Survey: Best New Ram 2019

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:12 am

What new player is the best addition to the Rams?

Please vote.

My vote..

Rapp

"In McVay We Trust!"

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:25 am

Ramsey
Matthews
Rapp
Weddle
Edwards

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:43 am

Weddle??? are you f'n kidding me? biggest disappointment this year. I think Rapp is solid, Matthews has been solid too. Ramsey if they sign him back is obviously the best addition.

Come on dick...weddle???

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:51 am

ocram23 wrote:
Weddle??? are you f'n kidding me? biggest disappointment this year. I think Rapp is solid, Matthews has been solid too. Ramsey if they sign him back is obviously the best addition.

Come on dick...weddle???
His PFF grade is about 75. What am I missing? He's the QB on the defense, one that had two shit games and has excelled otherwise while changing both starting corners and the other safety.

He's, literally, one of the best performing newcomers.

3-24-16

toast49
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:54 am

I'm going with Evans. Our offense has looked so much better since he started at Tackle. Big time blocker from Oklahoma. We got a good one.

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am

Dick84 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Come on dick...weddle???
His PFF grade is about 75. What am I missing? He's the QB on the defense, one that had two shit games and has excelled otherwise while changing both starting corners and the other safety.

Agree to disagree. Weddle is an embarrassment.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 am

Rapp says Weddle has helped him.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 am

ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Come on dick...weddle???

Objectively, there’s not really anything to back your disagreement.
He’s not expensive and is captaining the defense and playing well.
Not sure what the standard is here for “good”. Not claiming he’s a star or difference maker, but he’s doing his job well.

3-24-16

RamPower
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 am
Rapp says Weddle has helped him.
I would sure think so - very smart player with a ton of experience and knowledge. No doubt guys look up to him. I sure wouldn't mind seeing Weddle as a position coach with the Rams when he hangs 'em up.

Rapp or Ramsey for me (best new Ram). Ramsey for now, but I see Rapp as a future Pro-Bowler himself.

war room warrior
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:59 am

Well, it has to be Ramsey for the simple fact the Defense improved so much since he arrived.
Rapp gonna become their best draft pick,but; that being said, you can’t over look what Evan’s done in the short amount of time he’s put in....
Go Rams 🏈🏈🏈

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 pm

ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Come on dick...weddle???

Embarrassment is a damn strong word and a bit inaccurate. State he hasn’t played up to expectations then fine but embarrassment no sorry.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

Embarrassment is a damn strong word and a bit inaccurate. State he hasn’t played up to expectations then fine but embarrassment no sorry.
What were the expectations? How has he not met them?
Seriously.. his leadership and on field knowledge were the biggest reasons cited for getting him. How has he failed in any way? ESPECIALLY considering all the changes in the secondary. He’s s big improvement over Joyner.. who signed a HUGE deal.

3-24-16

ocram23
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

Ravens game monday night a total embarrassment. sorry but it is true. I am sure Rapp has learned a lot from him that is only natural. But he is an undersized slow DB who gets run over continually. He needs to go.

Raminec
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:41 pm

From the draft it’s clearly Rapp. He has shown a lot of promise and continues to improve. Edwards and Evans have developed well although they are still learning but the O line would be a complete mess if the Rams didn’t have them. This year’s playing experience will bode well for their future. Regarding Weddle I was thrilled about his signing originally but have noticed his skills have diminished. Physically he can’t play the position like he did in his younger days but he definitely brings leadership and more continuity to the Rams secondary. In previous years the Rams had a physically gifted safety in Joyner that had the speed that Weddle lacks but always seemed to be out of position or too late to make a play. There has not been nearly as many completely busted coverages like there was in the previous two and I attribute that to Weddles leadership. I think Weddle has really aided in the development of Rapp and also think that Weddle’s role changed a lot when JJ went down. He’s forced into a more FS role than the Rams envisioned him when he was signed. It’s been difficult to determine Ramsey’s impact since he was acquired because most of the teams the Rams played outside of Atlanta and possibly the Cardinals were run first teams which don’t have dynamic passing attacks or top tier receivers that highlight the benefit of having a true shut down corner. The defense outside of the Ravens fiasco has definitely played better statistically since Ramsey was acquired but outside of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones the Rams haven’t faced a top tier passing attack. When you invest two number 1 picks the expectations are extremely high . Hopefully he can help slow the Seahawks passing game on Sunday.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:44 pm

ocram23 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Ravens game monday night a total embarrassment. sorry but it is true. I am sure Rapp has learned a lot from him that is only natural. But he is an undersized slow DB who gets run over continually. He needs to go.
What player/coach on the Rams *wasn't* an embarassment against the Ravens?

It's funny... people just can't help themselves when it comes to evaluating players. Weddle had major critics in San Diego because he got run over by Shonn Greene.
It's so funny how these types of plays distort the value of a player.. .especially a free safety calling the defense like Weddle. You could have a safety who's AWFUL at calling coverages, organizing the D.. but if he blows up a running back, he must be good!!

Again.. instead of anecdotal generalizations.. give me a reason why he's not good at the job he was hired to do, play free safety?
Rams are 10th in passing yardage per game, better than last year. With numerous changes around him in mid-season... including losing Johnson. This stuff is just silliness and you're just digging yourself in because you don't like a player.

3-24-16

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Dick84 wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Seriously.. his leadership and on field knowledge were the biggest reasons cited for getting him. How has he failed in any way? ESPECIALLY considering all the changes in the secondary. He’s s big improvement over Joyner.. who signed a HUGE deal.
Improvement over Joyner agree even though Joyner had some moments as a Ram. It’s why I won’t say big improvement. His cost not a problem. But he hasn’t been great in coverage dick. I thought he would be better. If you think he has then we will simply agree to disagree. I acknowledge the leadership and field knowledge aspect but my first priority with any player is their actual performance on field. Again JMO but I expected more. But too state “embarrassment” like oc did again sorry completely inaccurate which I know we both agree on. He has done nothing to embarrass this team.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:52 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:

Improvement over Joyner agree even though Joyner had some moments as a Ram. It’s why I won’t say big improvement. His cost not a problem. But he hasn’t been great in coverage dick. I thought he would be better. If you think he has then we will simply agree to disagree. I acknowledge the leadership and field knowledge aspect but my first priority with any player is their actual performance on field. Again JMO but I expected more. But too state “embarrassment” like oc did again sorry completely inaccurate which I know we both agree on. He has done nothing to embarrass this team.
I'm saying I have no idea where the "coverage" thing comes from when the secondary is producing at a higher level than last year.
You seem to think his ability to organize the D and get everyone on the same page doesn't apply to the package of his performance. Because, to me, when that's what he was primarily brought in for.
So.. to me... that's the 1st priority in evaluating him... how is he getting the D lined up? Second is he's fine in coverage.. the Rams pass defense has taken a jump this year.

And.. again... his leadership is what the team wanted... but PFF has graded his play a 75.. which is good and higher than any of the Rams newcomers.

3-24-16

MothaFaulker
Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 pm

I was somewhat disappointed in Weddle early on...thought he was too slow to react at times and left Peters hanging on multiple long balls in zone. That being said, I remember his first interview as a Ram where he said he wanted to play here because he loved the man cover system and wasn’t about to go sit in zone in other schemes. Since the switch to man he’s been a different player...though I suspect he’s gone after this yr.

toast49
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:02 pm

I haven't been too impressed by Weddle as a Ram. His tackling has been very inconsistent, but it's the way he's guessing in coverage that annoys me the most. I've seen our DB's look at him after a play when they were expecting him to be over the top and he wasn't there. Just don't see the leadership that everyone else does but maybe that's more on the practice field and meetings.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Dick84 wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

I'm saying I have no idea where the "coverage" thing comes from when the secondary is producing at a higher level than last year.
You seem to think his ability to organize the D and get everyone on the same page doesn't apply to the package of his performance. Because, to me, when that's what he was primarily brought in for.
So.. to me... that's the 1st priority in evaluating him... how is he getting the D lined up? Second is he's fine in coverage.. the Rams pass defense has taken a jump this year.

And.. again... his leadership is what the team wanted... but PFF has graded his play a 75.. which is good and higher than any of the Rams newcomers.
Again we will agree to disagree. What you are stating is yes part of his performance but I just don’t think he has been great in coverage. Good ok but not great. That jump you are referring to if you want to give him credit for his play calling as a contributing factor to that number then fine I’m good with it but in regards to actual play I think others have contributed more to that stat then him.

JMO.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:10 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:

Again we will agree to disagree. What you are stating is yes part of his performance but I just don’t think he has been great in coverage. Good ok but not great. That jump you are referring to if you want to give him credit for his play calling as a contributing factor to that number then fine I’m good with it but in regards to actual play I think others have contributed more to that stat then him.

JMO.
Who?
How?
And... back to the original question... where does he rank on newcomers?
I had him rated 4th, you think that’s too high? Tell me why.

3-24-16

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Oh.. yeah... 91% of defensive snaps.

3-24-16

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:10 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

JMO.
Who?
How?
And... back to the original question... where does he rank on newcomers?
I had him rated 4th, you think that’s too high? Tell me why.
I’m not understanding the newcomer and rated 4th comment..........

Even though it’s just six games I feel Johnson was better in coverage. Rapp has been over the last few games. Early on no but lately yes. I’m not sure if are we including CB’s but clearly Ramsey is and I feel Robey - Coleman has too.

I think we are debating “apple and oranges”. I said he has been ok to good. Not bad or a “embarrassment”. You view his play better than that. I get he has held that unit all together during injuries and trades. And yes it counts. I just don’t feel as much as your are meriting which is fine.

Rate this topic