It's looking like NFL teams may black ball Josh McDaniels

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Post Reply
unclesams
Veteran
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 am
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:31 am

And rightfully so especially what he did to the Colts last season. I honestly dont think Josh McDaniels is NFL head coach material. Hes already failed miserably once and without Tom Brady running the Patriots offense, the guy would be mediocre at best.



war room warrior
Veteran
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:21 am
Location: Thibodaux, La.
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:08 pm

Hey he did draft Tim Tebow....
oh yea, that didn’t workout to well.... lol 😂😂
Yea I would never hire they dude after what he did to the Colts.!



Claremontram
Veteran
Posts: 1937
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:57 am
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 pm

He certainly failed with the Rams.



Cornell29
Veteran
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:56 am
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Claremontram wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 pm
He certainly failed with the Rams.
Sam Bradford and Jeff Fisher? He wasnt given much.




User avatar
Commish
Veteran
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Cornell29 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 pm
Claremontram wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 pm
He certainly failed with the Rams.
Sam Bradford and Jeff Fisher? He wasnt given much.
Well, actually it was Sam Bradford and Steve Spagnuolo, which was arguably worse.

However, Pat Shurmur had managed considerably better with that same QB/HC combination the year before... :) 8-) :idea:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Last edited by Commish on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.


UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

User avatar
Raminec
Veteran
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:49 pm

McDaniels is nothing special. With Gronk the offense was decent but without Gronk and an old Brady the Patriots offense was pedestrian at best. Most of their points early in the season were the result of defensive take aways and short fields.


Sorry my optimistic perspective doesn’t fit your negative narrative.

User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Nah.
More like he’s not gonna jump unless it’s exactly the situation he wants.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm

unclesams wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:31 am
It's looking like NFL teams may black ball Josh McDaniels
I don't think so.

If you black ball a guy you don't interview him at all.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't like McDaniels much and haven't since he was the head coach at Denver. Then, coordinator for the Rams.

Sounds like the Cleveland owner had some unusual stipulations for his head coach. Sounds like Stefanski was willing to go along with them. Sounds like McDaniels wasn't.

And good for us too because word was, McDaniels first choice for an offensive coordinator was Kevin O'Connell.



wildram01
Bench Warmer
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 pm
Contact:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:42 pm

I don't think he's necessarily being black balled, but with his history he's definitely going to have to convince a team then and there at the interview that he will take the job if offered. Cleveland just did the most Cleveland thing they could think of in hiring Stefanski. A year where there are very few coaching vacancies, they have no competition left, and one of the hottest candidates (Saleh) is still available, and they choose the OC of the team that Saleh just totally shut down, apparently because he agreed to let the owner and part-time GM micromanage everything. Recipe for success!



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 am

wildram01 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:42 pm
Cleveland just did the most Cleveland thing they could think of in hiring Stefanski.
Stefanski agreed to Cleveland's unusual management set-up (eg. the analytics people review game plans every Friday). Apparently McDaniels would not agree to that stuff. Word is other than that McDaniels was the first choice.



dieterbrock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:08 pm
Contact:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 am

Commish wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 pm
Cornell29 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 pm
Claremontram wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 pm
He certainly failed with the Rams.
Sam Bradford and Jeff Fisher? He wasnt given much.
Well, actually it was Sam Bradford and Steve Spagnuolo, which was arguably worse.

However, Pat Shurmur had managed considerably better with that same QB/HC combination the year before... :) 8-) :idea:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Hey, he also had Rodger Saffold



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm
Contact:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 am

zackn wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 am
wildram01 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:42 pm
Cleveland just did the most Cleveland thing they could think of in hiring Stefanski.
Stefanski agreed to Cleveland's unusual management set-up (eg. the analytics people review game plans every Friday). Apparently McDaniels would not agree to that stuff. Word is other than that McDaniels was the first choice.
Depodesta won the power struggle and it's his direction they're following.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16


therealheadslap75
Veteran
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:35 am
Contact:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:10 am

I really really dislike Josh McDaniels
However, my guess is the Browns will regret this decision, like they regret most of their decisions. McDaniels has been around a lot of really good football. Lets not forget Belichick's first HC position was not a resounding success. McDaniels has seen the inner workings of a very very successful process longer than just about anybody. Yes he's had Tom Brady but who else, when he had Randy Moss in 2007 with Tom Brady, the team nearly went undefeated and won all 16 regular season games. So I wouldn't sleep on him. Browns are a shit show and have no business imposing their ever changing philosophy on anyone.



User avatar
Commish
Veteran
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Contact:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am

dieterbrock wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 am
Commish wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 pm
Cornell29 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 pm


Sam Bradford and Jeff Fisher? He wasnt given much.
Well, actually it was Sam Bradford and Steve Spagnuolo, which was arguably worse.

However, Pat Shurmur had managed considerably better with that same QB/HC combination the year before... :) 8-) :idea:

ram pathos...
Hey, he also had Rodger Saffold
Well, so did Josh McDaniels in 2011, I believe, although perhaps the guy had injury problems that year.

Our team's "O" did lose Steven Jackson and Danny Amendola for much of the season back then, so McDaniels did have some negative issues to deal with... :( :? :ugeek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish


UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Commish wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am

Our team's "O" did lose Steven Jackson and Danny Amendola for much of the season back then, so McDaniels did have some negative issues to deal with... :( :? :ugeek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
I didn't like McDaniels either with Denver or the Rams.

But in terms of injuries in 2011--it was far more than the guys you list.

According to Football Outsiders, that was the single most injured offense in the league since 2002. 3 different qbs got injured, including Clemens, who signed on Dec 7th, started on Dec 18th, and then went out in the final game with an injury.

And that was just the offense. On defense, because of injuries they started 10 different CBs.

After the 2011 season there was a q&a on some board with Demoff. I brought up the injuries. I basically asked, given how bad it got (I mentioned the CBs), did it eventually reach the point where the front office just started thinking it was funny?

He more or less said it was a hard and serious thing to deal with, but, yes, it did get to the point where you had to see the dark humor in it.


....



User avatar
NN1Badboy
Veteran
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:51 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:53 am

unclesams wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:31 am
And rightfully so especially what he did to the Colts last season. I honestly dont think Josh McDaniels is NFL head coach material. Hes already failed miserably once and without Tom Brady running the Patriots offense, the guy would be mediocre at best.
I would agree. Some guys are great coordinators but don’t have the ability to be a good head coach. I think in reality, the jury is still out on McVay. I really hope he is more than just a flash in the pan.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm
Contact:

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 am

I think there's a lot of hate for McDaniels on this board and not a lot of objectivity.

He's not jumping until he feels it's the right situation, because he can stay in place and wait, imo. When you look at what's going on with some of the job positions he did not get/take, you could see why he would not have accepted, if offered. Cleveland is a good example when it comes to power structure.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Cornell29
Veteran
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:56 am
Contact:

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 am

Dick84 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 am
I think there's a lot of hate for McDaniels on this board and not a lot of objectivity.

He's not jumping until he feels it's the right situation, because he can stay in place and wait, imo. When you look at what's going on with some of the job positions he did not get/take, you could see why he would not have accepted, if offered. Cleveland is a good example when it comes to power structure.
This
Last few times he jumped, he had to be Head Coach of a team led by Tim Tebow, and OC of a injured Rams team led by Bradford and under Jeff Fisher.
He may only have one more shot, so why not stay at New England until something great come along.



User avatar
Commish
Veteran
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Contact:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:06 pm

Cornell29 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 am

Last few times he jumped, he had to be Head Coach of a team led by Tim Tebow, and OC of a injured Rams team led by Bradford and under Jeff Fisher.
Our team's head coach back in 2011 was Steve Spagnuolo, not Jeff Fisher.

Ironically, now I'm pulling hard for Spagnuolo to do a great job for the next thirteen days, as the Chiefs' defensive coordinator.

Well, I suppose that's the NFL for you... ;) 8-) :idea:

ram pathos...

--The Commish


UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Cornell29 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 am


Last few times he jumped, he had to be Head Coach of a team led by Tim Tebow, and OC of a injured Rams team led by Bradford and under Jeff Fisher.
He may only have one more shot, so why not stay at New England until something great come along.
McDaniels drafted Tebow. That was his pick. In fact he traded up for him.

When he was OC of the Rams, Spags was the head coach.



Post Reply
Rate this topic
  • Information