Goff's Horrible TD/INT Ratio

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Pro-bowler

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 pm

Goff needs to get over his self-satisfied love relationship he has with himself and realize he has some serious work to do if he is to become an elite QB.

I want him to succeed but another lackluster year won't cut it.

Go Rams

"In McVay We Trust!"

Commish
Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:
Goff needs to get over his self-satisfied love relationship he has with himself and realize he has some serious work to do if he is to become an elite QB.

Go Rams
From all I've read about, and heard him talking about, Jared Goff isn't at all "self-satisfied" with his performance at QB over this past season.

Anyone not living inside a 'Hobbit hole' in the Shire knows that the guy had a disappointing year in 2019. However, he can hardly fix our team's "O" entirely on his own, can he?

At least we know that Goff *can* perform at a superior level with the proper support, don't we...?? ;) 8-) :?:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

RamPower
Pro-bowler

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 pm

Commish wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:31 pm
Safety Blitz wrote:

Go Rams
From all I've read about, and heard him talking about, Jared Goff isn't at all "self-satisfied" with his performance at QB over this past season.

Anyone not living inside a 'Hobbit hole' in the Shire knows that the guy had a disappointing year in 2019. However, he can hardly fix our team's "O" entirely on his own, can he?

At least we know that Goff *can* perform at a superior level with the proper support, don't we...?? ;) 8-) :?:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Yep, good answer.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm

21 turnovers is just awful. A disgrace. Another season like that and I will be rooting for him to be gone.

SoCalRam78
Pro-bowler

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:19 pm

I think he’s going to have a big year next year. Mean like a 30 plus TD with 10 or so INT. And 65 percent completion or higher. I think the Rams offense will be back.

I think O’Connell will be huge. Goff lost his QB coach and O coordinator after 2017. Then Taylor after 2018. O’Connell is a QB guru. I also think McVay offense will have more looks and balance. Talent is there. Line will be better.

Fan since 80s

RamPower
Pro-bowler

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:03 pm

brasilrams wrote:
21 turnovers is just awful. A disgrace. Another season like that and I will be rooting for him to be gone.
Some context tho. Yes, Goff didn't impress last year. But to think he "regressed" in a vacuum is off the mark. Goff needs more than feeble O-line and run game support. Throw more/too much, more bad things can happen (obviously yes, turnovers). Goff was tied for second most throws last year (and yeah I realize his TD total wasn't impressive as well). 2019 wasn't a formula for Rams offensive success, esp. for Goff. He can of course be extremely effective when in a position to succeed. An average O-line and run game would be a huge step for Goff, McVay and the entire offense.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:

Go Rams
This is fucking stupid.
Come back with a real take.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Cornell29
Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Imo one of the biggest reasons why KOC was hired as OC was to help Goff. This freeze up Mcvay to create game plans etc.

KOC did a good job with Haskins and I expect similar results with Goff

Goff is far from full of himself. Goff always comes off as humble and wanting and willing to improve.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 pm

RamPower wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:03 pm
brasilrams wrote:
Some context tho. Yes, Goff didn't impress last year. But to think he "regressed" in a vacuum is off the mark. Goff needs more than feeble O-line and run game support. Throw more/too much, more bad things can happen (obviously yes, turnovers). Goff was tied for second most throws last year (and yeah I realize his TD total wasn't impressive as well). 2019 wasn't a formula for Rams offensive success, esp. for Goff. He can of course be extremely effective when in a position to succeed. An average O-line and run game would be a huge step for Goff, McVay and the entire offense.
Usually agree with you bro but not this time. I think goff regressed too much . Bad o line and bad running game , YES , but even so his numbers were not supposed to be that bad even under those conditions . His decision making when throwing the ball regressed waaaaaay too much . He didn't look NEAR the qb he was for 17 and most of 18 season . Let's hope he can come back . Some of his bonehead throws concerned me a LOT this season .

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Cornell29 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:34 pm
Imo one of the biggest reasons why KOC was hired as OC was to help Goff. This freeze up Mcvay to create game plans etc.

KOC did a good job with Haskins and I expect similar results with Goff

Goff is far from full of himself. Goff always comes off as humble and wanting and willing to improve.
He can be over confident sometimes . You gotta know your limitations and don't try to do more than you can do .

crazy-legs
Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Goff, IMO, is fine. He's a SB caliber QB. With that said, like any QB, he needs help up front. If one can't look at the drop off of not only Goff but our RB's and not realize the issue was with the O-Line then....

We have to get more stout on both sides of the line. We got pushed around by good D-Lines and on D we got mauled by strong O-Lines. Not hard to understand it all starts up front - on both sides of the ball...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

zackn
Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:

Go Rams
Is this going to be another discussion where some people focus on the qb exclusively and completely forget about the fact that (with rare exceptions) qbs behind shakey OLs simply do not play as well?

Pro Football Reference now gives stats on qb pressures per game so this is easy to determine.

In games where the Rams allowed 8 or more pressures, they were 2-6. In games where they allowed 7 pressures or less, they were 7-1.

Does Goff need to improve? Most good 4th year qbs have to improve, yeah. But it ain't just him and unless that OL gets fixed, Goff improving on his own won't change the situation much.

RAMFAN71
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 am

He has to do a better job- that's all there really is to say. Every QB has adversity. The best rise above. That said, I think the coach/OC has a LOT to do with their success. McVay looks like he is turning the corner on his play calling. Hope he and the new guy can come up with something special next year. We have a contending team- but not forever. Lets get back to the SB now.

Did we hire a new QB coach? I forget if that was something we did or we are looking to do for Goff.

"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

zackn
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:31 am

RAMFAN71 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 am
He has to do a better job- that's all there really is to say. Every QB has adversity.
Name all the qbs who have played effectively and well when their OL is either seriously subpar or collapses due to multiple injuries.

I know the myth.Haven't seen it hold up though.

Over and over we have seen qbs struggle because their OL is a mess. And I am not even talking about having to have an elite OL. Just solid and relatively healthy.

The 2 exceptions I have seen were Brady and Wilson in years when their OLs were seriously damaged, but even then, in both cases, it caught up with them (like in the post-season).

One good example of the difference is Bulger in 2006 and 2007. It's an example I use a lot because I remember discussing it at the time.

In 2006 the OL took a bit to stabilize but it was never a catastrophe. In 2007 the OL was so injured up they were replacing injured replacements with guys off the street.

Bulger in 2006 & 2007:

2006: 62.9% completions, 4.1% TDs, 1.4% INTs, 7.3 YPA, 92.9 qb rating, played every game
2007: 58.5% completions, 2.9% TDs, 4.0% INTs, 6.3 YPA, 70.3 qb rating, missed some games + played with damaged ribs

UK Rams Fan
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am

Its not all on Jared... The play calling was off along with the balanced run/pass offence that you need to succeed.

McVay is already addressing these things to help Jared out and get better productivity out of his franchise QB.

Enter Mr Kevin O'Connell

zackn
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:56 am

UK Rams Fan wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am
Its not all on Jared... The play calling was off along with the balanced run/pass offence that you need to succeed.

McVay is already addressing these things to help Jared out and get better productivity out of his franchise QB.

Enter Mr Kevin O'Connell
OL.

The OL had a direct effect on playcalling.

And they got behind in so many games it had a direct effect on the pass/run ratio so it's not easy to make simple conclusions about that.

Honestly the key to all of this is the OL. If that's stable a lot falls in line with it. If it's not stable it's hard for a lot of other things to go right.

RAMFAN71
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am

I agree the OL dictated the play calling somewhat...more reliant on Goff when we can't run. Then, we can't pass protect. So.....yes, Goff has a bad year. He can do a better job at NOT turning the ball over, by throwing the ball away, and communicating with McVay on what he needs. The 11 vs 12 set makes a big difference as well as the rollouts. So there are things the QB and coach can do together.

EastBayRamsFan
Starter

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 am

The post regarding Marc Bulger was brilliant.....Marc I believe holds the record for most accurate Rams QB (for a period). I advocated dumping the greatest Ram QB ever in Kurt Warner due to Marc's accuracy (mistake). Thanks god we have Goff who will keep us winning for years.

Just watch Marc Bulger's downfield accuracy vs Samantha Bradford and you will be shocked at the difference. If Marc's #'s declined this is definitely due to the O-Line play.

-ZackN....is this ZN from the "other" board?

RAMFAN71
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:41 am

Goff is a keeper. Running out of things to talk about til we get some more clarity on who is in and who is out.

zackn
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:36 pm

EastBayRamsFan wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 am
The post regarding Marc Bulger was brilliant.....Marc I believe holds the record for most accurate Rams QB (for a period). I advocated dumping the greatest Ram QB ever in Kurt Warner due to Marc's accuracy (mistake). Thanks god we have Goff who will keep us winning for years.

Just watch Marc Bulger's downfield accuracy vs Samantha Bradford and you will be shocked at the difference. If Marc's #'s declined this is definitely due to the O-Line play.

-ZackN....is this ZN from the "other" board?
Yep, zn is ZackN. (Just don't tell him.)

One reason I remembered to look at the Bulger numbers is that at the time, in 2007, the same debate raged--yeah there are OL injuries, said some, but, good qbs rise above that. To which the response is always, yeah? like who?

By the end of the 2007 season the Rams were starting OL they signed during the season, who were out of football when they signed them and never played again after the season was over. It was an OL apocalypse that year.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:04 pm

“Self-satisfied love relationship he has with himself”.

To define another garbage thread started by OP. The real surprise is he didn’t find away to create a survey on such crap.

zackn
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:33 pm

RAMFAN71 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am
I agree the OL dictated the play calling somewhat...more reliant on Goff when we can't run. Then, we can't pass protect. So.....yes, Goff has a bad year. He can do a better job at NOT turning the ball over, by throwing the ball away, and communicating with McVay on what he needs. The 11 vs 12 set makes a big difference as well as the rollouts. So there are things the QB and coach can do together.
None of which does anything about poor OL play.

And in terms of throwing the ball away, JG was in the top 3 qbs at doing that.

Poor OL not only means pressure, and changed playcalling, it also means playing from behind a lot with the defense teeing off, it means more 2nd and 3rd and long situations, it means more penalties, it means the timing and rhythm of plays is off, it means the qb starts pressing to make something happen, etc.

I think it's revealing that whenever this comes up and some people say the qb should rise to the challenge, no one names examples of that happening. I could only think of 2, and they couldn't always pull it off.

In contrast we have seen plenty of games where the Rams pass rush was dominant enough to unravel top qbs, like (in the past) Brees for example. Heck in 2018 by the end of the game Mahomes was pressing and off and throwing bad passes. Well with a busted up OL, that means every game for the Rams is like what the Rams pass rush at its best has done to other qbs,

But people keep inventing these unrealistic and unlikely scenarios where presumably it doesn';t matter.

Commish
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 pm

zackn wrote:

I think it's revealing that whenever this comes up and some people say the qb should rise to the challenge, no one names examples of that happening. I could only think of 2, and they couldn't always pull it off.

In contrast we have seen plenty of games where the Rams pass rush was dominant enough to unravel top qbs, like (in the past) Brees for example. Heck in 2018 by the end of the game Mahomes was pressing and off and throwing bad passes.

The last time the Rams faced each of those "2" QBs, our team's "D" shut them down--13 points and 6 points on "O" for their respective teams... :) 8-) :geek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Raminec
Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 pm

Goff’s first 11 games 11 TDS 12 Interceptions
Goff’s last. 5 games 11 TDS. 4 interceptions

Goff’s turnovers decreased and his touchdown passes increased down the stretch when the offensive line play became more consistent and they were more efficient in the run game.

Sorry my optimistic perspective doesn’t fit your negative narrative.

zackn
Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:24 am

Commish wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 pm
zackn wrote:

In contrast we have seen plenty of games where the Rams pass rush was dominant enough to unravel top qbs, like (in the past) Brees for example. Heck in 2018 by the end of the game Mahomes was pressing and off and throwing bad passes.
The last time the Rams faced each of those "2" QBs, our team's "D" shut them down--13 points and 6 points on "O" for their respective teams... :) 8-) :geek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
I was thinking especially of 2015 with the Patz and 2017 with Seattle. Those are years where they each had multiple OL injuries. Brady and Wilson could still play--for different reasons--but in the end, and a couple of times each before the end, it caught up with them. 2017 was the year Donald got to Wilson so bad that Wilson ended up throwing a pass backwards as he got spun in AD's grasp.

Rate this topic
  • Information