Pass Rush against Wilson

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
Raminec
Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Seahawks offense under Schottenheimer has been a run first and then use play action to take their big chunk shots downfield that Wilson is prolific at completing. Rams will definitely have to slow the run game and force the Seahawks into longer distance third down situations. I rewatched the first game and the Rams actually did pretty decent against the run but Wilson burned them with several off schedule throws when he scrambled and then made some miraculous pin point throws downfield like he usually does. One thing that I noticed was that the Rams edge rushers did a good job keeping him from escaping the pocket outside but especially in the first game he got free by stepping up in the pocket and escaping up the middle. They pass rushers ran past him. Russell Wilson has trouble when the pass rush collapses the interior of the pocket and he gets pressure immediately from the middle like most QB’s in the NFL. The Seahawks are particularly vulnerable right up the middle on passing play’s because they have a smaller back up center playing for their regular center who is on IR. I think the Rams can exploit that Weakness by getting AD over center to try to push that pocket immediately. I know he’s going to be doubled but I think the key after of course stopping the run is getting that push from the middle to put pressure and of course keep him from escaping back up the middle. Rams need to bring pressure, get their hands up and be disciplined in maintaining their rush lanes and take away Wilson’s amazing ability to create off schedule. Easier said than done but it’s key to beating Seattle defensively. A great offensive game plan and execution would also be a great help. Run first teams are great when they are playing with a lead but struggle when you can get up a couple scores on them. Rams offense needs to get TD’s when they get into the red zone instead of settling for field goals and control the time of possession with sustained drives to keep the defense fresh.

toast49
Pro-bowler

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Hawks had a lot of luck in the last game. Missed GZ makeable field goal. Some improbable Wilson throws. I feel like our Defense knows how to defend Wilson. Donald loves getting after him.

Slickjack
Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:42 pm

We need to stick him hard and clean, unlike what we were able to do vs. Jackson.

sdram
Pro-bowler

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

Slickjack wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:42 pm
We need to stick him hard and clean.
Done and done. Great job “D”!!!

Rate this topic