Watershed moment

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
Post Reply
User avatar
OCRam
Bench Warmer
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:06 am

Gurley's ailment may be a turning point for the Rams running game and hence their offensive game plan. It seems that McVay has been hesitant to move forward with Brown and/or Henderson given TGs availability. I would rather see TG sit out than be at less than full strength. I don't buy into the notion that TG at less than full capability is still better than the alternative. Assuming TG is out for the niner game, I am looking forward to seeing what Brown/Henderson/Kelly can do.

I appreciate what TG has done for the team in the past. Unless he is fully healthy, it is a drag on the teams offensive approach not unlike the Dodgers using Kershaw in the playoffs hoping to get a glimpse of his regular season performances. It is all about winning and what have you done for me lately which seems to work for a certain team on the east coast.

In this era, we are seeing young and unheralded players coming out of the woodworks proving that you don't need to keep them benched for a year or two until they have been seasoned. I don't think the Panthers are going to lose sleep if Newton does not return or the Jaguars if Foles doesn't recover quickly. I can cite numerous examples of unheralded running backs out of college making a name for themselves. Just look at the 2017 draft and not just the 1st rounders. You don't always know what you have sitting on the bench until you put them out there. Better to do it earlier in the season than during crunch time.



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:20 am

If he has an arthritic knee, which he likely does, you can play with that if you manage it.

This thigh bruise is unrelated to that.

So I think this whole "is Gurley done" stuff is way off base.

As I said RBs can play with arthritic knees--as long as it is managed. It has happened before in the NFL. In Gurley's case, they WERE managing it.

Just because he got a thigh bruise on top of it doesn't mean anything.

....



User avatar
OCRam
Bench Warmer
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:43 am

zackn wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:20 am
If he has an arthritic knee, which he likely does, you can play with that if you manage it.

This thigh bruise is unrelated to that.

So I think this whole "is Gurley done" stuff is way off base.

As I said RBs can play with arthritic knees--as long as it is managed. It has happened before in the NFL. In Gurley's case, they WERE managing it.

Just because he got a thigh bruise on top of it doesn't mean anything.

....
I'm not saying Gurley is done. I'm saying this gives us a chance to see if we have something better (or at least as good as a professional running back with arthritic knees). Without the thigh bruise, who knows when we will find out. The goal isn't managing his career longevity, the goal is winning.



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:22 pm

OCRam wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:43 am
zackn wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:20 am
If he has an arthritic knee, which he likely does, you can play with that if you manage it.

This thigh bruise is unrelated to that.

So I think this whole "is Gurley done" stuff is way off base.

As I said RBs can play with arthritic knees--as long as it is managed. It has happened before in the NFL. In Gurley's case, they WERE managing it.

Just because he got a thigh bruise on top of it doesn't mean anything.

....
I'm not saying Gurley is done. I'm saying this gives us a chance to see if we have something better (or at least as good as a professional running back with arthritic knees). Without the thigh bruise, who knows when we will find out. The goal isn't managing his career longevity, the goal is winning.

Managing TG's arthritic knee is not contrary to winning.

It means you have one more talented, productive back.

One who, btw, cannot be cut anyway since it would ruin the cap to do so.

When I said backs can run on an arthritic knee, I meant they can play at a high level. This has been proven before with other backs.

And managing it is not just a matter of carries per game. It's doing things, which he did do, like strengthening the muscles around the knee.

..,.



User avatar
OCRam
Bench Warmer
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:26 pm

....
[/quote]

I'm not saying Gurley is done. I'm saying this gives us a chance to see if we have something better (or at least as good as a professional running back with arthritic knees). Without the thigh bruise, who knows when we will find out. The goal isn't managing his career longevity, the goal is winning.
[/quote]


Managing TG's arthritic knee is not contrary to winning.

It means you have one more talented, productive back.

One who, btw, cannot be cut anyway since it would ruin the cap to do so.

When I said backs can run on an arthritic knee, I meant they can play at a high level. This has been proven before with other backs.

And managing it is not just a matter of carries per game. It's doing things, which he did do, like strengthening the muscles around the knee.

..,.
[/quote]
It doesn't seem that my point is coming across. I presume you have at least a slight interest in seeing what the other running backs can do without looking over their shoulder.



User avatar
SoCalRam78
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 am
Location: Southern California

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm

His knee issue is annoying and has been a distraction. Give the ball to your healthy backs.


Fan since 80s

User avatar
UtahRam
Veteran
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:50 pm

McVay wants to throw the ball and move downfield quickly. It's his decision to not run the ball. Period. It has nothing to do with injury or attitude or anything. This is all on McVay. People need to get over their love crush with this guy and see it for what it is.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:24 pm

UtahRam wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:50 pm
McVay wants to throw the ball and move downfield quickly. It's his decision to not run the ball. Period. It has nothing to do with injury or attitude or anything. This is all on McVay. People need to get over their love crush with this guy and see it for what it is.
Sure.
Except he’s run the ball plenty in his time with the Rams.
So.. um... not sure about your hot take.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7043
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm

I suspect for Gurley to sit this game out,
For the reason of making a move bringing up Kelly from the PS

And this could be a blessing in Disguise,
With Defensive teams playing a 6-1 defense on us,
Brown is more suited for this type of running game,
He is a down hill runner and if he breaks through the line hole, he will get some chunk yards

So that will open up the play action game for Goff and his WRs



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:14 pm

SoCalRam78 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm
His knee issue is annoying and has been a distraction. Give the ball to your healthy backs.
Well, but, again...backs can run on an arthritic knee. It has happened before with other backs. As long as the knee does not flare up (pain + inflammation) Gurley can be productive.

The thigh thing has nothing to do with the knee.



armyram
Veteran
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm

SoCalRam78 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm
His knee issue is annoying and has been a distraction. Give the ball to your healthy backs.
How they’re handling it is annoying as f**k... is it his knee or just McVay not running the ball. He doesn’t run Brown or Henderson and they are healthy! Now, I read where it’s up to Gurley on whether he wants to play or not against the Niners. Well, he’s chosen to sit out! I hope it’s because he is truly hurt and not thinking “I’m ok but why risk it for 8-10 carries “. Definitely an important game!



User avatar
SoCalRam78
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 am
Location: Southern California

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:00 pm

armyram wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm
SoCalRam78 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm
His knee issue is annoying and has been a distraction. Give the ball to your healthy backs.
How they’re handling it is annoying as f**k... is it his knee or just McVay not running the ball. He doesn’t run Brown or Henderson and they are healthy! Now, I read where it’s up to Gurley on whether he wants to play or not against the Niners. Well, he’s chosen to sit out! I hope it’s because he is truly hurt and not thinking “I’m ok but why risk it for 8-10 carries “. Definitely an important game!
They’re full of shit. First year and 11 games of his coaching career gurley was a work horse. Everyone knows he got hurt in that KC game and hasn’t been the same since. Just a bunch of bullshit. But as good as he is/was you’re running back is an interchangeable commodity. Didn’t cj Anderson run for 500 yards his first 3 games here? Why backs don’t get paid. Save your Chad and spend it on the trenches. Fact we have low level flot jam like SJD and Boom/Allen is a joke.


Fan since 80s

toast49
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:13 pm

The thing is McVay doesn't really sub his backs out on drives. One reason is the Rams like to go tempo at various times and stay with the personnel on the field. So trying to manage the carries Gurley gets does effect McVay's play calling in my opinion. McVay I think is alluding to this when he talks about trying to find this years identity for the offense.



armyram
Veteran
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 pm

toast49 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:13 pm
The thing is McVay doesn't really sub his backs out on drives. One reason is the Rams like to go tempo at various times and stay with the personnel on the field. So trying to manage the carries Gurley gets does effect McVay's play calling in my opinion. McVay I think is alluding to this when he talks about trying to find this years identity for the offense.
Not knocking McVay in any means but shouldn’t we have an identity by now. Damn, if our identity is pass happy then go for it and be damn great at it. How they deal with the disgruntled RBs is on them



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:52 pm

armyram wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm
SoCalRam78 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm
His knee issue is annoying and has been a distraction. Give the ball to your healthy backs.
How they’re handling it is annoying as f**k... is it his knee or just McVay not running the ball. He doesn’t run Brown or Henderson and they are healthy! Now, I read where it’s up to Gurley on whether he wants to play or not against the Niners. Well, he’s chosen to sit out! I hope it’s because he is truly hurt and not thinking “I’m ok but why risk it for 8-10 carries “. Definitely an important game!
'
'
He's injured. Deep thigh bruise. He didn't "choose" to sit out, he has no choice. This has nothing to do with the knee.

The fact that McV isn't running the ball has nothing to do with TG's knee. Basically this is McV learning how to call games when they are behind early. He drops the run. Last 2 games combined they've been behind for 6 straight quarters.
Last edited by zackn on Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
LARAMSinFebruary
Starter
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Problem's our OL people, not TG. No need to speculate about TG when we have actual problems staring us in the face.



toast49
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:30 pm

LARAMSinFebruary wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:21 pm
Problem's our OL people, not TG. No need to speculate about TG when we have actual problems staring us in the face.
So your saying they pass block better than run block? I disagree. Gurley is the issue.



armyram
Veteran
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:25 am

zackn wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:52 pm
armyram wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm
SoCalRam78 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm
His knee issue is annoying and has been a distraction. Give the ball to your healthy backs.
How they’re handling it is annoying as f**k... is it his knee or just McVay not running the ball. He doesn’t run Brown or Henderson and they are healthy! Now, I read where it’s up to Gurley on whether he wants to play or not against the Niners. Well, he’s chosen to sit out! I hope it’s because he is truly hurt and not thinking “I’m ok but why risk it for 8-10 carries “. Definitely an important game!
'
'
He's injured. Deep thigh bruise. He didn't "choose" to sit out, he has no choice. This has nothing to do with the knee.

The fact that McV isn't running the ball has nothing to do with TG's knee. Basically this is McV learning how to call games when they are behind early. He drops the run. Last 2 games combined they've been behind for 6 straight quarters.
Well, he better learn pretty quick because if we continue to fail to put the ball in the end zone in the first quarter it’s going to be a problem we gotta deal with. Several games we have been behind but close enough points wise and with time on the clock to involve Gurley and it hasn’t happened. I strongly believe the knee or Gurley isn’t the issue. It’s definitely the play calling! Pass happy is our identity!



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:17 am

69RamFan wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm
I suspect for Gurley to sit this game out,
For the reason of making a move bringing up Kelly from the PS

And this could be a blessing in Disguise,
With Defensive teams playing a 6-1 defense on us,
Brown is more suited for this type of running game,
He is a down hill runner and if he breaks through the line hole, he will get some chunk yards

So that will open up the play action game for Goff and his WRs
He’s more of a “hunt & peck” runner than anyone they have.
A different look may be what they need.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Ants
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3146
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 am

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:35 am

I think McVay has full confidence in Brown. Sure, he realizes that he's not the same as a healthy Gurley...but who is?


The LA Rams - Making the NFL Great Again! 8-)

Post Reply
Rate this topic