Red Zone play calling must improve

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 am

Sean McVay admitted numerous times that is play calling in the red Zone in 2018 was inefficient. I look for Sean to develop better points of attack in the red zone to help the Rams improve in 2019. I believe the development of the tight end position and the additional use of other running backs will help immensely. Some facts have skills that are Suited 2 RedZone short-yardage situations. More diversity down there is required. Smash Mouth and play-action off Smash Mouth might be a profitable approach. I think they need to develop a Red Zone Target who can win balls in the end zone.

"In McVay We Trust!"

RamPower
Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am

I would agree it appears to be some play calling snags beyond mere execution issues.

I'm sure McVay is on that as a priority. Rams strength hasn't been playing in a phone booth/condensed field, esp. with a less than 100% TG at times last year. Sammy Watkins was a pretty successful red zone target. I know Goff can make all the throws, and the Rams are surely looking into those physical red zone targets.

zackn
Starter

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 am
Sean McVay admitted numerous times that is play calling in the red Zone in 2018 was inefficient. I look for Sean to develop better points of attack in the red zone to help the Rams improve in 2019. I believe the development of the tight end position and the additional use of other running backs will help immensely. Some facts have skills that are Suited 2 RedZone short-yardage situations. More diversity down there is required. Smash Mouth and play-action off Smash Mouth might be a profitable approach. I think they need to develop a Red Zone Target who can win balls in the end zone.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but McV had redzone playcalling issues as the coordinator in Washington too. And in Washington he did have the TEs. So I personally don't think it's just personnel. I think a big part of it is play design/play selection/play calling.

Using this stat---NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only)--from here: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... coring-pct

...this is how McVay's offenses in Washington and LA ranked.

2018: 19th
2017: 17th
2016: 30th
2015: 11th

I don't know why 2015 was better. Either way in Washington in 2016 he had the TEs plus Garcon and yet didn't produce in the redzone. If he says he thinks he has to improve when it comes to that I believe him.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Does McVay rely on Gurley too much? I think so. Why teams don't go play-action passes on 3rd and short bewilders me in the red zone and anywhere on the field. I'd like to see Kelly get some pops near the goal line, Brown, too.

"In McVay We Trust!"

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 pm

We score 527 points in 2018, an avg of 32.93/game.

I'm not too concern about the Red Zone points during regular season when we avg that many point per game.....

The key will be differential points per game.... In other words, our defense holding the other team in points and turning the ball back over to our offense to give them more opportunities to score...

Turnovers are most important to my perspective.... (three and outs, fumbles recoveries, INTs)

Now when we play teams that have a great defense or playoff teams

Then we need every opportunity to score point any way we can, Red zone, defensive points... Special team points... offensive big play points...

But if we win the turnover battle, most likely we will win the game... IMO

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:56 am

Winning the turnover battle will be easier in 2019 because the defense has improved dramatically.

Under McVay we haven't lost a single game when we won the To battle.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 pm

I get that McVay is manning up and takin the heat for this and that's fine and all but, how much of it was execution. Sean is also standing up for his players. I doubt for a minute all the Rams or the Redskins woes were due to play calling. If someone blows a block, McVay gets a failed play so I wonder about the stats.
Plus there's the other team. And like em or not, they are trying to win too and will make some plays. It's used to be OK to acknowledge that but now it seems there always has to be an excuse or scapegoat.

zackn
Starter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Rampager66 wrote:
I get that McVay is manning up and takin the heat for this and that's fine and all but, how much of it was execution. Sean is also standing up for his players. I doubt for a minute all the Rams or the Redskins woes were due to play calling. If someone blows a block, McVay gets a failed play so I wonder about the stats.
Plus there's the other team. And like em or not, they are trying to win too and will make some plays. It's used to be OK to acknowledge that but now it seems there always has to be an excuse or scapegoat.
That's 3 years of subpar performance in the redzone, and none of it goes to the coordinator or head coach? (who in the case of the Rams designs and calls the plays).

Redzone performance goes partly to personnel (to an extent I think, though Washington had the personnel) and it goes partly to play calling and play design. McV said himself that he has to improve in the redzone, so he acknowledges the issue. I think that's a better explanation than 3 solid years of missed blocks. (And even if he did have 3 solid years of missed blocks in the redzone, that would fall on him as the coach too.)

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:21 pm

zackn wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:46 pm
Rampager66 wrote:
That's 3 years of subpar performance in the redzone, and none of it goes to the coordinator or head coach? (who in the case of the Rams designs and calls the plays).

Redzone performance goes partly to personnel (to an extent I think, though Washington had the personnel) and it goes partly to play calling and play design. McV said himself that he has to improve in the redzone, so he acknowledges the issue. I think that's a better explanation than 3 solid years of missed blocks. (And even if he did have 3 solid years of missed blocks in the redzone, that would fall on him as the coach too.)
Nowhere did I say "it was all because of missed blocks and only missed blocks for 3 years" as you insinuate here.
I said other things played into it besides "just play calling". Drops, fumbles, penalties, lack of execution ….little of that is on the coach.
I get that Sean is blaming himself and his calls are no doubt the biggest cause for his red zone woes, but it is seldom just 1 cause when you consistently struggle at something for that long. And he's not going to single any players out and keep their respect, nor is it good for confidence and growth either. So he takes "all" the heat as great leaders usually do.

They do score a lot for a team that "sucks in the red zone"..

zackn
Starter

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Rampager66 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Nowhere did I say "it was all because of missed blocks and only missed blocks for 3 years" as you insinuate here.
I said other things played into it besides "just play calling". Drops, fumbles, penalties, lack of execution ….little of that is on the coach.

They do score a lot and they falter in the redzone, something they said they would improve. It's an area where they need to improve (if only because you want to always get better as a team) and it's an area where they vowed they would improve.

I will change "missed blocks" to "3 years of execution errors, like drops fumbles penalties and missed blocks." But it makes no difference. If it WERE 3 years of that I still say it would go to the coordinator in question. Or coordinator/head coach in question. If it were 3 years of poor execution in the redzone that is a coaching issue.

But I don't believe it's 3 years of sloppy redzone play. I think it's play design and play calling and is just a relative blindspot McV has to overcome and said he would overcome (though some of it is personnel too, even though as I said he had the personnel in Washington.)

Anyway part of this is a value judgment issue and we just vote differently. Part of it isn't a value judgment--we disagree on whether this mostly goes to the coach or player execution. I suppose a ton of dedicated film study might answer that. Where it is a value judgment is in answering the question, how much do RZ issues matter for a high scoring team. If I read you right you don't think it matters that much. I agree that in a lot of ways it doesn't matter, but my vote is that this is a flaw they can and should fix, even though they are a high-scoring offense.

Rate this topic