Corbett and Evans

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
bigklein
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:21 pm

I’ve really enjoyed how these two guys hustle and often get down the field to pick up Gurley at the end of a play. They’ve added new life to the line. Edwards is awesome at times; some of those calls against him were bogus yesterday. These three guys could become something, but I was just curious if anyone else has noticed the increased energy and better vibe with Corbett and Evans.

war room warrior
Starter

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:44 pm

bigklein wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:21 pm
I’ve really enjoyed how these two guys hustle and often get down the field to pick up Gurley at the end of a play. They’ve added new life to the line. Edwards is awesome at times; some of those calls against him were bogus yesterday. These three guys could become something, but I was just curious if anyone else has noticed the increased energy and better vibe with Corbett and Evans.

Yea seems like the OL came together when the 2 of them became starters cause of injuries....
Edwards looks hood too, but; what Mcvay’s gonna do when Havenstein comes back? I think he needs to stay as is... The probably is they PAID Havenstein, it all comes down to hopes getting the BIG BUCKS !!!

armyram
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Well, though the OL is sucking, each game is more experience for the young guys, so next year has to be better and by season end, just maybe we have more of our core in place

zackn
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 pm

armyram wrote:
Well, though the OL is sucking, each game is more experience for the young guys, so next year has to be better and by season end, just maybe we have more of our core in place

You;re not supposed to be able to play if you replace 3 OL starters. And that's after losing a 2018 starter to free agency and cutting another. I mean, they lost 5 guys. Now 4 positions are manned by replacements (including Blythe slidiing to center). Teams usually don't have depth like that.

But as it happens the Rams were in the process of building the 2020 OL. They had 5 OL draft picks in 2 years and traded for another. Very rarely is a team in a position like that! Dumb luck. Yeah they lost 3 starters but hey look, they had a stockpile of young reserves. Guy 1: so I guess our gold mine investment didn't pan out. Guy 2: no, but while digging to try and find something, we just struck oil.

Now granted they have yet to play SF or Dallas or Seattle, and Baltimore did beat them up. 'So we don't know how far this can go this year.

BUT they get a huge head start on the 2020 OL this way, and that's even if they struggle against top competition the rest of this year.

RamPower
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:03 pm

zackn wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 pm
armyram wrote:

You;re not supposed to be able to play if you replace 3 OL starters. And that's after losing a 2018 starter to free agency and cutting another. I mean, they lost 5 guys. Now 4 positions are manned by replacements (including Blythe slidiing to center). Teams usually don't have depth like that.

But as it happens the Rams were in the process of building the 2020 OL. They had 5 OL draft picks in 2 years and traded for another. Very rarely is a team in a position like that! Dumb luck. Yeah they lost 3 starters but hey look, they had a stockpile of young reserves. Guy 1: so I guess our gold mine investment didn't pan out. Guy 2: no, but while digging to try and find something, we just struck oil.

Now granted they have yet to play SF or Dallas or Seattle, and Baltimore did beat them up. 'So we don't know how far this can go this year.

BUT they get a huge head start on the 2020 OL this way, and that's even if they struggle against top competition the rest of this year.
Uhh, teams first of the year starters usually don't have 30 or 31 other teams with better O-line units either.

So you're saying the Rams O-line would have looked better (today) had there been no injuries? Sure not what I'm seeing. I don't care when or how someone gets onto the field, better is always better. Losing shit players (the way they were playing) has nothing to do with losing legit starters. Next man up isn't always a bad thing, regardless of "how it should be" IMO. I was looking forward to see replacements for the League's worst offensive line...it's been encouraging.

zackn
Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:08 pm

So you're saying the Rams O-line would have looked better (today) had there been no injuries? Sure not what I'm seeing.
Actually no, I;m saying the opposite.

UplandRam
Site Admin

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Keep in mind, these guys are still very young. They will get stronger over the next few years. I think the Oline will be pretty good next with the players we have in place now. Allen will return as a backup, Whitworth will probably retire, Noteboom will be back, Corbett looks good so far. Could see us adding a mid range FA or two in the off season.
To me, Edwards looks like more of a natural tackle than guard. Bobby Evans is going to take his lumps but I really like what I see so far.

RAMFAN71
Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 am

We need to keep restocking with quality young OL. I would not get too excited yet, as they have to go up against top teams from here out. Hope they shine, and I like what I see. I think Allen lost his job for good. Demby can go. Hav will be better- it's impossible to be worse and he will add to this group. Note will be in mix as next man up or starter. I would love to draft a stud C with pick 1 in 2020. Or perhaps work with Corbett at C in the off season to fill that role. I gotta think there will be someone at our 2020 2nd round pick who will be top talent. Looking brighter. Just suks we need help making the playoffs now....

"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

toast49
Pro-bowler

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:37 am

LIne has looked good. I like Blythe at Center as well. His natural position it would seem. There's some nice young talent there. Wonder why Corbett didn't work out with the Browns?

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:40 am

Right now I see this OL as about average; which is wayyyyy better than it was a few weeks ago. Against below average defenses, like Arizona; we get to see the Rams of the last couple of years. Against above average defenses; we get to see the St Louis Rams of the last decade. With a top 10 OL this team is a Super Bowl contender. With an average OL it's an average team, stuck in the purgatory of 6 to 9 win seasons. I'm not sure this current crop of OL can get to top 10 in the league. In fact, I have my doubts; especially when Whit leaves.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Rewatched game tonight. Evans played damn well against AZ. A physical mauler run blocking and way better then what he showed during preseason in regards to pass blocking. Didn’t rewatch Baltimore game but did against Chicago and he has played very well in those two games. Rams May have something with him.

Edwards and Corbett also played well against AZ in regards to their run blocking. Both got a bit pushed back when pass blocking but that being said they are both playing a lot better than Noteboom and Blythe played at guard. Blythe for whatever reason is a hell of a lot better at center than guard. Still early but it hard not to like what these 3 young players are showing right now.

Two other items of note were Gaines made a few plays when the game had not yet become a blowout. Nice to see. And Rapp is all over the field making plays. Some may question if we needed his position when we drafted him but that being said they drafted a damn good football player in him.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 pm

One more thing on Evans. On the screen to Gurley in the first quarter Evans de cleated one of the Cards D-Lineman. Hard to teach the brute strength and size this kid has.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:06 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Rewatched game tonight. Evans played damn well against AZ. A physical mauler run blocking and way better then what he showed during preseason in regards to pass blocking. Didn’t rewatch Baltimore game but did against Chicago and he has played very well in those two games. Rams May have something with him.

Edwards and Corbett also played well against AZ in regards to their run blocking. Both got a bit pushed back when pass blocking but that being said they are both playing a lot better than Noteboom and Blythe played at guard. Blythe for whatever reason is a hell of a lot better at center than guard. Still early but it hard not to like what these 3 young players are showing right now.

Two other items of note were Gaines made a few plays when the game had not yet become a blowout. Nice to see. And Rapp is all over the field making plays. Some may question if we needed his position when we drafted him but that being said they drafted a damn good football player in him.
Great stuff. That’s fantastic to hear.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Cornell29
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:34 am

NorCal RF wrote:

The rams definitely needed Rapp. He is a help this year and will be ready yo replace Weddle, next year.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:05 am

Cornell29 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:34 am
NorCal RF wrote:

The rams definitely needed Rapp. He is a help this year and will be ready yo replace Weddle, next year.
They got a hell of a player. I don’t follow how those last year drafted OL are doing that some in here were mentioning a few weeks ago but I suspect none of them are doing what Rapp is doing right now. The kid reminds me of Nolan Cromwell a bit.

bigklein
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am

Looking forward to seeing Johnson and Rapp together next year. I’m also optimistic about Noteboom meshing well with Corbett, Evans, and Edwards. (Might the line look the same as it does now but with Noteboom playing left tackle? How does Havenstein fit in? Does he? Corbett at center and Havenstein at guard?)

Cornell29
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:19 am

bigklein wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am
Looking forward to seeing Johnson and Rapp together next year. I’m also optimistic about Noteboom meshing well with Corbett, Evans, and Edwards. (Might the line look the same as it does now but with Noteboom playing left tackle? How does Havenstein fit in? Does he? Corbett at center and Havenstein at guard?)
Imo Noteboom is a starting quality player, but at LT. I have no idea where Hav fit anymore? Maybe guard? I wonder if the rams move on, since they are tight against the cap.

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:33 am

UplandRam wrote:
Keep in mind, these guys are still very young. They will get stronger over the next few years. I think the Oline will be pretty good next with the players we have in place now. Allen will return as a backup, Whitworth will probably retire, Noteboom will be back, Corbett looks good so far. Could see us adding a mid range FA or two in the off season.
To me, Edwards looks like more of a natural tackle than guard. Bobby Evans is going to take his lumps but I really like what I see so far.
Our front office has whiffed big time with this position. Yes they have made a lot of picks in draft on OL but they have missed most of the time. Good teams, Steelers to name 1, do a very good job selecting O linemen whether in the draft or FA. Rams for whatever reason have not. Hopefully they can make some off season moves that help rebuild this unit.

zackn
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 am

ocram23 wrote:

Our front office has whiffed big time with this position.
On the contrary.

All the signs are that Kromer, like he has many times before in his career, has scored on several OL draft picks.
Last edited by zackn on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 am

Kromer isn't drafting players he coaches them when they get there. Go look at the past drafts with the Rams and the OL. It isn't good.

zackn
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:44 am

ocram23 wrote:
Kromer isn't drafting players he coaches them when they get there. Go look at the past drafts with the Rams and the OL. It isn't good.
We know how involved he is, there's a record of it.

All OL coaches get deeply involved in drafts. Hanifan did, Boudreau did. Kromer has not just with the Rams but with 3 different teams before the Rams.

For one thing, no GM or head coach in his right mind picks OL without the OL coach being deeply involved. Only the OL coach can say what he wants in a player.

For another thing, on top of that, the Rams do not have an uber-GM who makes unilateral decisions. The Rams draft process is very collaborative. And that's according to everyone involved in it, and they have all spoken up about the process all along.

Snead and Kromer collaborate on ranking OL players. The D coaches from Wade on down collaborate on ranking D players. McV collaborates on skill players and has general input.

So yeah every OL coach with any standing at all anywhere has heavy input on OL draft picks and that has always been particularly true of Kromer.

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 am

zackn wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

All OL coaches get deeply involved in drafts. Hanifan did, Boudreau did. Kromer has not just with the Rams but with 3 different teams before the Rams.

For one thing, no GM or head coach in his right mind picks OL without the OL coach being deeply involved. Only the OL coach can say what he wants in a player.

For another thing, on top of that, the Rams do not have an uber-GM who makes unilateral decisions. The Rams draft process is very collaborative. And that's according to everyone involved in it, and they have all spoken up about the process all along.

Snead and Kromer collaborate on ranking OL players. The D coaches from Wade on down collaborate on ranking D players. McV collaborates on skill players and has general input.

So yeah every OL coach with any standing at all anywhere has heavy input on OL draft picks and that has always been particularly true of Kromer.

Yes there is a process but all teams rely heavily on their scouts and the recommendations go up the chain of command. McVay I am sure is heavily involved as well but at the end of the day it is Snead. He is the one who makes the final decisions on personnel. Kromer puts in a recommendation but let's not forget the scouting dept is what makes or breaks a draft. Then having the powers at be drafting the right players. Jury is still out on the OL that have been drafted since 2017. Let's see what happens.

zackn
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:04 am

ocram23 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 am
zackn wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Yes there is a process but all teams rely heavily on their scouts and the recommendations go up the chain of command. McVay I am sure is heavily involved as well but at the end of the day it is Snead. He is the one who makes the final decisions on personnel. Kromer puts in a recommendation but let's not forget the scouting dept is what makes or breaks a draft. Then having the powers at be drafting the right players. Jury is still out on the OL that have been drafted since 2017. Let's see what happens.

That's not how the Rams describe their process. And several Rams people have described that process several times, independently, each draft. First the personnel people have to learn what it is the OL coach wants in a player. They don't just go scout in the abstract. Secondly the OL coach is also involved in the off-season, doing things like attending the combine and even the senior bowl. Third Snead and Kromer collaborate on ranking the players.

He is deeply involved. Research how the Rams do things. You're talking in generalities, yet there is all this info out there on how the Rams approach it.

Not a single Rams OL pick happens without Kromer's involvement. He does not simply "put in a recommendation"--it's WAY more than that and again we KNOW this because Rams people are very forthcoming in describing their draft process. There's a ton out there on all this going back to 2017.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 am

ocram23 wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
Our front office has whiffed big time with this position. Yes they have made a lot of picks in draft on OL but they have missed most of the time. Good teams, Steelers to name 1, do a very good job selecting O linemen whether in the draft or FA. Rams for whatever reason have not. Hopefully they can make some off season moves that help rebuild this unit.
I don't know how anyone concludes they've "whiffed" on the oline picks. We're judging Noteboom on a few games at guard? 2 things... he could have improved as the season went on, especially since he's more of a tackle getting used to playing inside. He was also making his first 4 starts in the NFL. Allen? I'm not thrilled and doesn't look like a starter to me.
Edwards? Guy is a keeper. 5th rounder held his own against Bears and Cards. Had a rough game when it comes to penalites, but I have faith in him. Evans? Is playing well.

I'm just confused by the "whiff" comment here.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Cornell29
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:30 am

My biggest question is, what went into the thinking of not starting Blythe this year at Center? Was it the lack of prepared guards? Once Sullivan wasnt resigned, I thought for sure Blythe would move to C. I wonder if the rams were able to keep Saffold, would Blythe have moved to.Center?

Rate this topic