Why Wade is Gone

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Stole this from anouther board.

Jeaux Goodberry - @JoeGoodberry: Some interesting Marcus Peters' numbers in Kansas City and Baltimore vs his time in Los Angeles.

Catch percentage allowed:
KC: 54.8%
LA: 67.6%
Bal: 56.5%

Passer Rating:
KC: 65.2
LA: 106.3
Bal: 69.8

Very telling stats. Even Ramsey's play appeared to take a step back under Wade this year. For whatever the reason might be. Wade Phillips really lost his touch. It wouldn't shock me if he isn't coaching in the NFL next year.

SoCalRam78
Pro-bowler

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Wade was old school read and react beat your man d coordinator. He was brought in to help McVay. Same with Olson. The qb coach.

Mcvay wanted a guy I feel who schemed and scouted more than Wade. You could tell games in which the rams had zero clue. Baltimore was one. Tampa Bay and Dallas the others.

Wade has had a great career. But there’s a time you become long in the tooth. Dude was 72.

Fan since 80s

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:38 pm

SoCalRam78 wrote:
Wade was old school read and react beat your man d coordinator. He was brought in to help McVay. Same with Olson. The qb coach.

Mcvay wanted a guy I feel who schemed and scouted more than Wade. You could tell games in which the rams had zero clue. Baltimore was one. Tampa Bay and Dallas the others.

Wade has had a great career. But there’s a time you become long in the tooth. Dude was 72.
I agree with all of that. My sentiment as well...

zackn
Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:10 pm

HellRam wrote:

Jeaux Goodberry - @JoeGoodberry: Some interesting Marcus Peters' numbers in Kansas City and Baltimore vs his time in Los Angeles.

Passer Rating:

Very telling stats. Even Ramsey's play appeared to take a step back under Wade this year. For whatever the reason might be. Wade Phillips really lost his touch. It wouldn't shock me if he isn't coaching in the NFL next year.

Those are misleading stats though. Fact is Peters had a severely down time when Talib was out and they forced him to play man and he could not cut it. When Talib came back he improved. The bad numbers simply reflect that down period--which lower the averages.

Meanwhile last year Hill and Williams were excellent so obviously the coaching can't be what the original poster who compiled that claims it is. And in the 2018 postseason the Rams D played well--including the only postseason game since 2006 where Brady went without a TD. That does not happen if overall Peters was as bad as those (contextless) numbers imply.

The problem with raw averages is that they can disguise ups and downs. Peters was never again as bad as he was in that stretch in 2018.

But I bet that once a week we get another out of context "this is why Wade is gone" thing. Oh, speaking of which, with Ramsey, the Rams sack numbers improved overall because his presence changed the defense. Ramsey had nothing like Peters's bad stretch in 2018. He was a positive addition.

Either way, so far, I am fine with the Staley hire. I have no complaints about McV moving on with a new DC.

But the "Peters numbers prove something" argument just doesn't work.

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:16 pm

zackn wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:10 pm
HellRam wrote:

Passer Rating:

That's a misleading stat though. Fact is Peters had a severely down time when Talib was out and they forced him to play man and he could not cut it. When Talib came back he improved. The bad numbers simply reflect that down period--it lowers the averages.

Meanwhile last year Hill and Williams were excellent so obviously the coaching can't be what you misread of those numbers says it is. And in the 2018 postseason the Rams D played well--including the only postseason game since 2006 where Brady went without a TD. That does not happen if overall Peters was as bad as those (contextless) numbers imply.

The problem with raw averages is that they can disguise ups and downs. Peters was never again as bad as he was in that stretch in 2018.

But I bet that once a week we get another, out of context "this is why Wade is gone" thing.

Either way, so far, I am fine with the Staley hire. I have no complaints about McV moving on with a new DC.

But the "Peters numbers prove something" argument just doesn't work.

I can agree with some that. Like for example Peters was off to a strong start this season (under Wade) as well.

However, overall the defense was a disappointment. I think the defense gave up more points per game with Ramsey on the team then they did before they aquired him. McVay and the Rams made the right move to let Wade go.

Edit: And personally I think it's rather mute or even asinine to defend Wade at this point. Keep in mind I was beyond stoked when the Rams hired him. However, the FACT is they underachieved during the regular season, especially the last two seasons. It is what it is, regardless of excuses.

I am grateful for our playoff run last year. Wade was vintage. It just didn't last...
Last edited by HellRam on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

armyram
Veteran

I think the only problem with Wade is he didn’t adjust to shit. Also, one more... he didn’t get in anyone’s shit and hold them responsible

crazy-legs
Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Our biggest issue was we couldn't stop teams with a powerful offensive line. We don't have enough beef up front. We need to go to a 4-3, dump Brockers, let Fowler walk etc. and get a lot more stout up front. And fine a real MLB. The only FA I'd resign is Littleton and I'd play him outside in a 4-3...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

zackn
Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:04 pm

HellRam wrote:

However, overall the defense was a disappointment.
You know I just don't argue that it was wrong to let Wade go.

That was not my issue.

My issue is that those numbers that poster put together are misleading. I was making a very narrow point.

When a defense gives away 3 or 4 blowout games, it's the head coach's value judgment that counts, and I don't think either answer would have been wrong, really. Stick with Wade and fix some things. Start over with a new approach. That's entirely the head coach's call.

It's just that to me, Peters's misleading numbers don't PROVE anything. But then nothing has to the PROVED. As I said the defense was inconsistent and so the head coach makes a judgment call. Nothing wrong with that.

And the Rams secondary is SO deep that it's hard to argue it suffered from bad coaching. This is probably the deepest secondary Rams fans have ever seen. I mean name any other team that could trade away 2 starting corners during the season, lose the next set of starting corners to injuries, and STILL play well. That's just freaking ridiculous. Coaching clearly had something to do with that. I look forward to watching that secondary with a much more consistent 2020 Rams defense. Hopefully that is what Staley is bringing us.

Clovis
Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 am

SoCalRam78 wrote:
I agree. Wade had a job to do here and did his job. Seasons change and it's time to turn the page. I thank Wade for his work much like I thank Fisher for saving us from Spags.

Cornell29
Veteran

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 am

I pulled this from the skins message board, maybe he is onto something

McVay is basically pulling a young Leo Dicaprio and putting together a "**** posse" coaching staff. Young, handsome, rich and ready to smash all the chicks in LA. It was important to kick old man Wade to the curb -- dude was a total perv who scared a lot of tail away.
Last edited by Cornell29 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 pm

He is gone because he underachieved big time . All this talent during 3 years and the old man never cracked top 10 defense in points per game . This year our defense was LOADED and he finished 17th in points per game with 4 blowouts ( defense eating more then 40 points ) . I seriously think ANY DC in this league could do better than that .

sdram
Pro-bowler

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:27 pm

crazy-legs wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 pm
... The only FA I'd resign is Littleton and I'd play him outside in a 4-3...
I agree.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:35 am

Cornell29 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 am
I pulled this from the skins message board, maybe he is into something

McVay is basically pulling a young Leo Dicaprio and putting together a "**** posse" coaching staff. Young, handsome, rich and ready to smash all the chicks in LA. It was important to kick old man Wade to the curb -- dude was a total perv who scared a lot of tail away.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RadRacerRams
Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 pm

HellRam wrote:

Passer Rating:

Peters was injured while on the Rams and he was put in the #1 Cover CB spot when Talib went down.... which he is not good at cover the other teams #1 WR.... he's better at covering the #2 WR's or worst .... He can not cover #1's .....

When you are gonna write something , make sure to put all the Facts in it .....and J.R.#20 help the Rams win games and he pretty much should down the other teams #1 WR.....

Go Rams :when the RAMS get a Better #2 Cover CB they will increase sack totals...... :!:

Rate this topic