First pick in the draft

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Cat-A-Ram
Starter

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm

We lost 2/5’s or our inline this month. Time replace ?? Our center.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... adbury.php

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:34 pm

1.) Thank you for the draft post. The draft is the lifeblood of an NFL organization and it appears the forum is now a place for political discussion? How long did we have to wait to get back to a playoff contender and now that we have it seems the forum has lost interest in the team, amazing. Amazingly sad.

2.) The oline may be the most important unit in the game today. The shortage of NFL caliber offensive lineman began years ago and it is only going to get worse moving forward but their is hope with the establishment of the AAF and the other developmental leagues.

3.) To make the playoffs in today's era a team either has a top ten oline or a Russell Wilson at qb. Can't win in this league with a pocket passer and a horrific oline (see Blake Bortles and Jax) not matter how dominant your defense may be.

When Bortles gets protection he has proven to be a winner and why I love Rams looking at him on Monday. Jax never had much at the skill positions around him and when protected he made that talent better, no matter how many unwarranted Blake Bortles jokes made league wide.

31 would be a perfect spot to add a Center and I like your choice of player. Hope he is still on board.

Also love Hockenson, best inline TE to come out of draft in a very long time. Hockenson won't be on board at 31 and you do not move up in a draft to select an inline TE. But if he would fall I would be very aggressive in moving up a few spots to get him

toast49
Veteran

McVay has indicated he wants an explosive offensive player with the first round pick. Seems receiver or running back is what he means. If you read between the lines it could mean the Rams are interested in a running back capable of creating explosive plays since the team is so deep at receiver.

Claremontram
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Wild:

I've been saying this for some time, a C at pick 31 makes a lot of sense. Not sure what we have in the stables will get us to the promise land. Need to draft some immediate help.

CierraRam
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Claremontram wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Wild:

I've been saying this for some time, a C at pick 31 makes a lot of sense. Not sure what we have in the stables will get us to the promise land. Need to draft some immediate help.
Back in the draft that the Cowboys took Frederickson I laughed at them because they seemed so disfunctional and no clear path offensively. Still like that in a lot of ways... Im not laughing anymore because they built what became the top OL in the league for two seasons and still top ten today. We as fans get diluted with flashy toys that are fast and such... Reality is offensively the six most important positions are the QB and the five OL'man. You have that, your team is in every game. C or G with the first pick would not hurt my feelings.

CierraRam
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 pm

toast49 wrote:
McVay has indicated he wants an explosive offensive player with the first round pick. Seems receiver or running back is what he means. If you read between the lines it could mean the Rams are interested in a running back capable of creating explosive plays since the team is so deep at receiver.
I have not heard this... But personally I thought that the one thing the Rams offense has lacked under McVay was the guy you mention. A Cohen/Kamara/Ty Hill type. They've been getting it done more like the Mike Martz way and the GSOT. And when they get shut down...they get shut down. The X factor guy is how you break down pass rush's and coverages the Martz way cant. But that guy as the first pick this year... cant see it. I think he can be had in the mid rounds from a smaller school. Like they found in Kupp. The guy that tears up the smaller school leagues and looks like he should have been playing for Clemson.

malibu
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 pm

As I am the biggest proponent of keeping the OL at a premium I feel we need an olb, ilb and DT more. I really like Bradbury Joe Thomas and Shawn O'Hara really likes him. Since we do not have a second round pick I worry we have bigger needs. BTW I am not sure about Allen but I must trust Komer/Snead/McVay on this one.

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Is another offensive skill player the top priority?

We all see the weakness at TE. But that is the only route I'd go. I can't see making their only pick in the first 2 rounds yet another WR or even a RB.

Frankly, I think the best outcome might be a team in love with a guy that slips. And they'd like a chance to grab him in the first round to get that 5th year option. This is what the Eagles did with the Ravens who wanted to grab QB Lamar Jackson.

Do that, grab a few more picks, and there will be RBs and WRs in rounds 2 & 3.

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 am

McVay has indicated he wants a talent who can make explosive plays and the reason behind this is simple, Todd Gurley's arthritic knee.

Think back to last season and how many games we won because Gurley took over the second half. Remove that from the equation and Rams may not even make playoffs last season??

The problem, unsure a player that explosive will be there at 31? But it is a deep draft at the skill positions so??

Go to Rams official site and you can read this. Could be smoke, also could be Gurley is much worse than we know

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:48 am

McVay did not specifically indicate he wanted to use the first pick of the draft on an offensive player. He indicated that taking care of needs like FS and Fowler *opened up* the possibility of using that first pick.

I've been talking about Isabella for a while now. I'm not sure if he's lasting into the 3rd, but if he's there, I'd take a shot. A slot guy that can punish a defense for mistakes.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

toast49
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:50 pm

I just get the feeling he wants to go offense in the first round to create even more competition in that skill group of players. I think he feels you have to keep evolving on offense and not stand pat.

harley01
Starter

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Wildflecken wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 am
McVay has indicated he wants a talent who can make explosive plays and the reason behind this is simple, Todd Gurley's arthritic knee.

Think back to last season and how many games we won because Gurley took over the second half. Remove that from the equation and Rams may not even make playoffs last season??

The problem, unsure a player that explosive will be there at 31? But it is a deep draft at the skill positions so??

Go to Rams official site and you can read this. Could be smoke, also could be Gurley is much worse than we know
Yeah, McVay knows the extent of Gurley's knee. If we draft RB first it means there is serious concern how Gurley will hold up. He and Snead danced around that question last week, but there is no way they are not up to date on if he has arthritis or not. Its not like he has another game to plan for in a week.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:55 am

toast49 wrote:
I love McVay; but if he starts ignoring the offensive line, ala Mike Martz, the Rams are in BIG trouble.

UK Rams Fan
Starter

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:59 am

My prediction.. A long long wait for our pick on day one, only for Snead and McVay to trade it back into the 2nd Rd... :lol:
Nothing to see here... Move along, move along. :P

toast49
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:04 am

I imagine the Rams will address depth on the O line at some point in the draft.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 am

UK Rams Fan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:59 am
My prediction.. A long long wait for our pick on day one, only for Snead and McVay to trade it back into the 2nd Rd... :lol:
Nothing to see here... Move along, move along. :P
I’d love to see them trade back a couple of times and end up with 4 picks in 3rd.

3-24-16

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am

Jack85Youngblood wrote:
toast49 wrote:
I love McVay; but if he starts ignoring the offensive line, ala Mike Martz, the Rams are in BIG trouble.
They invested their first 2 picks last year on Oline. I don’t think we need to worry about that.

3-24-16

Cornell29
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 am

Jack85Youngblood wrote:
toast49 wrote:
Wasnt the rams 1st two picks last year ol? Mcvay and Aaron knows what they arr doing. They are throwing out horrible OL like Martz did. Mcvay is finding good ol deep in the draft and in free agency. Similiar to the Patriots

toast49
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:06 am

Think they will use the first pick on an offensive weapon. They drafted O line last year.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:19 am

Dick84 wrote:
Jack85Youngblood wrote:
toast49 wrote:
They invested their first 2 picks last year on Oline. I don’t think we need to worry about that.
Yes they did invest two picks but at the same time we lost two starters... We still need to build at least one reliable backup from the draft that could be a plug and play, and be there for the future....

As of right now, our backup are Demby T/G, Neary C/G, and unknown PS players, `qMurphy OT and Williams Jr OT....

I trust Noteboom coming in and taking over at LG...

But I have to see if Allen at Center can hold up the bull rush up the middle against bigger DT...

At the same time, Blythe is the weakest link on the line... IMO

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:22 am

69RamFan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:19 am
Dick84 wrote:
Jack85Youngblood wrote:

Yes they did invest two picks but at the same time we lost two starters... We still need to build at least one reliable backup from the draft that could be a plug and play, and be there for the future....

As of right now, our backup are Demby T/G, Neary C/G, and unknown PS players, `qMurphy OT and Williams Jr OT....

I trust Noteboom coming in and taking over at LG...

But I have to see if Allen at Center can hold up the bull rush up the middle against bigger DT...

At the same time, Blythe is the weakest link on the line... IMO
Sure.
My point was that worrying whether the Rams will address the Oline is silly.

3-24-16

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am

Dick84 wrote:
Jack85Youngblood wrote:
toast49 wrote:
Good point. I just hope they work out.

MothaFaulker
Starter

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am

I think there’s zero chance they take a WR or RB in the 1st or top of the 2nd round...I don’t see it. I think McVay and Snead do tend to ramble on when giving interviews and use a lot of coach speak not necessarily to confuse anyone but that’s just how long winded they are personality wise. Sure we want ATHLETIC players Sean...Snead said at the combine that we want Football Players first and and then they’d like them to be athletic. Silly, nonesense coach-speak this time of year out of everyone...as if unathletic golf players were an option Les.
Don’t read too much into it. It’s probably true that they’d like to get more athletic. It could be with Noah Fant (though by PFF ratings Everett was a top 5 TE), OL with Bradbury, DL/CB with just about anyone in the top 50, OLB with Polite...and so on.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 am

Cornell29 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 am
Jack85Youngblood wrote:
toast49 wrote:
Wasnt the rams 1st two picks last year ol? Mcvay and Aaron knows what they arr doing. They are throwing out horrible OL like Martz did. Mcvay is finding good ol deep in the draft and in free agency. Similiar to the Patriots
I'm just a little worried about the line. Rams have enjoyed an injury free 2 seasons in a row from them; and it's been a huge part of their success. Now the line is in a state of flux. My big hope is that Noteboom eventually works out at LT; so the Rams won't need to use a 1st round pick on one in the near future. Also, I love that Whit is coming back; but he is in uncharted territory as far as age goes for a LT. We have no clue what the Rams have in Allen. I'm really hoping that they add some depth; which they probably will.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 am

just pick winners

les id getting good at picking guys who can make it in the nfl

"In McVay We Trust!"

Rate this topic