2017 vs 2018 vs 2019

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
Slickjack
Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm

in 2017, the mindset was to try to make it to the playoffs and we accomplished that. In 2018, we realize that it’s not just good enough to make it to the playoffs but you also need to get a buy and home-field advantage throughout. Although we did not accomplish that, all we had to do is win two games in order go to Super Bowl. In 2019 it seems that we took things for granted that got us where were at in 2017 and 2018 and as a result we are fighting an uphill battle. However, if we’ve learned from the down games that we’ve had this year, we could conceivably peek just in time and make a very strong run at the right time.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 pm

The only thing they took for granted this year was Snead, McVay, and Kramer thinking that Allen and Noteboom were ready to start.

zackn
Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
The only thing they took for granted this year was Snead, McVay, and Kramer thinking that Allen and Noteboom were ready to start.
I don;t think they were the problem. The problem was that both OTs declined and even regressed. You can play 2 newcomers on a line with stable OTs. But if both your OTs are an issue then starting 2 newcomers just compounds the problems.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 pm

zackn wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:
I don;t think they were the problem. The problem was that both OTs declined and even regressed. You can play 2 newcomers on a line with stable OTs. But if both your OTs are an issue then starting 2 newcomers just compounds the problems.
Certainly Havenstein has been off this year and Whit has slowed a bit. But my opinion, Corbett, Evans, and Edwards are playing a hell of a lot better as young unproven OL then Allen and Noteboom were. Whit is still Whit this year in the last 3 games.

Slickjack
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:48 am

I get a sense that some of our guys lost their edge this and went a little Hollywood. They should absolutely enjoy themselves but not at the expense of focus.

zackn
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 am

NorCal RF wrote:
zackn wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:
Certainly Havenstein has been off this year and Whit has slowed a bit. But my opinion, Corbett, Evans, and Edwards are playing a hell of a lot better as young unproven OL then Allen and Noteboom were. Whit is still Whit this year in the last 3 games.
Well Evans is playing better than Hav was and AW has gotten himself together since then. So the OT issue has improved. I was enthusiastic about Edwards all along. To me the surprise was Corbett, though I just didn't know much about him in the first place.

I don't write off NB. Far from it. Sometimes when a line is out of sync, it can look like the issue is individual play when in fact with a line that badly out of sync, it is difficult for any one player to look good.

So I see them as having 4 new prospects going into 2020. The 3 playing now plus NB, dependiong on his recovery.

It's unusual for a line to look good against anybody when they are playing 3 injury replacements...but then as luck would have it, the Rams were in the process of providing for a new 2020 OL, and those guys were just called upon early. Not every OL with extensive injuries has drafted 5 linemen in 2 years and traded for a 6th young prospect. So it's like you get hit for a big car repair bill but the same day find a wallet with no ID and a ton of money in it.

No matter how they play the rest of the year, the Rams will have good young OL prospects for 2020...which they would have all along, except now they will have experience too.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:55 am

zackn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 am
NorCal RF wrote:
zackn wrote:

Well Evans is playing better than Hav was and AW has gotten himself together since then. So the OT issue has improved. I was enthusiastic about Edwards all along. To me the surprise was Corbett, though I just didn't know much about him in the first place.

I don't write off NB. Far from it. Sometimes when a line is out of sync, it can look like the issue is individual play when in fact with a line that badly out of sync, it is difficult for any one player to look good.

So I see them as having 4 new prospects going into 2020. The 3 playing now plus NB, dependiong on his recovery.

It's unusual for a line to look good against anybody when they are playing 3 injury replacements...but then as luck would have it, the Rams were in the process of providing for a new 2020 OL, and those guys were just called upon early. Not every OL with extensive injuries has drafted 5 linemen in 2 years and traded for a 6th young prospect. So it's like you get hit for a big car repair bill but the same day find a wallet with no ID and a ton of money in it.

No matter how they play the rest of the year, the Rams will have good young OL prospects for 2020...which they would have all along, except now they will have experience too.

Right now I’d say a handful of money in that wallet but certainly not empty lol. Hopefully turns into that ton.

Most importantly if they continue in this positive trend then fans can relax over not having a #1 pick. It also is going to play a big role in now possibly being able to pay a few of those defensive players.

zackn
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:03 am

NorCal RF wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:55 am

Right now I’d say a handful of money in that wallet but certainly not empty lol. Hopefully turns into that ton.

Most importantly if they continue in this positive trend then fans can relax over not having a #1 pick. It also is going to play a big role in now possibly being able to pay a few of those defensive players.
I never worried about #1 picks for OL in the first place. Look back at Kromer's superbowl OL in New Orleans. He had one 2nd round pick, 2 4ths, and 2 5ths.

"A handful of money"? Do not underestimate these guys. 8-)

It is HUGE that a team can field 3 green OL injury replacements deep into the season and look good against anybody. I don't know if that or anything like it has happened in the NFL before, but it certainly hasn't happened with the Rams before. The odds are heavily against any line looking good, even for a couple of games, under those conditions.

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 am

Slickjack wrote:
I get a sense that some of our guys lost their edge this and went a little Hollywood. They should absolutely enjoy themselves but not at the expense of focus.
I don't think that is the problem at all. I think the talent level with this position on this team is below average. Remember you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Rammer
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 am

ocram23 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 am
Slickjack wrote:
I don't think that is the problem at all. I think the talent level with this position on this team is below average. Remember you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.
I think it's a little of both. We lost some talent on the line, got a little older more beat up. Also, the Rams seem to be less prepared for what is coming at them, from the coach on down.

Rate this topic