20% Discount For Rams Fans

Gerald Everett named Rams' 'surprise offseason standout' by ESPN

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Post Reply
RamBill
Hall of Famer
Posts: 10783
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Gerald Everett named Rams' 'surprise offseason standout' by ESPN

By:Andrew Ortenberg

ESPN recently had its writers list a ‘surprise offseason standout’ for all 32 teams, and Lindsey Thiry wrote that the Rams’ has been Everett.

“Through the offseason program, Everett was a clear standout as a target for quarterback Jared Goff,” Thiry writes. She notes that head coach Sean McVay recently said that “the game is slowing down for him,” and that he’s “continuing to progress and take steps.”

Everett was the subject of a lot of hype last offseason, and although he had a few huge moments in 2018, the year was mostly a disappointment. In the end, he finished with 33 catches for 320 yards and three touchdowns.

Go to Full Article--
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... d-everett/
Last edited by RamBill on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.



sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:46 pm

my early pick to click this year



malibu
Veteran
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 am

I don't agree he has had several years to show his skills - it didn't take multi years for Kupp to shine. I think he will be fine not great.



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

malibu wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 am
I don't agree he has had several years to show his skills - it didn't take multi years for Kupp to shine. I think he will be fine not great.
Kupp seemed to have his share of drops his first year (I'm guessing he would agree?). He will continue to improve as well = I don't see why Everett couldn't be in the same ballpark as a Ram's weapon as Kupp.



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 2366
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 am

malibu wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 am
I don't agree he has had several years to show his skills - it didn't take multi years for Kupp to shine. I think he will be fine not great.
Valid point but some of the "great" TE's in the NFL didn't blossom as fast as Kupp did either. This O will add a new element if we get some high quality play from the TE position. I'm encouraged by Everett. I hope this is true and not just hype.



malibu
Veteran
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am

RamPower wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am
malibu wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 am
I don't agree he has had several years to show his skills - it didn't take multi years for Kupp to shine. I think he will be fine not great.
Kupp seemed to have his share of drops his first year (I'm guessing he would agree?). He will continue to improve as well = I don't see why Everett couldn't be in the same ballpark as a Ram's weapon as Kupp.
No comparison, in Kupp's first year 2017 he had 62 catches for 869 yards. I would say that is a fantastic first year compared to Everett - 2017 - 16 catches for 254 yards and 2018 - 33 catches for 320 yards both years combined neither the catches or yards add up to what Kupp did in one year.

Everett imo was an average pick but glad for him to prove me wrong but he was a second round pick not great for such a high pick



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:07 am

Everett started ok, then stalled his rookie season. Different positions/offensive schemes as well vs. Kupp. I'm talking about what I personally see as potential with Everett. He looks to be solid now. Some obvious key catches last year, and looking stellar this off-season as well.

A direct comparison with Kupp from two years ago doesn't seem the point IMO...



User avatar
RamIt!!!
Rookie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 am

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:49 am

I'll be stoked if we just get some nice depth from this second rounder - will be gravy if he hits his stride and contributes big for us. Will be great for Goff to be able to spread it around more this season.



sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm

malibu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am
RamPower wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am
malibu wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 am
I don't agree he has had several years to show his skills - it didn't take multi years for Kupp to shine. I think he will be fine not great.
Kupp seemed to have his share of drops his first year (I'm guessing he would agree?). He will continue to improve as well = I don't see why Everett couldn't be in the same ballpark as a Ram's weapon as Kupp.
No comparison, in Kupp's first year 2017 he had 62 catches for 869 yards. I would say that is a fantastic first year compared to Everett - 2017 - 16 catches for 254 yards and 2018 - 33 catches for 320 yards both years combined neither the catches or yards add up to what Kupp did in one year.

Everett imo was an average pick but glad for him to prove me wrong but he was a second round pick not great for such a high pick
I don't think McV is inclined to have a 60 reception TE just yet....I think he is in love with his wr crew and going with that. I do, however, think he has a weapon emerging with Everette and he is seeing it....that changes philosophy and game planning.

The Saints didn't have an answer for Everette in the NFC championship and that's why they went to him.....I'll also add a scramble went to him that wasn't by design....but the point is, it was eye opening on my second go round watching the game.

Comparing the 2 guys is apples and oranges (cliche alert) it's all about matchups and Everette is a mismatch and emerging as a key component.



malibu
Veteran
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:57 pm

sanbagger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm
malibu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am
RamPower wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am


Kupp seemed to have his share of drops his first year (I'm guessing he would agree?). He will continue to improve as well = I don't see why Everett couldn't be in the same ballpark as a Ram's weapon as Kupp.
No comparison, in Kupp's first year 2017 he had 62 catches for 869 yards. I would say that is a fantastic first year compared to Everett - 2017 - 16 catches for 254 yards and 2018 - 33 catches for 320 yards both years combined neither the catches or yards add up to what Kupp did in one year.

Everett imo was an average pick but glad for him to prove me wrong but he was a second round pick not great for such a high pick
I don't think McV is inclined to have a 60 reception TE just yet....I think he is in love with his wr crew and going with that. I do, however, think he has a weapon emerging with Everette and he is seeing it....that changes philosophy and game planning.

The Saints didn't have an answer for Everette in the NFC championship and that's why they went to him.....I'll also add a scramble went to him that wasn't by design....but the point is, it was eye opening on my second go round watching the game.

Comparing the 2 guys is apples and oranges (cliche alert) it's all about matchups and Everette is a mismatch and emerging as a key component.
Not sure I get your argument. First every coach wants his players to massively succeed. If Everett was so good McVay would design more plays for him. McVay was an ex TEs coach so he is extremely well versed in the value and abilities of TEs. Being in love in his WRs is code word for Everett is an average TE.



sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:22 pm

malibu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:57 pm
sanbagger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm
malibu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am


No comparison, in Kupp's first year 2017 he had 62 catches for 869 yards. I would say that is a fantastic first year compared to Everett - 2017 - 16 catches for 254 yards and 2018 - 33 catches for 320 yards both years combined neither the catches or yards add up to what Kupp did in one year.

Everett imo was an average pick but glad for him to prove me wrong but he was a second round pick not great for such a high pick
I don't think McV is inclined to have a 60 reception TE just yet....I think he is in love with his wr crew and going with that. I do, however, think he has a weapon emerging with Everette and he is seeing it....that changes philosophy and game planning.

The Saints didn't have an answer for Everette in the NFC championship and that's why they went to him.....I'll also add a scramble went to him that wasn't by design....but the point is, it was eye opening on my second go round watching the game.

Comparing the 2 guys is apples and oranges (cliche alert) it's all about matchups and Everette is a mismatch and emerging as a key component.
Not sure I get your argument. First every coach wants his players to massively succeed. If Everett was so good McVay would design more plays for him. McVay was an ex TEs coach so he is extremely well versed in the value and abilities of TEs. Being in love in his WRs is code word for Everett is an average TE.
Well...it's not an argument..it's just disagreeing with your logic that because he didn't perform like Kupp in year 1 that he was average and will continue to be average,

McV has criticized himself for getting away from the run game, that featured Gurley, to be pass happy...and if he can eave Gurley behind then certainly Everette could be left behind.

I am aware of McV's background...I also believe he has a plan in place once the TE can perform to the level he's looking for....and that just may well be this year.

Code word? nonsense

After watching the NFC championship game again I just noticed he was a mismatch....it jumped off the screen to me.....you don't see it...shrug....ok then....I also believe players develop just like I didn't believe Goff's first couple years were who he was, still don't think he's a finished product.



Rammer
Veteran
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:17 pm

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:43 am

I don't know what this really means. I guess it tells me that at least they are trying to focus on this long neglected part of our passing game. Having a big tight end to go to that catches the ball in traffic would be nice. Especially when nothing else is working.



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:34 am

sanbagger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:22 pm
malibu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:57 pm
sanbagger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm


I don't think McV is inclined to have a 60 reception TE just yet....I think he is in love with his wr crew and going with that. I do, however, think he has a weapon emerging with Everette and he is seeing it....that changes philosophy and game planning.

The Saints didn't have an answer for Everette in the NFC championship and that's why they went to him.....I'll also add a scramble went to him that wasn't by design....but the point is, it was eye opening on my second go round watching the game.

Comparing the 2 guys is apples and oranges (cliche alert) it's all about matchups and Everette is a mismatch and emerging as a key component.
Not sure I get your argument. First every coach wants his players to massively succeed. If Everett was so good McVay would design more plays for him. McVay was an ex TEs coach so he is extremely well versed in the value and abilities of TEs. Being in love in his WRs is code word for Everett is an average TE.
Well...it's not an argument..it's just disagreeing with your logic that because he didn't perform like Kupp in year 1 that he was average and will continue to be average,

McV has criticized himself for getting away from the run game, that featured Gurley, to be pass happy...and if he can eave Gurley behind then certainly Everette could be left behind.

I am aware of McV's background...I also believe he has a plan in place once the TE can perform to the level he's looking for....and that just may well be this year.

Code word? nonsense

After watching the NFC championship game again I just noticed he was a mismatch....it jumped off the screen to me.....you don't see it...shrug....ok then....I also believe players develop just like I didn't believe Goff's first couple years were who he was, still don't think he's a finished product.
I agree with all that...of course I could understand why McVay might fall in love with his receiving corp a tad, as they could be the best in the NFL.



User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 758
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 pm

sanbagger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm
malibu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am
RamPower wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am


Kupp seemed to have his share of drops his first year (I'm guessing he would agree?). He will continue to improve as well = I don't see why Everett couldn't be in the same ballpark as a Ram's weapon as Kupp.
No comparison, in Kupp's first year 2017 he had 62 catches for 869 yards. I would say that is a fantastic first year compared to Everett - 2017 - 16 catches for 254 yards and 2018 - 33 catches for 320 yards both years combined neither the catches or yards add up to what Kupp did in one year.

Everett imo was an average pick but glad for him to prove me wrong but he was a second round pick not great for such a high pick
I don't think McV is inclined to have a 60 reception TE just yet....I think he is in love with his wr crew and going with that. I do, however, think he has a weapon emerging with Everette and he is seeing it....that changes philosophy and game planning.

The Saints didn't have an answer for Everette in the NFC championship and that's why they went to him.....I'll also add a scramble went to him that wasn't by design....but the point is, it was eye opening on my second go round watching the game.

Comparing the 2 guys is apples and oranges (cliche alert) it's all about matchups and Everette is a mismatch and emerging as a key component.
Although to keep opponents off balance I think it would behoove coach Sean to integrate a lot more of his Washington playbook he had for Reed this season. With Henderson on board and if Sean does that for Everett, he's got enough jokers outside of his big 5 to be totally unpredictable. Less catches but even bigger yards for his WR's. Everett I dont think was the disappointment. Sean just went with Gurley and WR's most of the time in the passing game.



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 2366
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am

CierraRam wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 pm
Everett I dont think was the disappointment. Sean just went with Gurley and WR's most of the time in the passing game.
That's what I think as well. Not to mention that young gun QB often times looks downfield for a home run.



User avatar
Safety Blitz
Veteran
Posts: 2002
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 am

He's improving and growing confidence.


"In McVay We Trust!"

User avatar
29TheBest
Veteran
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 am

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 am

Well I don't see why we are even comparing the 2 players or positions. This is great news as expanding this game plan to include the TE makes the offense all the more dangerous. Now there obviously has been something wrong in the game plan because we haven't been able to get the TE position involved in the game plan, be it McVay of Goff. To compare a slot receiver and a TE who has to block linemen, linebackers as part of their job just doesn't seem to match up. Now I am still skeptical and will believe in Everett once I see it for myself



EkernMLB
Veteran
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 am

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:29 am

It's not really fair to compare catches from a slot receiver to a TE. There's only a handful of guys that ever played the position that put anywhere near those type of numbers, such as Gonzalez and Winslow.

Even an all pro like Gronk only went over 80 catches twice in his career, and never over 90. Same with Antonio Gates - 15 year career, sure fire hall of famer, went over 80 catches twice.

An average slot receiver can get 80.



User avatar
Jack85Youngblood
Veteran
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 pm

The Rams did not draft a TE; nor have they gone after one in free agency yet this year(except for undrafted ones). It seems like they are happy with the group.


Image

sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:25 pm

Jack85Youngblood wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 pm
The Rams did not draft a TE; nor have they gone after one in free agency yet this year(except for undrafted ones). It seems like they are happy with the group.
Great point....I think they really like the group they have and are ready to roll with it. Does that mean McV and Goff are willing to give 80-100 touches to the TE's? I wouldn't go that far but they just may make them realize they have mismatches that need to be exploited.



Rammer
Veteran
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:17 pm

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:15 am

Clovis wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am
CierraRam wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 pm
Everett I dont think was the disappointment. Sean just went with Gurley and WR's most of the time in the passing game.
That's what I think as well. Not to mention that young gun QB often times looks downfield for a home run.
It's hard to say that Everett was a disappointment. That's a stretch. But at the same time something didn't seem to click at TE in the passing game..... Was it Everett or Sean or Goff? The chicken or the egg? Whatever happened, Everett wasn't used that much in the pass game. McVay didn't feature him, Goff never felt that comfortable going to him. Everett didn't instill confidence? I think especially early in the season, every thing else like Kupp was working so well that the chemistry between Goff and Everett just never developed. When checking down, Goff's brain just wan't focused on him. Whatever it was, I am hoping that this ESPN story shows that the Rams have been working on getting the chemistry going.



Post Reply
Rate this topic