Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

HellRam wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:24 pm
ocram23 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 pm
Raminec wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:58 pm

The injury made the contract extension questionable. The Rams paid top dollar for a player who going into 2018 was one of the top offensive players in football. There was subsequent contracts for Running backs that were in the same range- Zeke in Dallas, David Johnson in Arizona, Levon Bell with the Jets. I’m sure Alvin Kamara who is heading into a contract year with New Orleans will be seeking similar compensation. If Gurley had remained healthy his contract was commensurate with his production. He played extremely well for the first 12 games of 2018 and then the injury issues began to show up and then 2019 was a mess. The question will be going forward for all NFL teams whether they want to pay top dollar for a position that has a limited shelf life. Derrick Henry will be seeking a similar type contract with the Titans. He is a force and a big weapon for Tennessee but he’s also 8 months older than Gurley and is seeking a contract value at minimum of 90 million dollars ( similar to Zeke Elliot) as the floor. He’s a great player but just one injury away from being in the same shape as Todd Gurley.
remember they signed him 1 year earlier. they did not have to give him that massive contract.
For me it's so much that they payed him early. Even though that is part of the reason why it was a bad deal. Where the Rams messed up was with how much they payed him. It was one thing to make Gurley the highest paid back. But the Rams way over set the market. Even the elite backs after Todd did not get paid as much. Gurley has also been mostly dependent on good blocking to be truly effective. Nice gesture by the Rams but they are paying for it now.
I agree but nobody in the NFL except the rams signs a RB, of all positions, a year before they had to. Just foolish by Snead.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pm
brasilrams wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:27 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:17 pm
Rams are not cutting him so unless they can find someone so desperate to take on that contract.............

Niners showed you can get a RB off of the streets and then watch him run for plus 20O yards in a championship game. So why trade and give up draft capital and then on top of that pay Gurley. Need a back that bad there will be plenty in the draft.

A whole hell of a lot of nothing IMO. Gurley will be a Ram for another year. Continuous unrealistic wishful thinking by this fan base.
you can run for 200 with a bum if you have an o line filled with fist rounders and top players , we don't . We have old man whit and a bunch of nobodies , that played like utter shit last year. We need a back that can create his own holes like henry or josh jacobs . It is gonna be funny if they find a way to trade gurley . :D
Understood to a certain point. Again the topic is some thinking that McVay and him meeting means the Rams may trade him and more importantly will find a taker. I will be shocked if they find a trade partner for him.

Niners OL? Yes no argument on McGlinchey. But Staley was drafted 13 years ago and has been more “old man” than Whit has the last two years. Tomlinson was obtained for a 5th round pick because he was a bust in Detroit and was the same for the Niners until this year. In fact he was so good with the Niners they declined his 5th year option and let him walk so they could sign him for less $. And no one else showed much interest in him. Person what a 7th round pick that they got rid of and then picked back up years later. And finally yes Richburg was an expensive FA signing but was the wrath of the fan base up here in 2018 because of how poorly he was playing. And he got hurt in week 14 this year and didn’t even play in the NFC Championship game. He was replaced by a undrafted Ben Garland who had a whopping 7 NFL starts prior to this year that spanned back to 2010.

Point is stating their OL was filled this year with first rounders and top players is inaccurate. They caught lightning in the bottle this year with that group which defines damn lucky.
You are right. I though they had more first rounders but they don't. Like you said, it was more luck and chemistry than talent. I was just trying to say that you don't need a super expensive, super star running back when you have an effective o line. With a solid o line basically any back can look good that is why I think that over paying running backs is a mistake. Most of them ( with a few exceptions) will go as far as the o line goes.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 pm

ocram23 wrote:
HellRam wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 pm

remember they signed him 1 year earlier. they did not have to give him that massive contract.
For me it's so much that they payed him early. Even though that is part of the reason why it was a bad deal. Where the Rams messed up was with how much they payed him. It was one thing to make Gurley the highest paid back. But the Rams way over set the market. Even the elite backs after Todd did not get paid as much. Gurley has also been mostly dependent on good blocking to be truly effective. Nice gesture by the Rams but they are paying for it now.
I agree but nobody in the NFL except the rams signs a RB, of all positions, a year before they had to. Just foolish by Snead.
Exactly.

Safety Blitz
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 am

Dump him.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Rammer
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:45 am

brasilrams wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
HellRam wrote:

Exactly.
Although this trend has reversed some in recent years, this is a reminder why running backs are not drafted so high. .. Regarding the contract extension and Snead, in hindsight it looks foolish but nobody complained about it at the time. Universally praised. It was a calculated risk and it didn't work. I am going to judge Snead/McVay by how they handle this now.

toast49
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:13 am

Could be talking trade possibilities with him as well as if he'd accept a lesser role in the offense with Hendo probably ready to carry a big load this season.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:40 am

Rammer wrote:
brasilrams wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Exactly.
Although this trend has reversed some in recent years, this is a reminder why running backs are not drafted so high. .. Regarding the contract extension and Snead, in hindsight it looks foolish but nobody complained about it at the time. Universally praised. It was a calculated risk and it didn't work. I am going to judge Snead/McVay by how they handle this now.
This^

It’s easy to complain about it now but as rammer indicates we all know why they did it. Gurley was the best back in the league at the time of the extension and it was simply to get the back locked up long term. Wish more would acknowledge such instead of acting they were so entirely against it when the extension was done because most was fine with it.

Mistake............ Move on!

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am

NorCal RF wrote:
Rammer wrote:
brasilrams wrote:

Exactly.
This^

It’s easy to complain about it now but as rammer indicates we all know why they did it. Gurley was the best back in the league at the time of the extension and it was simply to get the back locked up long term. Wish more would acknowledge such instead of acting they were so entirely against it when the extension was done because most was fine with it.

I don't disagree with the signing I disagree with the timing of the signing, 1 year prior.

NorCal RF
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am

@oc

Understood and valid. But if he would have continue that trend that year in question and had another elite season that cost in all likelihood goes up more. Simply a damn if you do damn if you don’t situation.

49RH8R
Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 pm

who's to say they weren't meeting to discuss how he was used last year and how he can best be used next year? get o'connell involved and bring him back to his MVP type season he had in 2018. i saw no injury concerns this year, just fewer running lanes. fix the OL and you will fix gurley. he's not getting traded.

Idaho_Ram
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:17 am

Well, one way or another I'm glad they are meeting. Very sick of the mystery and rift that has been sensed between McVay and Gurley. Stay or go I hope there is less bullet dodging in press conferences and a more healthy morale in the Rams backfield in 2020. It was a cloud over the 2018 post-season and all of 2019. I'm done with it.

UplandRam
Site Admin

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 am

I think TD is going to stay a Ram and have a big year. I remember Adrian Peterson having the same issues. He bounced back big time. If you notice, TD still had 14 TD’s last year. The OL was a mess for 3/4 of the season. Henderson didn’t look good either nor did Brown. I don’t like the contract he is playing under but it is what it is. Getting a fullback involved is going to happen and we will see a different TG in 2020.

zackn
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 am

UplandRam wrote:
I think TD is going to stay a Ram and have a big year. I remember Adrian Peterson having the same issues. He bounced back big time. If you notice, TD still had 14 TD’s last year. The OL was a mess for 3/4 of the season. Henderson didn’t look good either nor did Brown. I don’t like the contract he is playing under but it is what it is. Getting a fullback involved is going to happen and we will see a different TD in 2020.
I don't think Peterson had a chronic arthritic knee condition.

And yeah TG is fierce in the redzone, he still has a lot of value.

Henderson? I just think he had rookie playbook issues.

Commish
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 am

NorCal RF wrote:

Agreed--the price (salary) for an All-Pro franchise RB was only going to be higher a year later, after all.

It was basically just bad luck for 2019, however it could still work out decently in the long run--we'll have to see how Todd Gurley performs for our team this coming season, presumably with better run-blocking and modifications in the Rams' offensive strategy... ;) 8-) :geek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:12 pm

zackn wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 am
UplandRam wrote:
I think TD is going to stay a Ram and have a big year. I remember Adrian Peterson having the same issues. He bounced back big time. If you notice, TD still had 14 TD’s last year. The OL was a mess for 3/4 of the season. Henderson didn’t look good either nor did Brown. I don’t like the contract he is playing under but it is what it is. Getting a fullback involved is going to happen and we will see a different TD in 2020.
I don't think Peterson had a chronic arthritic knee condition.

And yeah TG is fierce in the redzone, he still has a lot of value.

Henderson? I just think he had rookie playbook issues.
Agree about Henderson I think he will have a big year next year.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Henderson looked better than Gurley in the few chances they gave him. Imo.

zackn
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:32 pm

brasilrams wrote:
They both had 3.8 per carry though Henderson had zero TDs. DH had 2 carries inside the redzone for 4 yards and of course zero TDs. Gurley had 51 carries inside the redzone for 139 yards and 12 TDs. He also had 3 receptions inside the RZ for 2 more TDs.

MissouriRamsFan
Starter

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:39 pm

brasilrams wrote:
Lol. He did not look better than Gurley. Stop it. Gurleys production was pretty solid despite not having a thousand yards which people cream their pants over. Dude had how many touchdowns last year compared to Gurley? Thank you. Please remain seated.

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:30 pm

brasilrams wrote:
I would actually agree here. Especially considering the fact Henderson got most of his carries when the oline was at it's worse. The line improved slightly as the season went on but we didn't see much Henderson. He also looked really good in the passing game but saw very few opportunities there.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 pm

MissouriRamsFan wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:39 pm
brasilrams wrote:
Lol. He did not look better than Gurley. Stop it. Gurleys production was pretty solid despite not having a thousand yards which people cream their pants over. Dude had how many touchdowns last year compared to Gurley? Thank you. Please remain seated.
Yeah 3.8 yards a pop is pretty solid for sure.

And What?? Do you wanna compare tds? Are you that dumb? Gurley carried the ball 51 times inside the end zone that means 51 chances to score a td. Henderson carried the ball 2 times inside the end zone That means TWO chances to score a td. Tell me you can't be that stupid to make that comparison. Oh wait....you are.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:53 pm

zackn wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:32 pm
brasilrams wrote:
They both had 3.8 per carry though Henderson had zero TDs. DH had 2 carries inside the redzone for 4 yards and of course zero TDs. Gurley had 51 carries inside the redzone for 139 yards and 12 TDs. He also had 3 receptions inside the RZ for 2 more TDs.
Really?

51 carries = 51 chances to score
2 carries = 2 chances to score.

Do I need to say more?

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:54 pm

HellRam wrote:
brasilrams wrote:
I would actually agree here. Especially considering the fact Henderson got most of his carries when the oline was at it's worse. The line improved slightly as the season went on but we didn't see much Henderson. He also looked really good in the passing game but saw very few opportunities there.
Exactly.

Idaho_Ram
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 pm

brasilrams wrote:
HellRam wrote:
brasilrams wrote:
Exactly.
I agree here too. He showed some burst and elusiveness in that first Niner game that was tantalizing. And then he started running before he caught the pitch in the 3rd Q...

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 pm
brasilrams wrote:
HellRam wrote:

Exactly.
I agree here too. He showed some burst and elusiveness in that first Niner game that was tantalizing. And then he started running before he caught the pitch in the 3rd Q...
I watched that game with my Niner buddies. Even they were like Henderson looks good. They're hoping we dont get him some blocking. Keep in mind Whiner fans don't like to give credit.

zackn
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:40 pm

brasilrams wrote:

Do I need to say more?

No that's okay I will say it.

2 touches in the RZ = lack of confidence in him producing there.

54 touches in the RZ = a lot of confidence in him producing there...and he came through too (26% TDs).

If as you say DH was a better back last year how come the coaches didn't notice?

My bet is as they grow more confident in him, his chances will increase in the RZ.

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:45 pm

zackn wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:40 pm
brasilrams wrote:

Do I need to say more?

No that's okay I will say it.

2 touches in the RZ = lack of confidence in him producing there.

54 touches in the RZ = a lot of confidence in him producing there...and he came through too (26% TDs).

If as you say DH was a better back last year how come the coaches didn't notice?

My bet is as they grow more confident in him, his chances will increase in the RZ.
Personally one aspect of McVays coaching I have not been overly impressed with is his use of personnel at times. Higbee is a excellent example. Was Higbee not a good player to start the season or did he not get the opportunity to perform? Because once they used him his production exploded.

Rate this topic
  • Information