Goff...

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
UplandRam
Site Admin

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:56 pm

Goff had a great day and the one thing that really stood out was the designed roll-outs. Seems McVay did change things up a bit.
I have been a huge supporter and frankly my support had begun to wane a little. Also, very nice to see Woods and Higbee have great days. Perhaps, it's a little too late for this season, but Goff IS a elite QB. If we really all knew just how tough it is to play QB at this level, some of his detractors might have a different opinion. Dude is tough as hell too.
CMP%: 74.4 YDS: 424 TD: 2 INT: 0 Rating: 120.7
Not bad day for 3 1/2 qtrs.

RGtheFirst
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:44 am

Goff in shotgun = success...

Tenacious T
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 am

Glad to see him play well today. Needed a bounce back game bigtime.

Go Rams!

armyram
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:43 am

UplandRam wrote:
Goff had a great day and the one thing that really stood out was the designed roll-outs. Seems McVay did change things up a bit.
I have been a huge supporter and frankly my support had begun to wane a little. Also, very nice to see Woods and Higbee have great days. Perhaps, it's a little too late for this season, but Goff IS a elite QB. If we really all knew just how tough it is to play QB at this level, some of his detractors might have a different opinion. Dude is tough as hell too.
He’s is NOT an elite QB. Yes, it’s an elite position amongst all NFL positions and I’m sure most understand the difficulty. Even the worse QB in the NFL is a great to elite QB in their past days somewhere. I’m not saying he sucks by any means but if you had to pick from all the QBs to lead a team, he wouldn’t fall in the top 5, probably land in 8-10 area but that’s all opinion. Elite QBs show up big in big spots, and he has rarely done this. That’s why he was drafted first overall and paid a lot. The thing I notice is that when he has a great game, it’s Goff, Goff, Goff BUT when he has a bad game, it’s all on the OL. Can he be elite, sure if everything surrounding him is perfect. Good luck with that.

zackn
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 am

armyram wrote:
Elite QBs show up big in big spots, and he has rarely done this.
Not saying he's elite or not yet anyway, but yes he has shown up. He has 4 4th quarter comebacks in 2018, including both the Kansas City game and the championship game. In those games the win margin averages out to 3 points. And the Cleveland game this year. If not for a Zuerlein miss, it would have been 2 this year.

And sometimes elite qbs don;t show up in big spots. Rodgers is notorious for NOT being clutch in close games. Brees screwed up in the championship game last year.

Idaho_Ram
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 am

Goff is just...Goff. I don't know how else to say it. He can look elite at times and can look like a train wreck at other times. I do think he is good enough to lead us to a title. He is certainly mentally and physically tough enough to do so. But I have come to accept that he will never be viewed as a top 5 QB because he is simply too inconsistent. And his bad is really bad.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:23 am

armyram wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
He’s is NOT an elite QB. Yes, it’s an elite position amongst all NFL positions and I’m sure most understand the difficulty. Even the worse QB in the NFL is a great to elite QB in their past days somewhere. I’m not saying he sucks by any means but if you had to pick from all the QBs to lead a team, he wouldn’t fall in the top 5, probably land in 8-10 area but that’s all opinion. Elite QBs show up big in big spots, and he has rarely done this. That’s why he was drafted first overall and paid a lot. The thing I notice is that when he has a great game, it’s Goff, Goff, Goff BUT when he has a bad game, it’s all on the OL. Can he be elite, sure if everything surrounding him is perfect. Good luck with that.
He is not elite. I agree and been saying so since the day he got drafted. He is where you have him which is 8-10 which is damn good. But to say he has not showed up big well what in 3 games? Atlanta playoffs, New Orleans playoffs, and Super Bowl? It’s not like he has been in a hell of a lot of “big games” and in those 3 he is 1 for 3 for certain in coming up big. A case, made strongly, that such is as good as many other QB’s that have played in 3 career “big games”. And I’m certain we can come up with a few regular season games the last two years also that he came up “big” considering they were 11-5 and 13-3.

Also he doesn’t need a “perfect” OL. It wasn’t yesterday and it wasn’t against Chicago. What he does need, like most who play the position, is an OL that isn’t a clear “damn break” as soon as the ball is snapped. An OL that can actually run block, like they have recently, so to keep a defense honest.

toast49
Pro-bowler

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 am

thought the light went on somewhat in the last game. Ball was coming out quick and he was taking what the defense was giving. I think our offense gets hot these last 4 games.

RAMFAN71
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:34 am

I really hope the Goff haters will stop after seeing this game. It's 1 game, sure. But he is great when he has the time and the right plays called. Was solid on rollouts. Not many QBs would rack up that yardage playing same conditions/same team. Who do you want? L.Jackson? sure. There are better QBs, but this guy is for real. Have any Goff haters ever watched other teams play? The QBs are not making every throw. Not even close. Stop blaming this guy for all the issues. It's the team. we need balance and blocking. We have the weapons.

"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 am

Goff is excellent when things are working properly around him.
Not “perfect”... just “good”.
When things around him are shitty, he’s shitty.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

RAMFAN71
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 am

Did anyone see the block out there for Woods? That's pretty good stuff. I want a guy who shreds the D when he has the time/plays/playmakers. Too much to ask for a guy who single handedly takes the game himself when things around him are bad. The only neg I have on Goff is his TO display when things are pressured. He has to mature better there. Don't be Baker Mayfield.

UplandRam
Site Admin

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 am

Dick84 wrote:
I think you could say that about most NFL QB’s, even the really good ones. Watched Phillip Rivers lately?

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:08 am

armyram wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
Hmmm,, Not Elite..
lets see,, the teams he has beaten with elite to Good QB's that he has played against since 2017 season and playoffs...

IN Bold, Soon to be future HOF:

Prescott, Wilson, C. Palmer, E. Manning, Brees, D. Carr, Rivers, Rodgers,
Mahomes, Stafford, Ryan, Cousins, Newton,

I see it more like, McVay's play calling and schemes in personnel Grouping for the RAMs not having a good year.....

The game against the Cards,,,, McVay finally used more underneath pass plays, crossing routes, and improved blocking scheme with our OL....

He did use a lot of 11 personnel grouping,,, but he was down with only two TE's, with Everett being injured...

It was a good step in the right direction on both sides of the ball....

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:16 am

UplandRam wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 am
Dick84 wrote:
I think you could say that about most NFL QB’s, even the really good ones. Watched Phillip Rivers lately?
That wasn’t a criticism of Goff.

3-24-16

armyram
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 am
Goff is just...Goff. I don't know how else to say it. He can look elite at times and can look like a train wreck at other times. I do think he is good enough to lead us to a title. He is certainly mentally and physically tough enough to do so. But I have come to accept that he will never be viewed as a top 5 QB because he is simply too inconsistent. And his bad is really bad.
Perfectly stated!

zackn
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Yeah that's my take.

The people who say he is too inconsistent, this is the reason. Rams OL got a bit exposed last year against top Ds. Then it started this year out of sync, with the 2 OTs regressing. Almost every time the OL, in either incarnation, went up against a top D, it suffered and Goff suffered along with it. That's not Goff being inconsistent in and by himself (not that he has reached the level of sublime perfection... 8-) ...that's him playing in bad circumstances. Which means he is just not that different from the vast majority of good qbs in the league.

armyram
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:23 pm

69RamFan wrote:
armyram wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
Hmmm,, Not Elite..
lets see,, the teams he has beaten with elite to Good QB's that he has played against since 2017 season and playoffs...

I see it more like, McVay's play calling and schemes in personnel Grouping for the RAMs not having a good year.....

The game against the Cards,,,, McVay finally used more underneath pass plays, crossing routes, and improved blocking scheme with our OL....

He did use a lot of 11 personnel grouping,,, but he was down with only two TE's, with Everett being injured...

Definitely a good step and with some luck, just maybe slip into a playoff spot and keep it moving forward. I don’t think so but never know! But... this is exactly what I’m talking about. You’re blaming McVay when Goff doesn’t have a good game but then you want to list a bunch of QB’s that “Goff has beaten”, you mean McVay has beaten! Half those QBs you mentioned we could easily debate whether it was the running game that won the games and weak defenses since you’re going back to last year. I am not saying he sucks but I will never call him elite. Ever since the Detroit game, they figured out how to stop Goff. When he starts beating solid defenses, also win in bad weather, and on prime time, he may become elite. Great time to start is next week!

RAMFAN71
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm

As the Steelers coach said yesterday...."he ain't killin us..." Quite the opposite with Goff. He does need to take out the TO shit. Just throw the ball away. And I would love to see him be a little more mobile. Step up and run for 8-10 yards. He can move- he chooses not to for some reason. It would help in situations where they come at him all game.

zackn
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:34 pm

Ever since the Detroit game, they figured out how to stop Goff. When he starts beating solid defenses, also win in bad weather, and on prime time, he may become elite.
Starting with the Detroit game, Rams have beaten:

Detroit 2018 (10th ranked defense)
Dallas 2018 (7th ranked defense)
Chicago 2019 (8th ranked defense)
New Orleans 2019 (11th ranked defense)

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:01 pm

zackn wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 am
armyram wrote:
Elite QBs show up big in big spots, and he has rarely done this.
Not saying he's elite or not yet anyway, but yes he has shown up. He has 4 4th quarter comebacks in 2018, including both the Kansas City game and the championship game. In those games the win margin averages out to 3 points. And the Cleveland game this year. If not for a Zuerlein miss, it would have been 2 this year.

And sometimes elite qbs don;t show up in big spots. Rodgers is notorious for NOT being clutch in close games. Brees screwed up in the championship game last year.
You meant the seahawks game right ? because the browns game he did the other way around , he threw a stupid pick just to give the browns a chance of tying the game at the end .

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:04 pm

zackn wrote:
Ever since the Detroit game, they figured out how to stop Goff. When he starts beating solid defenses, also win in bad weather, and on prime time, he may become elite.

We beat dallas because we rushed for 280 yards on the ground . Not because of GOFF .
we beat chicago scoring 13 points ( our offense couldn't do shit ) we were just lucky that their offense is /was even worse but it is not like goff moved the ball well trought the air against chicago .
We beat NO because brees got out of the game and they had no real game plan installed for bridgewater YET .

I will give you the detroit win though .....
Last edited by brasilrams on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:13 pm

brasilrams wrote:
zackn wrote:

We beat dallas because we rushed for 280 yards on the ground . Not because of GOFF .
we beat chicago scoring 13 points ( our offense couldn't do shit ) we were just lucky that their offense is /was even worse but it is not like goff moved the ball well trought the air against chicago .
We beat NO because brees got out of the game and they had no real game play installed for bridgewater YET .

What a bunch of crap.

3-24-16

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:13 pm
brasilrams wrote:
zackn wrote:

We beat NO because brees got out of the game and they had no real game play installed for bridgewater YET .

What a bunch of crap.
That is just your crap opinion.

Cornell29
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 pm

brasilrams wrote:
zackn wrote:

Lol

Goff made critical plays in both those games late in the game. I guess we watch two different games.
Goff, like Kirk Cousins can be fixed, once the team play around them and scheme improves.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:19 pm

armyram wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:23 pm
69RamFan wrote:
armyram wrote:

Hmmm,, Not Elite..

Definitely a good step and with some luck, just maybe slip into a playoff spot and keep it moving forward. I don’t think so but never know! But... this is exactly what I’m talking about. You’re blaming McVay when Goff doesn’t have a good game but then you want to list a bunch of QB’s that “Goff has beaten”, you mean McVay has beaten! Half those QBs you mentioned we could easily debate whether it was the running game that won the games and weak defenses since you’re going back to last year. I am not saying he sucks but I will never call him elite. Ever since the Detroit game, they figured out how to stop Goff. When he starts beating solid defenses, also win in bad weather, and on prime time, he may become elite. Great time to start is next week!
He beat Mahome in a prime time game,,, he beat Brees in a prime time game,,,

The reason why I blame McVay,,, its his system,,, when you have a weakness with our OL,,,, Goff can only do so much...

Plus top teams defense have figured out how to play against McVay's 11 personnel grouping...

McVay never adjusted.... Especially with our OL...

The first time I seen a totally adjustment was against the Bears,,,
We used more of the 12 and 13 personnel grouping (two and three TEs) with the OL power blocking.

If you looked at most of the past games under 11 personnel... during passing attack, they were looking for the deep ball first... that's on McVay, not Goff... Goff was just following the game plan...

Now McVay's game plan against the Cards was a very good plan....
He had a lot of crossing routes, underneath stuff... rolling out and running between the tackles with power blocking...

When giving Goff the time,,, he throws an excellent ball...

When McVay has a good game plan, Goff will play well...

This is Goff and McVay's third year together....

There is no doubt in my mind, they will win us a SB.....

We came close last season, but we played against a more well seasoned HC and QB...

Personally I feel if Kupp never injured his knee and played in the SB, we would of won that game...

We can't forget, McVay is learning at the same time about the league....

If we would of won those games against the Steelers and Hags... we would be talking a different story.... just one game back from the 9ers...

I like our chances with the team we have, even going into next year....

Rate this topic