Goff's Primary Weakness

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 am

He admitted recently he has to do a much better job of sensing pressure to avoid fumbles. I hold my breath every time he stands tall in the pocket while going through his reads when defenders are closing in on him.

The fumble he made during the Pro Bowl was a typical example of this.

"In McVay We Trust!"

VIRGINIARAM68
Starter

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:
He admitted recently he has to do a much better job of sensing pressure to avoid fumbles. I hold my breath every time he stands tall in the pocket while going through his reads when defenders are closing in on him.

How about piss poor protection from a pro bowl line !

harkin
Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Earth to casual fans: QBs may fumble when they aren’t protected properly and are hit from the blind side.

Ants
Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 pm

harkin wrote:
Earth to casual fans: QBs may fumble when they aren’t protected properly and are hit from the blind side.
I think you're giving safetyblitz a little too much credit by calling him a "casual fan".
Let's call him what he is: a "fair weather fan". :D

:idea: Let's win some games.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 am

This is a better example.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Rammer
Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am

Ants wrote:
harkin wrote:
I think you're giving safetyblitz a little too much credit by calling him a "casual fan".

Imo, it's probably too early to determine what Goff's true weaknesses are. (Unless he is Aaron Rodgers, he will have some. ) It seems every young qb has an issue with pocket awareness. On the extremes, some are too jumpy and too quick to run and some don't seem to feel the pressure coming at all. Goff's tendency does seem to lean toward the not feeling the pressure coming as good as he should. And yes over the course of a season, this could result in a few more fumbles.... It is something that he needs to work on and he knows it. ... Carson Wentz tends to hold the ball too long sometimes, not so much to run but to try to extend a play rather than just release the ball. Every young qb has things to work on.

But why feel the need to attack the poster? I think too many of you are still overly sensitive about Goff. I get it, he had a very rough rookie year and took a lot of criticism. The struggles made him better and he's grown. He's becoming our real franchise QB....Yes, he is gonna continue to get critiqued and compared to his peers. That's good. I don't want to have to treat him with kid gloves. I had enough of that with Bradford.

Ants
Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 am

Rammer wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am
Ants wrote:
harkin wrote:

But why feel the need to attack the poster? I think too many of you are still overly sensitive about Goff. I get it, he had a very rough rookie year and took a lot of criticism. The struggles made him better and he's grown. He's becoming our real franchise QB....Yes, he is gonna continue to get critiqued and compared to his peers. That's good. I don't want to have to treat him with kid gloves. I had enough of that with Bradford.
Because the poster has a long history of being negative (at his best) and outright bonkers (at his worst). And frankly, it was a fairly accurate statement I made.
And for the record, I'm more than happy with Goff - I'm not sensitive about him - but he's very young still. I take issue with young guys taking flack because they make mistakes. OF COURSE THEY MAKE MISTAKES!
And guess what? Some of them actually suck in their first year or 2. So what? Is our need for instant gratification so great that we no longer give players a chance to learn and grow?
That's pretty crappy IMO.

:idea: Let's win some games.

Rammer
Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am

Because the poster has a long history of being negative (at his best) and outright bonkers (at his worst). And frankly, it was a fairly accurate statement I made.
And for the record, I'm more than happy with Goff - I'm not sensitive about him - but he's very young still. I take issue with young guys taking flack because they make mistakes. OF COURSE THEY MAKE MISTAKES!
And guess what? Some of them actually suck in their first year or 2. So what? Is our need for instant gratification so great that we no longer give players a chance to learn and grow?
That's pretty crappy IMO.
[/quote]

Imo, The critiquing goes with the territory of being a starting QB or actually any professional athlete. They get to live the dream and we all watch and critique. That's what it is all about. As long as its not so personal or hateful, it is fine...

Clovis
Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:
He admitted recently he has to do a much better job of sensing pressure to avoid fumbles.
I think "much better" is an overstatement. From year 1-2 he made much improvement with turnovers. A person could tell he was learning how to feel the pressure and the kid stepped up nicely. I'm sure he can still improve but c'mon, are e looking for something to worry about? Good Lawd

sloramfan
Starter

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm

better example of what?...

goff stepping up in the pocket as he feels long coming around? only to have williams whiff so bad, and be completely out of position to create any kind of last second push, or chip on long, even though qoff senses long's presence, and alertly moves up in the pocket, williams is so out of the play, he can't even grab long for a holding penalty...

great example...goff did what he was supposed to do on the play, it was williams that blew the whole thing...

go rams

slo

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 am

Thanks, Rammer, for being rational. I don't see myself as negative and judgmental. I try to assess strengths and weaknesses. McVay is successful in part because he's always looking at things he can do to make himself and players better.

For the record, I was early on one of the few posters who pointed out the inevitable ineptitude of Fisher, Bradford, Schottenheimer and many more.

I'm very high on Luis Suarez because we need am excellent #2 QB. McVay is my favorite Head Coach ever. I'm thrilled we have Whitworth, Woods, Kupp, Gurley, Goff and many others. Cooks promises to be one of the best WRs the Rams have ever had.

I love the Rams and always have ever since Roman Gabriel was QB. Supported the Rams all my life and yes all along the way I called out BS when I saw it. I called out Georgia and Shaw when they moved to STL and destroyed our roster.

I respected George Allen but he was a moron offensively. Same thing with John Robinson and Chuck Knox. Guys who couldn't win it all because they didn't know how to use the passing game to help the ground game.

I didn't venerate Dickerson because he said, "Don't throw me the ball!"

This team and coaching staff are the best we have ever had and McVay will lead us to Superbowl victories. We may become of the Patriots of the Western Conference.

So to those of you who slam me personally, I say, " Please grow up!"

I flew to Dallas to watch the 1979 game against Dallas and this play delighted me like no other.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Hari rama
Starter

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 am

Billy Waddy was always one of my favorite receivers, one of the fastest. Of course the inimitable Vin Scully calling the game made it even more enjoyable.

CierraRam
Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 pm

I remember that game...and yeah, to all of those who said the thicker horns on the helmet need to come back... I AGREE

Idaho_Ram
Starter

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:57 pm

You can make the argument that his weakness of holding on to the ball too long is also a strength. How many of the plays on this highlight real have him standing tall, eyes downfield, to pick up his third receiver for a big play. It's part of the bargain when you buy time and think agressively. You'll lose a few. But the dude is a gunslinger and looking pretty darn good to me.

Bildeaux
Rookie

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I remember some of these "Board handles" from STL PD "Ram Stalk". Could be coincidental, but anyone, like Safety Blitz, part of the old posters there? Just curious.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:42 pm

I was Hangtime on STL PD. Enjoyed many conversations with Gordon and Bernie. I was slandered incessantly there.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Goff has plenty of thinks he can improve.

I have no doubt he will.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 am

Safety Blitz wrote:

It is a legitimate concern. The interesting part about his struggles in this regard as it was viewed as one of his strenghts during the draft evaluation process.

I watched the play you posted in pro bowl live and Goff clearly had no clue defender was coming

I do expect him to improve in this area, but this area is also why I am concerned about the loss of Olsen. Olsen's coaching clearly had a positive effect on Goff in 2017. Olsen is one of the best at teaching young qb's the art of mastering protection reads at the NFL level.

Watching Carr last season, well I know why Olsen was so high on Chucky's list.

LARAMSinFebruary
Starter

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Lol how the hell did those 2 tackles make it to the pro bowl?

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:52 am

If only Goff was the only QB that has ever fumbled, you may have a point.
You don't seem to give the O-Line any of the blame or the opposing D any credit for making a play.

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 am

Bildeaux wrote:
I remember some of these "Board handles" from STL PD "Ram Stalk". Could be coincidental, but anyone, like Safety Blitz, part of the old posters there? Just curious.
Lots of posters here from that shithole site with the same name they had there.. Most were not in tune with the echo chamber they had going on and came here after being banned for having a different opinion then the Bernie ragamuffins.

Clovis
Veteran

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 am

Rampager66 wrote:
Bildeaux wrote:
Lots of posters here from that shithole site with the same name they had there.. Most were not in tune with the echo chamber they had going on and came here after being banned for having a different opinion then the Bernie ragamuffins.
I was "Fresno was Vegas" on that site. Toward the end it was comical although I felt bad for the RAMS fans in STL. Those real RAMS fans in STL were so poorly represented by the lying liberals they hoped would save the STL RAMS. I think I quit that site when Bernie and Shane called for everyone to show up at a rally, and Bernie and Shane didn't even show up themselves.

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Clovis wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 am
Rampager66 wrote:
Bildeaux wrote:
I was "Fresno was Vegas" on that site. Toward the end it was comical although I felt bad for the RAMS fans in STL. Those real RAMS fans in STL were so poorly represented by the lying liberals they hoped would save the STL RAMS. I think I quit that site when Bernie and Shane called for everyone to show up at a rally, and Bernie and Shane didn't even show up themselves.
Absolutely right about some of the St. Louis "Rams" fans. They were hoodwinked by the meatheads who wanted separation from Rams nation.
There was even talk of changing the "Rams" to something else if the team stayed.
The real Rams fans there are still behind the team and despite a certain stereotype, still consider themselves part of the nation.