Post-2019 NFL Draft Los Angeles Rams depth chart review, 53-man roster projection

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
RamBill
Hall of Famer

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:42 am

Post-2019 NFL Draft Los Angeles Rams depth chart review, 53-man roster projection

An early look at how the roster might shape up.

By 3k@3k_ Apr 29, 2019, 8:00am CDT

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/4/29 ... epth-chart

Now that the 2019 NFL Draft is over, here’s how I thought the Los Angeles Rams’ 53-man roster might shake out on August 31 when the Rams, and every other NFL team, has to cut their offseason 90-man roster down.

QB (2)
In: Jared Goff, Blake Bortles
Out: Brandon Allen, John Wolford
While I thought the Rams could have been interested in a quarterback on Day 3 of the draft, they got through it without adding one.

That being the case, I think this just comes down to whether or not the Rams feel secure keeping just two QBs into Week 1. They didn’t last year for the initial 53-man roster in keeping Goff, Sean Mannion and Allen to start things off.

RB (4)
In: Todd Gurley, Darrell Henderson (rookie), Malcolm Brown, John Kelly
Out: Matt Colburn (UDFA)
I’ll tab Kelly in on special teams with Brown in as a RB3. They might not have much of a role left as running backs for the Rams, but their ST value is strong enough to stick.

WR (6)
In: Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, KhaDarel Hodge, JoJo Natson
Out: Mike Thomas, Austin Proehl, Alex Bachman (UDFA), Nsimba Webster (UDFA)
Really interesting group here. We know the top four are locked in. Could Hodge get leapfrogged either by a returning Mike Thomas or one of the rookie undrafted free agents? And is Natson locked in as the returner?

TE/FB (3)
In: Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Keenen Brown (UDFA)
Out: Johnny Mundt, Romello Brooker (UDFA), Kendall Blanton (UDFA)
The Rams are clearly keen on the UDFA options here. They added three such rookies to meet a three-man depth chart. So I’ll go with Brown winning out over the other options, but this is going to be a fun roster battle.

Reminder: Higbee is in a contract year and Everett’s deal ends after next year.

There shouldn’t be a wasted rep among anyone in this position group.

OL (9)
In: Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen, Austin Blythe, Bobby Evans (rookie), David Edwards (rookie), Darrell Williams, Jamil Demby
Out: Aaron Neary, Chandler Brewer (UDFA), Vitas Hrynkiewicz (UDFA), Brandon Hitner (UDFA)
What a fun battle this is going to be.

There’s just a TON yet to be decided. Whitworth holds court as king in his final season, and Havenstein obviously gets to play prince with his extension. Beyond that? Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Co-Offensive Coordinator Aaron Kromer is going to be busy sorting through this group in the offseason program and camp.

And don’t take this projection as reason to think the door will be closed for the UDFA rookies. I wouldn’t be surprised whatsoever if one of them break through onto the 53-man this year as a reserve OL option.

DL (5)
In: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Sebastian Joseph-Day, John Franklin-Myers, Greg Gaines (rookie)
Out: Tanzel Smart, Tyrell Thompson (UDFA)
This is lowkey a really exciting group. With Brockers in his contract year, there’s a ton of opportunity here. I could see a late FA coming in to affect this lineup, but I think the second-year duo and Gaines have as much upside as any young group on the roster.

LB (9)
In: Clay Matthews, Micah Kiser, Cory Littleton, Samson Ebukam, Dante Fowler, Jr., Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Morgan Fox, Dakota Allen (rookie), Natrez Patrick (UDFA)
Out: Justin Lawler, Trevon Young, Troy Reeder (UDFA)
Special teams always plays into the back end of this group. I’ll go with the Last Chance U storyline continuing for Allen, but this is another one that’s going to require the offseason program and training camp to sort through.

CB (6)
In: Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Nickell Robey-Coleman, David Long (rookie), Troy Hill, Dominique Hatfield
Out: Kevin Peterson, Darious Williams, Donte Deayon, Ramon Richards
A lot of emphasis here on the back of the depth chart. How much defensive support is asked for with such a strong top tier and Long coming in as a top rookie?

S (6)
In: John Johnson III, Eric Weddle, Taylor Rapp (rookie), Blake Countess, Marqui Christian, Nick Scott (rookie)
Out: Travin Howard, Steven Parker
A lot to sift through here as well. Countess and Christian are hardly green, but that might play in their favor both as defensive depth and for special teams work.

ST (3)
In: Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide
Out: N/A
Perhaps this is the year to give thanks for the reliability of HMZ.

Perhaps it was a year before now. (It was)

Rams News Now!
Get the Latest Rams News, Updated 24/7 Here:
Twitter : https://twitter.com/#!/RamsNewsNow
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RamsNews/

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:54 am

Here is my early 53 Man Roster prediction:

24 Offense
2 QB

Goff
Bottles

4 RB
Gurley
Brown
Henderson (Rookie)
Bubble: Kelly and Davis (Fight for 4th spot)

6 WR
Cooks
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Natson (PR)
Bubble: M. Thomas and Hodge (Fight for 6th spot),,,, Thomas was a Favorite for Bones on ST

3 TE
Higbee
Everett
Mundts

9 O-line
Whitworth
Noteboom
Allen
Demby
RHav
Blythe
Evans (Rookie)
Edwards (Rookie)
Bubble: Neary, (If they keep 9, he makes it)

26 Defense
5 DL

AD
Brockers
JFM
Gaines (Rookie)
SJD
Bubble: Smart

6 OLB/Edge Rushers
Fowler
Ebukam
Matthews (Can be move to ILB)
Lawler
OO
Bubble: Young and Fox (fighting for 6th spot)

4 ILB
Littleton
Kiser
Allen (Rookie)
4th spot (Open)
Bubble: Howard and UDFAs

6 CB
Talib
Peters
NRC
Long (Rookie)
Hill
D Williams

5 Safeties
Weddle
J. Johnson
Rapp (Rookie)
Christian
Bubble: Courtess and Scott (Rookie) (Fighting for 5th spot)

3 ST
Hekker
GZ
McQ
Last edited by 69RamFan on Wed May 01, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

malibu
Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am

I am concerned with ILB and OLB rest we should be fine unless the two new starters on the OL can't cut it.

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Wed May 01, 2019 8:44 am

Rams 53-man roster projection after 2019 NFL draft

By: Cameron DaSilva

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... an-2019/2/

Final 53-man rosters won’t be settled for another four months or so, but it’s never too early to have some fun predicting which players will and will not make the Los Angeles Rams this year. They added eight rookie draft picks and a handful of other undrafted free agents, of which at least one will probably make the team.

Here’s our early 53-man roster projection for 2019 following the draft.

Quarterback (2)
Jared Goff
Blake Bortles

It’d be surprising to see the Rams keep Brandon Allen or John Wolford with Goff and Bortles entrenched as the top two quarterbacks. There’s almost no reason to carry three quarterbacks unless the Rams feel strongly about Wolford or Allen becoming primary backups in 2020.

Running back (4)
Todd Gurley
Malcolm Brown
Darrell Henderson
John Kelly

Justin David has a steep uphill climb to making the Rams’ roster with Darrell Henderson now in the mix. It’s even possible Kelly will be cut before the season begins and is stashed on the practice squad. The top three are almost all locks to make the team.

Wide receiver (6)
Brandin Cooks
Robert Woods
Cooper Kupp
Josh Reynolds
JoJo Natson
KhaDarel Hodge

No real surprises or changes here. Natson and Hodge can contribute on special teams and the Rams didn’t add a wide receiver in the draft to compete for their spots.

Tight end (3)
Gerald Everett
Tyler Higbee
Romello Brooker

Tight end will feature some interesting battles this offseason. Will Everett be the starter? Will Higbee get traded or cut? Can one of the undrafted free agents beat out Johnny Mundt. Keenen Brown is definitely an intriguing player with good speed for his size, but Brooker might be more what the Rams are looking for.

Offensive line (8)
Andrew Whitworth
Rob Havenstein
Austin Blythe
Joseph Noteboom
Brian Allen
Bobby Evans
David Edwards
Jamil Demby

The competition will be heated on the offensive line this summer. The only surefire starters are Whitworth and Havenstein. Allen could get pushed by Blythe at center, Edwards and Allen can play either guard positions and Noteboom will likely be the swing tackle or starting left guard.

Defensive line (6)
Aaron Donald

Michael Brockers
Greg Gaines
John Franklin-Myers
Sebastian Joseph-Day
Tanzel Smart
Gaines hasn’t been handed the starting job at nose tackle, but the way Les Snead and Sean McVay talked about him, he’s going to get the first crack. Joseph-Day and Smart will have to perform well in the preseason and in camp to make the roster.

Outside linebacker (6)
Dante Fowler Jr.
Clay Matthews
Samson Ebukam
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Morgan Fox
Trevon Young

Fox can be slotted in at outside linebacker or defensive end, but the Rams were trying him at the former more than the latter last year. Depending on where the Rams play Matthews most, a player like Justin Lawler or Young could sneak onto the roster at outside linebacker.

Inside linebacker (3)
Cory Littleton
Micah Kiser
Dakota Allen

This position group needs some help, but Matthews will contribute inside, too. For now, it looks like Littleton and Kiser will be the starters, while Allen will work his way up on special teams. Don’t be the least bit surprised if the Rams sign a free-agent linebacker to bolster the unit.

Cornerback (6)
Marcus Peters
Aqib Talib
Nickell Robey-Coleman
David Long
Troy Hill
Kevin Peterson

Dominique Hatfield and Peterson will compete for the final spot at cornerback, but Hill hasn’t locked down a job yet, either. Blake Countess’ position flexibility between corner and safety is valuable and could push Hill off the roster.

Safety (6)
John Johnson
Eric Weddle
Taylor Rapp
Blake Countess
Nick Scott
Marqui Christian

The top three are set in stone, while the other three will be fighting for what might be two spots. For now, we’ll pencil in six safeties thanks to Countess’ versatility, Scott’s special teams value and Christian’s ability to play some linebacker, too.

Special teams (3)
Greg Zuerlein
Johnny Hekker
Jake McQuaide

None of these players will be cut or moved before the season begins. They’re as certain to make the team as any player anywhere in the NFL.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Fri May 03, 2019 6:42 am

Countess and Williams are already gone. Rams are wasting no time tweaking the back end of the roster; especially with cap concerns. Interesting to note that most roster predictions have almost all, if not all, of the Rams' draft picks making it. That would be unprecedented considering how late the Rams started drafting. By all accounts, the Rams had a great draft; but for all the picks to stick may be wishful thinking.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Updated: 6/12/19 after mini camp.

So Far set in stone: 21 Offense, 24 Defense, 3 ST

With 10 Bubble players: Four of those 10 bubble players are fighting for the last open RB/WR position to make it,,
23 Offensive players.....

The rest of the Eight bubble players will be fighting for the last three openings, in which the coaching staff evaluates who would make the team better will be added to the roster....

23 Offense
2 QB

Goff
Bottles

4 RB
Gurley
Brown
Henderson (Rookie)
4th spot open*

Bubble: Kelly and Davis (Fighting for 4th spot), Personally I like Davis, if he can stay injured free....

6 WR
Cooks
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Natson (PR)
6th spot open*

Bubble: M. Thomas and Hodge (Fighting for 6th spot),,,, Thomas was a Favorite for Bones on ST, but in his final year being under a four year vet, while Hodge has at least three years left, So he would be cheaper to keep for long term. Hodge showed he has hands and had some action last season at WR...,

3 TE
Higbee
Everett
Mundts *

8 O-line
Whitworth
Noteboom
Allen
Demby
RHav
Blythe
Evans (Rookie)*
Edwards (Rookie)*

Bubble: Neary, (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

24 Defense
6 DL

AD
SJD
Brockers
JFM
Gaines (Rookie)
Fox

Bubble: Smart (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

5 OLB/Edge Rushers
Fowler
Ebukam
Lawler *
OO *

Bubble: Young (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

4 ILB
Littleton
Kiser
Hager
Allen (Rookie)*

Bubble: Howard (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

5 CB
Talib
Peters
NRC
Long (Rookie)
Hill

Bubble: D Williams (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

4 Safeties
Weddle
J. Johnson
Rapp (Rookie)
Christian *

Bubble: Scott (Rookie)* (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings) (I feel he has the inside track for one of those spots on ST)

Bubble1*
bubble2*

(*) These players will be rotating the seven Inactive players at game time....

3 ST
Hekker
GZ
McQ
Last edited by 69RamFan on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 pm

69RamFan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:04 pm
Updated: 6/12/19 after mini camp.

So Far set in stone: 21 Offense, 24 Defense, 3 ST

With 10 Bubble players: Four of those 10 bubble players are fighting for the last open RB/WR position to make it,,
23 Offensive players.....

The rest of the Eight bubble players will be fighting for the last three openings, in which the coaching staff evaluates who would make the team better will be added to the roster....

23 Offense
2 QB

Goff
Bottles

4 RB
Gurley
Brown
Henderson (Rookie)
4th spot open

Bubble: Kelly and Davis (Fighting for 4th spot), Personally I like Davis, if he can stay injured free....

6 WR
Cooks
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Natson (PR)
6th spot open

Bubble: M. Thomas and Hodge (Fighting for 6th spot),,,, Thomas was a Favorite for Bones on ST, while Hodges showed he has hands and had action last season at WR...,

3 TE
Higbee
Everett
Mundts

8 O-line
Whitworth
Noteboom
Allen
Demby
RHav
Blythe
Evans (Rookie)
Edwards (Rookie)

Bubble: Neary, (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

24 Defense
6 DL

AD
SJD
Brockers
JFM
Gaines (Rookie)
Fox

Bubble: Smart (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

5 OLB/Edge Rushers
Fowler
Ebukam
Lawler
OO

Bubble: Young (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

4 ILB
Littleton
Kiser
Hager
Allen (Rookie)

Bubble: Howard (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

5 CB
Talib
Peters
NRC
Long (Rookie)
Hill

Bubble: D Williams (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings)

4 Safeties
Weddle
J. Johnson
Rapp (Rookie)
Christian

Bubble: Scott (Rookie) (fighting against other bubble spot for last 3 openings) (I feel he has the inside track for one of those spots on ST)

3 ST
Hekker
GZ
McQ
I can't help but think that 2 of the bubble spots could be filled by veteran linemen on both sides of the ball.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Dick84 wrote:

I can't help but think that 2 of the bubble spots could be filled by veteran linemen on both sides of the ball.
Yeah I can see that happening.....

I just feel it will be three position that every lower end player will be competing for....

And one of those three spot,,,, I feel is going to be taken by Nick Scott,,, from my understanding,,, he's pretty good on ST....

I was basing three spots,,, from what we have on the team for sure spots and the minimum needed for each position

So to carry another lineman,,, I can see that happening,,,, or I can also see a few of those bubble players being on the PS if they have enough eligible time to be on the PS..... meaning (Neary)

Plus listening to McVay and the RAMs coaching staff,,,, they have a lot of players that can play more than one position....

You have Demby training for all five position....
Blythe, C/G
Matthews can play OLB/ILB...
Fox can play DE/OLB
Brockers DE/NT

So it could help to get an extra player that can help the team by being flexible,, instead of you have to fill a need....

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm

69RamFan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 pm
Dick84 wrote:

Yeah I can see that happening.....

I just feel it will be three position that every lower end player will be competing for....

And one of those three spot,,,, I feel is going to be taken by Nick Scott,,, from my understanding,,, he's pretty good on ST....

I was basing three spots,,, from what we have on the team for sure spots and the minimum needed for each position

So to carry another lineman,,, I can see that happening,,,, or I can also see a few of those bubble players being on the PS if they have enough eligible time to be on the PS..... meaning (Neary)

Plus listening to McVay and the RAMs coaching staff,,,, they have a lot of players that can play more than one position....

You have Demby training for all five position....
Blythe, C/G
Matthews can play OLB/ILB...
Fox can play DE/OLB
Brockers DE/NT

So it could help to get an extra player that can help the team by being flexible,, instead of you have to fill a need....
I *fully* expect Scott to make the team. I'm sure he'll help on STs... and I think he could develop as a safety. Certainly has the physical traits.

3-24-16

Ants
Pro-bowler

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 am

You guys seem to be pretty high on Natson. It wouldn't surprise me to see him gone...UNLESS he's viewed as a special teams "must have".

It wouldn't surprise me to see one of the UDFA OL guys make the starting 9 - maybe Hitner. I can see Evans and/or Edwards going to the PS.

I think Scott makes the 53.

Wouldn't surprise me to see FOX and/or Okoronkwo gone.

The LA Rams - Making the NFL Great Again! 8-)

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 am

Ants wrote:
You guys seem to be pretty high on Natson. It wouldn't surprise me to see him gone...UNLESS he's viewed as a special teams "must have".

It wouldn't surprise me to see one of the UDFA OL guys make the starting 9 - maybe Hitner. I can see Evans and/or Edwards going to the PS.

I'm not high on Natson, but I give him a leg up and put him in the 5th spot because he has a skill set that most of our WRs don't have.... returning punts and a threat to take it to the house.....

Now if someone else can come into camp as a UDFA to compete for the PR/KR,,, I would welcome it... But as for now from what I've seen so far.... he is safe for now....

As far as your statement, you can see Evans and/or Edwards going to the PS.... so who is beating them out for that 7th and 8th spot on the team,,, UDFA? not a chance.... those two rookies will be learning and building there bodies at the NFL level from the bench and as backups on the 53man roster...….

If you forgot,,, they tried to sneak 6th round pick Demby into the PS last season, and Detroit picked him up off waivers right after the cuts before the season started. Luckily after a few games, Detroit put him on their PS then the RAMs got him back and kept him on the 53 man....

I don't see the RAMs making that mistake again, especially with a 3rd and 5th round picks O-linemen. As of this year, Demby is looking to be a starter or the 6th man up on the O-line....

Those UDFA O-linemen that we have, will be fighting for a PS position,,,, that's as far as it will go.... unless we carry nine OL...
or someone gets injured during camp.... IMO

As for OO and Fox,,, I expect them both to make the team....

OO has been learning all last year from the bench and building up his body....

As for Fox, he can play two position as OLB and DE, Apparently the RAMs coaching staff wanted him at OLB last year, and now want him back on the inside as a DE.... its because of the lack of depth at that DE position we have right now..... So as of today, I see him making the team..... IMO

Ants
Pro-bowler

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:04 am

69RamFan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 am
Ants wrote:

I'm not high on Natson, but I give him a leg up and put him in the 5th spot because he has a skill set that most of our WRs don't have.... returning punts and a threat to take it to the house.....

Now if someone else can come into camp as a UDFA to compete for the PR/KR,,, I would welcome it... But as for now from what I've seen so far.... he is safe for now....

As far as your statement, you can see Evans and/or Edwards going to the PS.... so who is beating them out for that 7th and 8th spot on the team,,, UDFA? not a chance.... those two rookies will be learning and building there bodies at the NFL level from the bench and as backups on the 53man roster...….

If you forgot,,, they tried to sneak 6th round pick Demby into the PS last season, and Detroit picked him up off waivers right after the cuts before the season started. Luckily after a few games, Detroit put him on their PS then the RAMs got him back and kept him on the 53 man....

I don't see the RAMs making that mistake again, especially with a 3rd and 5th round picks O-linemen. As of this year, Demby is looking to be a starter or the 6th man up on the O-line....

Those UDFA O-linemen that we have, will be fighting for a PS position,,,, that's as far as it will go.... unless we carry nine OL...
or someone gets injured during camp.... IMO

Yes, you could be right. I think Edwards has a higher ceiling than Evans. I don't have much hope for Evans in the NFL (compared to other playes). Good run blocker - we'll have to see if he can develop into a decent pass blocker. But what do I know?

The LA Rams - Making the NFL Great Again! 8-)

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am

I don’t love a roster spot for a guy like Natson, because he’s very, very one dimensional, imo...
but, as 69 pointed out, no one else on the roster right now has that skill.

3-24-16

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:34 am

Dick84 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am
I don’t love a roster spot for a guy like Natson, because he’s very, very one dimensional, imo...
but, as 69 pointed out, no one else on the roster right now has that skill.
Yes I feel the same way,,,,

If we could have a spot to where it was either a number 3 or 4th spot at WR that can take the duties as the PR, like when we had Az Hakim.... a dual position threat.... I would love to have those type of players.... But right now we don't have any....

Natson reminds me more the likes of Tony Horne, a WR down on the depth chart, but has the skill set for a KR and take it to the house...

Tavon Austin was suppose to be that person, but we all know how that turned out...

Yeah I would love to have Tyreek Hill,,, WR/RB/KR/PR.... without all of the off the field issue....

But thats where we fill our positions of needs to a level they can play several positions,,,,, so we can add some special limited players on the team....

Thats where I've seen the RAMs trying to do the pass several years... trying to find dual position players...

Hollywood Henderson will be one of those dual threat players in my mind,,, a RB/KR that also can lineup as a slot WR....

I'm looking forward for this year.....

Rate this topic