Rewatched Ravens Game Fresh Perspective

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
therealheadslap75
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:34 am

any one who bothers to read my post can agree that I'm not a homer, so I rewatched the ravens game after a good win got between the drubbing by the ravens and here are my points:

1. McVay called a pretty crummy game
2. The Line played better than I thought, not a good game, but you would think it got manhandled, not the case, Goff had a lot of clean pockets, the two sacks were TE Everett poorly blocking Ravens best pass rusher OLBJudon and a corner blitz, the interior of the line played pretty well on passing downs, I think we got behind so quickly that the running game and subsequently play action became irrelevant.
3. Goffs pick by Peters was slightly under thrown but otherwise a great play by Peters, the pick on throw to Kupp was Kupps fault, just a bad drop, but Goff missed a few too many plays and was horrible on the money down
4. wade was horrifying, the OLB's created a running lane every play, I think you gotta play zone vs baltimore, there is no one receiver that scares you and Ramsey would be more of a wildcard if we were in zone and run support would have been better
5. our interior pressure is poor, when donald goes outside its even worse, we need a pocket collapsing DT, SJD is very very ok and Fox is not good at all, smart is weak and not quick

malibu
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 pm

Lot of reasons we lost that game a absolutely horrifying event to say the least.

That said the key reason we lost that game was literally zero answer for the run which fed off the fact that Lamar could run as well. We had zero answer for it I have never seen anything like this it was like a highschool teams defense vs an NFL teams defense. No MLB pressense, fucking dumb inside rushing by the olbs, no one staying in their lanes, no spy of any value the run Defense list goes on and on. Wade Phillips answer for the run defense was embarrassing. I would have fired him the next day. No team is that much better. Guys this is a better version of last year's team with the only downside is the oline.

armyram
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 pm

With the team like the Ravens, you have to pick your poison...either focus on stopping the run or stop the pass, don't play them both and hope your offense performs well and you get lucky on a few turnovers and win the ST's battle. problem is LJ is a hell of a passer too. They use that guy like it's Madden football and it's surprising as hell that he hasn't gotten injured. Another problem is if you turn the heat up on Jackson, you are sure going to draw a few penalties for roughing. I truly believe that the Niners/ Ravens game was a SB preview but I can easily see the Seahawks being in there...damn, hate them both but it is what it is. I wouldn't be surprised if either team does just enough to beat the Ravens in the SB. Still early but just cant see anyone beating the Ravens in the AFC. As for NFC, I strongly believe the rep for the SB will be from the NFC West. Don't think GB or Vikings have enough and definitely no to the Cowboys or Eagles.

UplandRam
Site Admin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 pm

That game was TOTALLY on Wade. Playing man to man means your DB's are going to have their backs to the QB. What they did, was simply run deep routes and take the Rams DB's deep, with their backs to the QB and huge lanes were opened. Plus, wade kept on running stunts with our defensive lineman. Of course, that opened up huge holes in the middle. Weddle was HORRIBLE.
I have seen a TON of football over decades, that was the WORSE defensive scheme I have ever seen. What made it worse, when they scored the first two TD's with ease, he didn't adjust at all.
Yes, I have read all the comments from his defenders. The defense has been good outside the Tampa bay and Ravens games. Games the defense gave up over 100 points. The ONLY reason the defense has been decent outside of those two games is because the caliber of players we have.
Wade is AWFUL and I will continue to say so.No passion, no heart and no ability to adjust.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 am

Our defensive front line was shoved back by their o line every snap...99 ead doubled and tripled and the others were dominated on every snap.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 am

armyram wrote:
With the team like the Ravens, you have to pick your poison...either focus on stopping the run or stop the pass, don't play them both and hope your offense performs well and you get lucky on a few turnovers and win the ST's battle. problem is LJ is a hell of a passer too. They use that guy like it's Madden football and it's surprising as hell that he hasn't gotten injured. Another problem is if you turn the heat up on Jackson, you are sure going to draw a few penalties for roughing. I truly believe that the Niners/ Ravens game was a SB preview but I can easily see the Seahawks being in there...damn, hate them both but it is what it is. I wouldn't be surprised if either team does just enough to beat the Ravens in the SB. Still early but just cant see anyone beating the Ravens in the AFC. As for NFC, I strongly believe the rep for the SB will be from the NFC West. Don't think GB or Vikings have enough and definitely no to the Cowboys or Eagles.
You forgot the 10-2 Saints who host S.F. this week and won at Seattle with Teddy Bridgewater at QB.
And I'm not ready to count the Rams out yet either... we'll have a lot to say about things and we did knock out Brees and whoop the Saints 27-9....

grackler
Starter

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:54 am

Rams do seem to run hot-and-cold. Fortunately, the LAR coaching staff is closely familiar with the Seahawks and has considerable previous success against them....recall that if Zuerlein's game-ending kick earlier this year had been barely 10 inches to the left, a critical loss would have morphed into a huge victory over the Hags.

Sunday's game will be far closer than many here believe. I give the Rams a more than 50% chance of notching a victory.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:33 am

A team like the Ravens,,,,

They basically were using 2 to 3 TEs sets...

To counter that,,,, we needed to use a 4-3 defense....

The Ravens played 49% / 36 plays out of 11 personnel grouping.
14 drop back, 22 rushing...

8% / 6 plays out of 12 personnel grouping

27% / 20 plays out of 22 personnel grouping... (1 WR)

3% / 2 plays out of 13 personnel grouping...

Basically their key was to run the ball, and abuse our LBers...by double teaming the inside....

To counter that,,, a 4-3 defense would stop that...we have the personnel with both SJD and Gaines to play the DT... and put AD and Brockers on the ends, with three LBers……

Ramsey is going to shut down one side... Keep one safety deep and the other two DB covering the second receiver or TE...

I was just disappointed how Wade didn't make this change,,,

armyram
Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:25 am

Rampager66 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 am
armyram wrote:
You forgot the 10-2 Saints who host S.F. this week and won at Seattle with Teddy Bridgewater at QB.
And I'm not ready to count the Rams out yet either... we'll have a lot to say about things and we did knock out Brees and whoop the Saints 27-9....
I sure the hell did!!!

RamPower
Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:39 am

Read-option QB's that can throw like Jackson are likely the hardest thing to defend. Also, the Ravens block across the entire line (including TE's) with impressive physicality. Have extremely physical backs to wear on you as well. Receivers/TE's run great routes. Really no weaknesses.

Yes Jackson is a very willing runner that likes to finish runs with physicality…tho his time is limited regarding potential injury in my opinion - backs get dinged up/hurt all they time, and they can take offensive plays off obviously. A QB is an every down player of course, and can't risk hits to hands, shoulder, head or legs for that matter. Oh well.

A form of a spy has to be worked in, which Wade appeared to disregard (unless Rapp was working outside the game plan). Also, defense has to stay true to their lanes/gap integrity. Rams were certainly getting knocked around and neutralized. As well, a QB like Jackson has to be treated like a back in that he should take a hard shot whether he hands off or not while going thru an obvious read. He got to the edge with such ease (yes at times even evading proper defensive positioning). A defense needs very active linebackers to read/react, set edges and play close pass coverage. It's quite a task, but the whiners certainly showed Wade (and others) how it should be drawn up…

sanbagger
Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:28 am

UplandRam wrote:
That game was TOTALLY on Wade. Playing man to man means your DB's are going to have their backs to the QB. What they did, was simply run deep routes and take the Rams DB's deep, with their backs to the QB and huge lanes were opened. Plus, wade kept on running stunts with our defensive lineman. Of course, that opened up huge holes in the middle. Weddle was HORRIBLE.
I have seen a TON of football over decades, that was the WORSE defensive scheme I have ever seen. What made it worse, when they scored the first two TD's with ease, he didn't adjust at all.
Yes, I have read all the comments from his defenders. The defense has been good outside the Tampa bay and Ravens games. Games the defense gave up over 100 points. The ONLY reason the defense has been decent outside of those two games is because the caliber of players we have.
Wade is AWFUL and I will continue to say so.No passion, no heart and no ability to adjust.
Hmmm...I'm getting the feeling you're not a Wade Phillips guy.....don't know why, it just seems that way.

brasilrams
Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:20 am

sanbagger wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
Hmmm...I'm getting the feeling you're not a Wade Phillips guy.....don't know why, it just seems that way.
Wade needs to go.

toast49
Pro-bowler

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:57 am

Game on defense came down to holding the edge on Jackson on running plays and not crashing down in the fake. Mathews failed to do that on the first option play and let Jackson take off which the run defense continued to do all game. Needed to play zone and not man as Jackson has destroyed man coverage both running and throwing. Wade played man which is stupid and completely on him. Pretty much it came down to a really stupid game plan on the defensive side.

zackn
Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:50 am

UplandRam wrote:
Yeah no excuses for the Ravens game but two things in Wade's defense.

First, how much zone CAN they play with a new CB acquired mid-season? Before Ramsey Rams were known for the variety and complexity of their coverages. With Ramsey, since he wasn't with them in camp and doesn;t know that stuff, it's likely they had to jettison that.

Second, Wade is known for his adjustments and we've seen that work. There are whole games where adjustments at the half on D made the difference. For example the Dallas game in 2017.

In the superbowl the Rams held Brady to no TDs (after TB threw at least one TD in 17 of 18 games during the season & post-season combined), and held him to a qb rating of 71.4 after he averaged 97.7 for the season. Last time Brady failed to throw a TD in a post-season game was 2002. They also held the Patz to 13 points in a year when they ranked 4th in scoring (averaging 27.7 points per game).

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:30 am

Once in a while a team shits the bed. That was the Ravens game. The whole team.

I just hope they’ve righted the ship.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

brasilrams
Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:30 am
Once in a while a team shits the bed. That was the Ravens game. The whole team.

I just hope they’ve righted the ship.
The defense put up a shit show against Tampa too. At home. TAMPA! Wade needs to go. You see defenseS with way less talent ( sf...patz...) that won't put up a shit show during the season ans Wade has 2 already.

brasilrams
Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:51 pm

zackn wrote:
UplandRam wrote:

First, how much zone CAN they play with a new CB acquired mid-season? Before Ramsey Rams were known for the variety and complexity of their coverages. With Ramsey, since he wasn't with them in camp and doesn;t know that stuff, it's likely they had to jettison that.

Second, Wade is known for his adjustments and we've seen that work. There are whole games where adjustments at the half on D made the difference. For example the Dallas game in 2017.

In the superbowl the Rams held Brady to no TDs (after TB threw at least one TD in 17 of 18 games during the season & post-season combined), and held him to a qb rating of 71.4 after he averaged 97.7 for the season. Last time Brady failed to throw a TD in a post-season game was 2002. They also held the Patz to 13 points in a year when they ranked 4th in scoring (averaging 27.7 points per game).
I wonder where were his adjustments on the Tampa, Seattle and Ravens game. That is 3 pathetic performances by his unit. Way too many for 11 games if you ask me.

sanbagger
Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:57 pm

brasilrams wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:20 am
sanbagger wrote:
UplandRam wrote:
Wade needs to go.
IDK...top 10 defense rankings wise...usually that doesn't get you fired

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:43 pm

brasilrams wrote:
zackn wrote:
UplandRam wrote:

I wonder where were his adjustments on the Tampa, Seattle and Ravens game. That is 3 pathetic performances by his unit. Way too many for 11 games if you ask me.
The D made enough plays in the Seattle game to get them the ball with a chance to win. Wilson is kinda good.

The obsession with firing guys is funny.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

zackn
Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:47 pm

brasilrams wrote:

'

That's that old thing people do sometimes. If a team loses, someone goes "they didn't adjust."

When the truth is they have no actual clue whether they did or not.

All teams adjust. The rare tie aside, only half of them win on game week. "Losing" is not a synonymn for "didn't adjust." Neither is "losing a bad one by a lot."

Even with the Tampa and Ravens games, Rams are ranked 13th in points, 12th in yards, 9th against the pass, 13th against the run, 4th in yards per rushing attempt, 4th in yards per play allowed, 9th in opponent completion percentage, 9th in sack percentage, 3rd in pressures & 3rd in pressure percentage, and 8th in tackles for loss.

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:11 am

The Key is for the Defense to not have a Ravens/Bucs type game when it counts, …. with the season on the line..
His unit came to play all 3 playoff games last year, even the one they lost.
I thought we might see them do something after the Baltimore embarrassment but it appears he's here at least til we're eliminated.
So here's hopin we got the bad defensive performances out of the way and they help carry the team to the playoffs.
He's done a good job game planning against the Hags as the Rams DC, let's hope that continues tonight.... and the O builds off last weeks success.
GO RAMS!

brasilrams
Veteran

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:22 am

zackn wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:47 pm
brasilrams wrote:

'

That's that old thing people do sometimes. If a team loses, someone goes "they didn't adjust."

When the truth is they have no actual clue whether they did or not.

All teams adjust. The rare tie aside, only half of them win on game week. "Losing" is not a synonymn for "didn't adjust." Neither is "losing a bad one by a lot."

Even with the Tampa and Ravens games, Rams are ranked 13th in points, 12th in yards, 9th against the pass, 13th against the run, 4th in yards per rushing attempt, 4th in yards per play allowed, 9th in opponent completion percentage, 9th in sack percentage, 3rd in pressures & 3rd in pressure percentage, and 8th in tackles for loss.

13 th in points is what matters. And it is not good for the amount of talent and investments made in the defense. I would expect at least Top 10 and ideally top 5. Allowing tampa and Ravens to go basically all game without a punt is totally unacceptable for the amount of talent this team has.

zackn
Veteran

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Lindsey Thiry@LindseyThiry
How good was the Rams defense tonight?

Per @ESPNStatsInfo: The Seahawks had scored an offensive touchdown in 43 straight games. Their last game without one was Week 1 2017 at the Packers (lost 17-9).

The Rams did not allow an offensive TD tonight.
Cameron DaSilva@camdasilva
The Rams gave up 110 points to the Bucs and Ravens. In the other 11 games, they allowed 152 – or 13.8 per game

The defense deserves more attention as one of the best in the league
Sports Illustrated@SInow
Russell Wilson’s streak of at least one touchdown pass in 16-straight games – playoffs included – has been snapped in a 28-12 loss to the Rams
NFL Research@NFLResearch
The @RamsNFL held the Seahawks without an offensive touchdown in their 28-12 #SNF win.

It was the first time Seattle has failed to score an offensive TD in a game since Week 1, 2017 — 819 days ago.

And it gave the Rams their first ever primetime win over Russell Wilson.
J.B. Long@JB_Long
Seven consecutive games with 3+ sacks for this @RamsNFL defense. Longest active streak in the NFL. Five tonight to beat the Seahawks (without allowing an offensive TD from SEA).

Rate this topic