivan is bad and you’re suggesting Allen isn’t good because he couldn’t beat Sullivan out, you’re saying Allen is trash. Period.
It’s not fake news. Words mean something.

Also... Again.. compare Paradis at this point in his career with Allen.

Edit add.. didn’t write that well.. compare Allen to Paradis at same point in their careers.
Last edited by Dick84 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3-24-16

Slickjack
Starter

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:54 pm

We need Ebukam to step up this year. He really flashed against the Chiefs.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:52 am

toast49 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:34 am
Matthews is a proven professional pass rusher and the Rams could manage his snaps and practice time to maximize his effect. I think it would be a good one year signing.
^^^^THIS^^^^
but will he play on the cheap?

Rate this topic