Corbett and Evans

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
Cornell29
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:30 am

Latest post of the previous page:

My biggest question is, what went into the thinking of not starting Blythe this year at Center? Was it the lack of prepared guards? Once Sullivan wasnt resigned, I thought for sure Blythe would move to C. I wonder if the rams were able to keep Saffold, would Blythe have moved to.Center?

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 am

Dick84 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 am
ocram23 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:33 am
UplandRam wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 pm
Keep in mind, these guys are still very young. They will get stronger over the next few years. I think the Oline will be pretty good next with the players we have in place now. Allen will return as a backup, Whitworth will probably retire, Noteboom will be back, Corbett looks good so far. Could see us adding a mid range FA or two in the off season.
To me, Edwards looks like more of a natural tackle than guard. Bobby Evans is going to take his lumps but I really like what I see so far.
Our front office has whiffed big time with this position. Yes they have made a lot of picks in draft on OL but they have missed most of the time. Good teams, Steelers to name 1, do a very good job selecting O linemen whether in the draft or FA. Rams for whatever reason have not. Hopefully they can make some off season moves that help rebuild this unit.
I don't know how anyone concludes they've "whiffed" on the oline picks. We're judging Noteboom on a few games at guard? 2 things... he could have improved as the season went on, especially since he's more of a tackle getting used to playing inside. He was also making his first 4 starts in the NFL. Allen? I'm not thrilled and doesn't look like a starter to me.
Edwards? Guy is a keeper. 5th rounder held his own against Bears and Cards. Had a rough game when it comes to penalites, but I have faith in him. Evans? Is playing well.

I'm just confused by the "whiff" comment here.
Maybe whiff was an over statement yes they are still young. Hopefully they pan out. I am not too excited about Havenstein anymore. I just go back to the very high picks, smith and robinson, and they whiffed big time on those and nobody can argue that.

Cornell29
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am

ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Our front office has whiffed big time with this position. Yes they have made a lot of picks in draft on OL but they have missed most of the time. Good teams, Steelers to name 1, do a very good job selecting O linemen whether in the draft or FA. Rams for whatever reason have not. Hopefully they can make some off season moves that help rebuild this unit.
I don't know how anyone concludes they've "whiffed" on the oline picks. We're judging Noteboom on a few games at guard? 2 things... he could have improved as the season went on, especially since he's more of a tackle getting used to playing inside. He was also making his first 4 starts in the NFL. Allen? I'm not thrilled and doesn't look like a starter to me.
Edwards? Guy is a keeper. 5th rounder held his own against Bears and Cards. Had a rough game when it comes to penalites, but I have faith in him. Evans? Is playing well.

Maybe whiff was an over statement yes they are still young. Hopefully they pan out. I am not too excited about Havenstein anymore. I just go back to the very high picks, smith and robinson, and they whiffed big time on those and nobody can argue that.
Its still early, but if Hav does lose his starting job he cannot be cut without suffering a 6 million plus cap hit, but he could be traded.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am

ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Havenstein has been very good. Then this year happened. I have no idea what's going on with him, but the pick certainly wasn't a whiff. Was re-signing him a whiff? Maybe!
I just don't look at guys like Smith and Robinson when evaluating the Oline drafting of this current team. Fisher gets credit for some of the good.. Goff and Donald... but Robinson screams Fisher.

They seem to be doing much, much better now.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am

ocram23 wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
Keep in mind, these guys are still very young. They will get stronger over the next few years. I think the Oline will be pretty good next with the players we have in place now. Allen will return as a backup, Whitworth will probably retire, Noteboom will be back, Corbett looks good so far. Could see us adding a mid range FA or two in the off season.
To me, Edwards looks like more of a natural tackle than guard. Bobby Evans is going to take his lumps but I really like what I see so far.
Whiff? As dick said explain.

To say such to me means you have not taken the time to really watch Evans, Edwards, and Corbett since being inserted as starters. I agree too early to get really excited but they have all played well. Especially Evans and Edwards and Evans in two of the 3 weeks had to deal with Mack and Jones at times. Those two run blocking have been damn good. Again have you gone back and watched them?

And like I mentioned earlier if you feel they should have taken a OL instead of Rapp in last year’s draft then again who. And more importantly are any of them playing as well as Rapp. Your target Snead appears to have nailed that pick. Again if you choose to hate fine but since those 3 OL were inserted as started the hate is more than a bit without warrant. Even if they struggle a bit the last 4 games they have shown enough so far to want to see more next year. And my feeling is they will continue to show well the remainder of the season.

Cornell29
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:54 am

NorCal RF wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am
ocram23 wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
Whiff? As dick said explain.

To say such to me means you have not taken the time to really watch Evans, Edwards, and Corbett since being inserted as starters. I agree too early to get really excited but they have all played well. Especially Evans and Edwards and Evans in two of the 3 weeks had to deal with Mack and Jones at times. Those two run blocking have been damn good. Again have you gone back and watched them?

And like I mentioned earlier if you feel they should have taken a OL instead of Rapp in last year’s draft then again who. And more importantly are any of them playing as well as Rapp. Your target Snead appears to have nailed that pick. Again if you choose to hate fine but since those 3 OL were inserted as started the hate is more than a bit without warrant. Even if they struggle a bit the last 4 games they have shown enough so far to want to see more next year. And my feeling is they will continue to show well the remainder of the season.
Rapp plays a position of importance and his importance will grow even more next year when Weddle is gone.

toast49
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:57 am

Wonder why Corbett didn't work out for the Browns. He was a high 2nd round pick.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Smith and Robinson? My god how long ago was that! You have to go back that far to support your stance! Every team in the league has such whiffs! Not being fair oc.

Havenstein has had a bad year. It happens. But have we got that short of a memory to not remember his play the previous two year? You certainly can remember Smith and Robinson! Selective memory? I’m not giving up on Havenstein and my bet is the Rams are not either.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am

toast49 wrote:
Wonder why Corbett didn't work out for the Browns. He was a high 2nd round pick.
No idea, but I'll say that Kitchens ain't bright.

3-24-16

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am

NorCal RF wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

Smith and Robinson? My god how long ago was that! You have to go back that far to support your stance! Every team in the league has such whiffs! Not being fair oc.

Havenstein has had a bad year. It happens. But have we got that short of a memory to not remember his play the previous two year? You certainly can remember Smith and Robinson! Selective memory? I’m not giving up on Havenstein and my bet is the Rams are not either.
twice #2 overall picks being a bust and you don't think that is a big deal? Hope the young guys step up.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:19 am

ocram23 wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

twice #2 overall picks being a bust and you don't think that is a big deal? Hope the young guys step up.
It has nothing to do with this team and again if you are being fair every team in the league has had similar misses. If you are going to stick with your stance then also bring up where they drafted Donald, Kupp, Rapp, etc........... players who are actually a part of this current team.

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:26 am

NorCal RF wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:19 am
ocram23 wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:

It has nothing to do with this team and again if you are being fair every team in the league has had similar misses. If you are going to stick with your stance then also bring up where they drafted Donald, Kupp, Rapp, etc........... players who are actually a part of this current team.
Agree actually the 2017 draft was very good.

zackn
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Dick84 wrote:

My understanding is that Boudreau pounded the table for Robinson. He was looking at raw physical talent I guess. (And I am not "shifting blame," for him to be the pick, everyone had to buy in on it with him.) Boudreau's OL picks were not very good (except for Hav, and Brown's at least in the league). But then Hanifan's were worse overall.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 pm

zackn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 pm
Dick84 wrote:

My understanding is that Boudreau pounded the table for Robinson. He was looking at raw physical talent I guess. (And I am not "shifting blame," for him to be the pick, everyone had to buy in on it with him.) Boudreau's OL picks were not very good (except for Hav, and Brown's at least in the league). But then Hanifan's were worse overall.
The physical talent was amazing.

The commitment to football was amazingly bad.

3-24-16

Rate this topic