20% Discount For Rams Fans

Rams MUST pressure Brees

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
malibu
Veteran

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm

I just watched the 10 minute cut up of the highlights of the Saints/Texan game and what I saw was on a ton of pass plays Houston rushed 3 figuring a ton of DBs will make it hard for Brees to find a soft spot in the zone. Truth is Drew is throwing to a spot and the wr gets to the spot the ball will be there. To me this the totally wrong approach for SUPER ACCURATE QBs like Brees, Rivers and Brady.

Brees has no mobility so the answer is to rush 5 or blitz 6 on key passing downs. Texans rushing 3 and 4 did not work. When they got Brees off the spot and forced him outside of the pocket he threw a pick.

Please Wade this is not the QB to have a bend but don't break game plan Brees is way too good. Must blitz the shit out of them just like the Pats did to us in the SB constantly rushing 5 exposed Sully/Blythe.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:47 am

+1
send Rapp. too.

"In McVay We Trust!"

toast49
Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 am

Brees more than any other QB knows where he is going with the ball before the snap. Having Weddle will help. Rams need to show Brees where to go then take it away after the snap which may allow time for the rush to get home

RAMFAN71
Starter

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:13 am

That will be their game plan. Attack Goff. So I do agree here that Brees is less dangerous on the run- maybe it's his height- who knows. But both teams have a dangerous release valve in Kamara and Gurley. Will see who executes this better. The ILB play will be crucial if Wade does keep sending them in......

"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

grackler
Starter

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:44 am

Absolutely agree with the OP.

1) Never only 3-man rush on obvious passing downs. The key to beating N.O. passing game is/has been to make Brees at least feel that he's under pressure. Rush at least 4 and preferably five on 3rd and long.

2) Double Thomas on obvious passing downs;

3) Kamara is always Brees' safety valve when he's pressured....hi-lo Kamara on 3rd and long.

Finally...watch the Dallas-N.O. tape from last year. Dallas played 1-3 above to perfection and destroyed N.O.'s offense.

RamPower
Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:19 am

Obviously pressure is always key on a QB, but even during the broadcast Monday it was the expressed opinion that QB's like Brees (and specifically Brees), love to see the blitz and exploit it. It's still important to disguise your pass rush and scheme/stunts etc.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:57 pm

They love blizes that fail to hit or hurry the QB.

"In McVay We Trust!"

malibu
Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:32 am

RamPower wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:19 am
Obviously pressure is always key on a QB, but even during the broadcast Monday it was the expressed opinion that QB's like Brees (and specifically Brees), love to see the blitz and exploit it. It's still important to disguise your pass rush and scheme/stunts etc.
I agree a super accurate QB with a mountain of experience is a tough sack, but just rushing five or rush 4 with a Blitzer coming from every angle will make it more difficult for Brees to win on the play. Just covering either Thomas or Kanama with an extra guy will not work.

Just watching how Texas dealt with Brees rushing 3 or 4 is NOT a winning prescription for success.

malibu
Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am

Just read Brees completed 81% of his passes when the Texans rushed 3 or fewer.

Also he made all 6 of their third downs when Texan rushed 3.

This just proves my point whether playing zone or man doesn't matter mostly what matters is getting to Brees and disrupting his timing like Fowler did on their last play in the championship game in OT. JJ intercepted the ball and we go onto win game.

harkin
Pro-bowler

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 am

If we play as we did vs Carolina we will lose. We gave them way too many chances in a game we should have won by three scores.

Pressure on Brees is important but so is making sure we wrap up on Kamara.

They were behind 14-3 Monday at the half and then scored 27 as they got in sync. No lead is safe. The Rams not only need a quick start, they have to finish strong.

And dumb penalties and ST mistakes almost cost us the game against the Cats, against NO they are more likely to be fatal.

I’m very glad we aren’t playing in that freaking bandbox.

Rate this topic