Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Clovis
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 am

Latest post of the previous page:

UK Rams Fan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 am
Personally I would like to thank Roger Saffold for the sterling job he's done for us over the years. Its a business, money talks, we couldn't afford to retain him. It is what it is..
We move on.
Exactly. This is likely the last NFL contract for RS. His loyalty must be to his family first. It's the unpleasant part of this business but I respect his decision.

49RH8R
Starter

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:05 am

Dick84 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 am
49RH8R wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 am
Claremontram wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 pm
Center in the 1st round. Bank on it.
if we do go OL in the first round i hope it's at OT. since OT is considered a premium position we'd get more value than an OC/OG with our first rounder. big whit will be gone next year and noteboom will be heading to LT so we will have no backup. i'd love to groom another OT in 2019 and also get him some reps at OG.

both blythe and allen can play OC and OG and we have demby and neary as backups along the interior.
If they really believe in Noteboom for LT, no reason to spend a first.
good point and that's why i personally see them going DL at #31. we already have 3 starters but you can rotate DL but not OL. i'd like an edge rusher too and don't really think we should spend our 1st on an ILB. in order of preference i hope they go:

DL
Edge/OLB
ILB
CB
S

i'd love to see them get a baller DL who can learn from AD and rotate with brock, JFM and whomever emerges from last years draft class like sebastian joseph.

Claremontram
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 am

49r:

I hear what you are saying, OT will be a need in 1 year. I just think we can get a top Center at the bottom of the 1st round that will anchor our O line for a decade, as opposed to some substitute guys that are just fair to good.

The middle of our Oline was a weak link in the SB.

Let's get a real slobber-knocker who is also adept at making line calls.

toast49
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am

Claremontram wrote:
49r:

I hear what you are saying, OT will be a need in 1 year. I just think we can get a top Center at the bottom of the 1st round that will anchor our O line for a decade, as opposed to some substitute guys that are just fair to good.

I agree. Bradbury would be a great pick, or Risner if he falls to the end of the first round.

49RH8R
Starter

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Claremontram wrote:
49r:

there's nothing wrong with taking a baller who can play OC and OG at the end of the first round. i do like allen at OC though and think that's why we got rid of sullivan. if we take an OL like risner at #31 somebody like allen will be on the bench. if we take a DL however, he will play immediately in a rotation.

the good news is it looks like kromer knows how to spot and develop OL. he's going to be even more effective managing that unit if he can draft a year in advance and let them sit. my guess is they do not take an OL in round 1 but will definitely take a few later. don't forget, blythe is a FA next year as well as whit.

do you have much faith in demby?

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Claremontram wrote:
49r:

I don't disagree that center needs to be better... I just don't know why "good", from a 4th round pick, wouldn't be good enough? I also see no reason Allen can't be very good. Why do *you* assume he'll only be "fair to good"?

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:33 pm

49RH8R wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:05 am
Dick84 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 am
49RH8R wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 am

if we do go OL in the first round i hope it's at OT. since OT is considered a premium position we'd get more value than an OC/OG with our first rounder. big whit will be gone next year and noteboom will be heading to LT so we will have no backup. i'd love to groom another OT in 2019 and also get him some reps at OG.

both blythe and allen can play OC and OG and we have demby and neary as backups along the interior.
If they really believe in Noteboom for LT, no reason to spend a first.
good point and that's why i personally see them going DL at #31. we already have 3 starters but you can rotate DL but not OL. i'd like an edge rusher too and don't really think we should spend our 1st on an ILB. in order of preference i hope they go:

DL
Edge/OLB
ILB
CB
S

i'd love to see them get a baller DL who can learn from AD and rotate with brock, JFM and whomever emerges from last years draft class like sebastian joseph.
My ideal scenario in this draft is them trading down and ending up with a 2nd rounder and 4 thirds. That would potentially include swaps of later picks along with the trade down.

You can reasonably expect third rounders to contribute significantly by the end of rookie year. With those five picks I would be going DL, edge, Ol, ILB and corner.
You could count on the DL to get some time in the rotation, same with the edge. ILB could fight way into starting.. safety could get pt and be groomed.. CB would be depth and get some pt. The OL could fight for a starting guard spot, imo.

3-24-16

Claremontram
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Dick et al.:

My "fair to good" appraisal comes from the fact that none of our back-up Olinemen could beat out Sullivan. Therefore, I suspect we would be going backward if we stayed with them at C.

However, maybe they are ready to bloom this season. Maybe Gurley does not have arthritis in his knee.

I think McVay goes heavy on Offense in the draft next month.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Claremontram wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:26 pm
Dick et al.:

My "fair to good" appraisal comes from the fact that none of our back-up Olinemen could beat out Sullivan. Therefore, I suspect we would be going backward if we stayed with them at C.

However, maybe they are ready to bloom this season. Maybe Gurley does not have arthritis in his knee.

I think McVay goes heavy on Offense in the draft next month.
But that appraisal is flawed.
Sullivan was a returning starter with a good track record competing against a true rookie.
Kelly will be moving into the season with a year in pro football, plus the entire offseason program as the starter.
There’s a huge difference between first and second years.

3-24-16

Rate this topic