Gurley , About to be traded

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 am

Latest post of the previous page:

ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:49 am
[
agree. TG is not going to take a pay cut so anyone thinking that needs to get a reality check. The fact that all this speculation is out there tells me someone within the Rams organization leaked something. I think it is obvious the Rams would love to get out of this contract but it ain't happening any time soon.
I doubt anyone leaked anything. Especially to Florio. I think what we're seeing is just rampant speculation, period.



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3988
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am

zackn wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 am
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:49 am
[
agree. TG is not going to take a pay cut so anyone thinking that needs to get a reality check. The fact that all this speculation is out there tells me someone within the Rams organization leaked something. I think it is obvious the Rams would love to get out of this contract but it ain't happening any time soon.
I doubt anyone leaked anything. Especially to Florio. I think what we're seeing is just rampant speculation, period.
I think it is pretty clear within the Rams organization that they would love to get out of this contract. they are saying all the right things but there is just way too much smoke on this topic. with that being said TG is going anywhere and they need to figure out how to get more production from him and more importantly put him in situations where he has a higher % of succeeding.



NorCal RF
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am

ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am
zackn wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 am
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:49 am
[
agree. TG is not going to take a pay cut so anyone thinking that needs to get a reality check. The fact that all this speculation is out there tells me someone within the Rams organization leaked something. I think it is obvious the Rams would love to get out of this contract but it ain't happening any time soon.
I doubt anyone leaked anything. Especially to Florio. I think what we're seeing is just rampant speculation, period.
I think it is pretty clear within the Rams organization that they would love to get out of this contract. they are saying all the right things but there is just way too much smoke on this topic. with that being said TG is going anywhere and they need to figure out how to get more production from him and more importantly put him in situations where he has a higher % of succeeding.
Pretty clear? I’m not sure I would go that far oc. But yes I think it’s easy to assume if they had to do it over again they would. But like you, zackn, and I have said they are not for the upcoming season moving that contract, it’s ridiculous to think he is going to take a pay cut, and you absolutely don’t restructure it, so we look at the positives on the field that he still has to offer and focus on that. What I do know is the Ram’s brass will handle the entire situation with professionalism because well Gurley deserves no less.

Florio and La Canfora again are about throwing crap after crap out there with the hope that they may be right once or twice. We has fans who follow this crap should know what those two are about.



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 am

ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am
zackn wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 am
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:49 am
[
agree. TG is not going to take a pay cut so anyone thinking that needs to get a reality check. The fact that all this speculation is out there tells me someone within the Rams organization leaked something. I think it is obvious the Rams would love to get out of this contract but it ain't happening any time soon.
I doubt anyone leaked anything. Especially to Florio. I think what we're seeing is just rampant speculation, period.
I think it is pretty clear within the Rams organization that they would love to get out of this contract. they are saying all the right things but there is just way too much smoke on this topic. with that being said TG is going anywhere and they need to figure out how to get more production from him and more importantly put him in situations where he has a higher % of succeeding.
But they know better than we do that they CAN'T get out of that contract, so what would all the smoke be about exactly? There's not going to be a trade, right? Unless the Rams pay someone a high pick to take the cap burden from them---and then they're down both a high draft pick AND a running back. They can't cut him before 2021 without taking a big cap hit. No player just gives back money--they would know that too (or it's so rare it's hardly worth mentioning).

So what "smoke"? If we know they can't do anything, so do they.

There is no smoke that I see. Just reporters going nuts speculating about a meeting.

....



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3988
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:05 pm

zackn wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 am
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am
zackn wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 am


I doubt anyone leaked anything. Especially to Florio. I think what we're seeing is just rampant speculation, period.
I think it is pretty clear within the Rams organization that they would love to get out of this contract. they are saying all the right things but there is just way too much smoke on this topic. with that being said TG is going anywhere and they need to figure out how to get more production from him and more importantly put him in situations where he has a higher % of succeeding.
But they know better than we do that they CAN'T get out of that contract, so what would all the smoke be about exactly? There's not going to be a trade, right? Unless the Rams pay someone a high pick to take the cap burden from them---and then they're down both a high draft pick AND a running back. They can't cut him before 2021 without taking a big cap hit. No player just gives back money--they would know that too (or it's so rare it's hardly worth mentioning).

So what "smoke"? If we know they can't do anything, so do they.

There is no smoke that I see. Just reporters going nuts speculating about a meeting.

....
I just think because so many people are talking about this maybe there is something to it. He isn't going anywhere I know that. His contract is a deal stopper.



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3988
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am
zackn wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 am


I doubt anyone leaked anything. Especially to Florio. I think what we're seeing is just rampant speculation, period.
I think it is pretty clear within the Rams organization that they would love to get out of this contract. they are saying all the right things but there is just way too much smoke on this topic. with that being said TG is going anywhere and they need to figure out how to get more production from him and more importantly put him in situations where he has a higher % of succeeding.
Pretty clear? I’m not sure I would go that far oc. But yes I think it’s easy to assume if they had to do it over again they would. But like you, zackn, and I have said they are not for the upcoming season moving that contract, it’s ridiculous to think he is going to take a pay cut, and you absolutely don’t restructure it, so we look at the positives on the field that he still has to offer and focus on that. What I do know is the Ram’s brass will handle the entire situation with professionalism because well Gurley deserves no less.

Florio and La Canfora again are about throwing crap after crap out there with the hope that they may be right once or twice. We has fans who follow this crap should know what those two are about.
I agree TG isn't going anywhere. But I don't think there is any question they would love to have his contract off the books and move forward without him. I know this is just me talking but anyone who has seen TG play last year knows he doesn't have that next gear like he used to. His knee is shot. Sure he can still be effective with the right play calling but the days of him dominating are over. I think we all need to understand that.



NorCal RF
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm

ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am


I think it is pretty clear within the Rams organization that they would love to get out of this contract. they are saying all the right things but there is just way too much smoke on this topic. with that being said TG is going anywhere and they need to figure out how to get more production from him and more importantly put him in situations where he has a higher % of succeeding.
Pretty clear? I’m not sure I would go that far oc. But yes I think it’s easy to assume if they had to do it over again they would. But like you, zackn, and I have said they are not for the upcoming season moving that contract, it’s ridiculous to think he is going to take a pay cut, and you absolutely don’t restructure it, so we look at the positives on the field that he still has to offer and focus on that. What I do know is the Ram’s brass will handle the entire situation with professionalism because well Gurley deserves no less.

Florio and La Canfora again are about throwing crap after crap out there with the hope that they may be right once or twice. We has fans who follow this crap should know what those two are about.
I agree TG isn't going anywhere. But I don't think there is any question they would love to have his contract off the books and move forward without him. I know this is just me talking but anyone who has seen TG play last year knows he doesn't have that next gear like he used to. His knee is shot. Sure he can still be effective with the right play calling but the days of him dominating are over. I think we all need to understand that.
I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.



brasilrams
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am


Pretty clear? I’m not sure I would go that far oc. But yes I think it’s easy to assume if they had to do it over again they would. But like you, zackn, and I have said they are not for the upcoming season moving that contract, it’s ridiculous to think he is going to take a pay cut, and you absolutely don’t restructure it, so we look at the positives on the field that he still has to offer and focus on that. What I do know is the Ram’s brass will handle the entire situation with professionalism because well Gurley deserves no less.

Florio and La Canfora again are about throwing crap after crap out there with the hope that they may be right once or twice. We has fans who follow this crap should know what those two are about.
I agree TG isn't going anywhere. But I don't think there is any question they would love to have his contract off the books and move forward without him. I know this is just me talking but anyone who has seen TG play last year knows he doesn't have that next gear like he used to. His knee is shot. Sure he can still be effective with the right play calling but the days of him dominating are over. I think we all need to understand that.
I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
1.100 really bad when compared to 1.800-2200 which is what he used to do. He is an average back Now making top money. The rams could not predict he would get arthritis in the knee just like 1 year after signing his New massive contract . Even so, right now, it is horrible because he is eating all that cap and he can't just dominate the game and take over like he used to. No matter how you look at This, this is not an ideal situation. too bad the rams can't move from him. Players complain too much (And Gurley is the activist kapernick type which is pathetic) . but in the end they hold the teams hostage more than the other way around. A player signs a massive deal and if for some reason he can't perform up to expectations ( injurie or something else) the team can't cut him because of cap ramifications. This is stupid. The rams would love to cut Gurley and save all that cap, sign a guy that can produce the same( or even better) for half of what they are paying Gurley. But...they can't. As a fan I want the best for the team not for a specific player. As a fan I would like to see Gurley gone because his production doesn't meet the amount of cap space he eats. Simply as that. If the team could cut him, they would sign a back that costs half to produce the same and with the money left they could strengthen other areas like the much needed o line and d line. We are SOFT in the trenches and that is why we lost too many games last year.



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3988
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm

brasilrams wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm


I agree TG isn't going anywhere. But I don't think there is any question they would love to have his contract off the books and move forward without him. I know this is just me talking but anyone who has seen TG play last year knows he doesn't have that next gear like he used to. His knee is shot. Sure he can still be effective with the right play calling but the days of him dominating are over. I think we all need to understand that.
I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
1.100 really bad when compared to 1.800-2200 which is what he used to do. He is an average back Now making top money. The rams could not predict he would get arthritis in the knee just like 1 year after signing his New massive contract . Even so, right now, it is horrible because he is eating all that cap and he can't just dominate the game and take over like he used to. No matter how you look at This, this is not an ideal situation. too bad the rams can't move from him. Players complain too much (And Gurley is the activist kapernick type which is pathetic) . but in the end they hold the teams hostage more than the other way around. A player signs a massive deal and if for some reason he can't perform up to expectations ( injurie or something else) the team can't cut him because of cap ramifications. This is stupid. The rams would love to cut Gurley and save all that cap, sign a guy that can produce the same( or even better) for half of what they are paying Gurley. But...they can't. As a fan I want the best for the team not for a specific player. As a fan I would like to see Gurley gone because his production doesn't meet the amount of cap space he eats. Simply as that. If the team could cut him, they would sign a back that costs half to produce the same and with the money left they could strengthen other areas like the much needed o line and d line. We are SOFT in the trenches and that is why we lost too many games last year.
well said I agree with most of what you said. I do believe the Rams wish they could cut ties with TG and his contract. I do also think he can still be an effective back for the Rams. That is going to be on McVay. Again this is on Snead he signed him 1 year too early. Also we are way soft in the trenches. Living in So Cal I get to watch the post game show and Jackie Slater is always on there going after the O line and how soft they are. We need some maulers aka Quenton Nelson type players. Hopefully in FA and the draft Snead can make that happen.



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3988
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am


Pretty clear? I’m not sure I would go that far oc. But yes I think it’s easy to assume if they had to do it over again they would. But like you, zackn, and I have said they are not for the upcoming season moving that contract, it’s ridiculous to think he is going to take a pay cut, and you absolutely don’t restructure it, so we look at the positives on the field that he still has to offer and focus on that. What I do know is the Ram’s brass will handle the entire situation with professionalism because well Gurley deserves no less.

Florio and La Canfora again are about throwing crap after crap out there with the hope that they may be right once or twice. We has fans who follow this crap should know what those two are about.
I agree TG isn't going anywhere. But I don't think there is any question they would love to have his contract off the books and move forward without him. I know this is just me talking but anyone who has seen TG play last year knows he doesn't have that next gear like he used to. His knee is shot. Sure he can still be effective with the right play calling but the days of him dominating are over. I think we all need to understand that.
I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
agree



NorCal RF
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:19 pm

brasilrams wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm
ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm


I agree TG isn't going anywhere. But I don't think there is any question they would love to have his contract off the books and move forward without him. I know this is just me talking but anyone who has seen TG play last year knows he doesn't have that next gear like he used to. His knee is shot. Sure he can still be effective with the right play calling but the days of him dominating are over. I think we all need to understand that.
I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
1.100 really bad when compared to 1.800-2200 which is what he used to do. He is an average back Now making top money. The rams could not predict he would get arthritis in the knee just like 1 year after signing his New massive contract . Even so, right now, it is horrible because he is eating all that cap and he can't just dominate the game and take over like he used to. No matter how you look at This, this is not an ideal situation. too bad the rams can't move from him. Players complain too much (And Gurley is the activist kapernick type which is pathetic) . but in the end they hold the teams hostage more than the other way around. A player signs a massive deal and if for some reason he can't perform up to expectations ( injurie or something else) the team can't cut him because of cap ramifications. This is stupid. The rams would love to cut Gurley and save all that cap, sign a guy that can produce the same( or even better) for half of what they are paying Gurley. But...they can't. As a fan I want the best for the team not for a specific player. As a fan I would like to see Gurley gone because his production doesn't meet the amount of cap space he eats. Simply as that. If the team could cut him, they would sign a back that costs half to produce the same and with the money left they could strengthen other areas like the much needed o line and d line. We are SOFT in the trenches and that is why we lost too many games last year.
I responded to oc saying the knee was shot in his opinion. You are adding way more than what the conversation is between him and I.

When the hell has Gurley complained? If we want to turn the page on our history then stop throwing out such comments.

Why is the NFL cap rules stupid? They are in place so teams have to make sound financial decisions or the league would be like MLB where you just have a few teams each year who have a chance to win a championship. NFL salary cap allows teams like SF to bounce back after a previous poor year. I for one don’t want a league of just the Yankees, Dodgers, and a few others and then everyone else whose season is over by November 1st.

You have no idea if the Rams would love to cut Gurley. Again only your opinion that again you are entitled to but let’s not make it sound like you know something and the rest of us don’t.



49RH8R
Veteran
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am
Location: California
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm

fix the OL and you fix gurley. that in turn will help goff and the whole offense. expect a lot of activity around the OL in the coming months.



brasilrams
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:19 pm
brasilrams wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm


I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
1.100 really bad when compared to 1.800-2200 which is what he used to do. He is an average back Now making top money. The rams could not predict he would get arthritis in the knee just like 1 year after signing his New massive contract . Even so, right now, it is horrible because he is eating all that cap and he can't just dominate the game and take over like he used to. No matter how you look at This, this is not an ideal situation. too bad the rams can't move from him. Players complain too much (And Gurley is the activist kapernick type which is pathetic) . but in the end they hold the teams hostage more than the other way around. A player signs a massive deal and if for some reason he can't perform up to expectations ( injurie or something else) the team can't cut him because of cap ramifications. This is stupid. The rams would love to cut Gurley and save all that cap, sign a guy that can produce the same( or even better) for half of what they are paying Gurley. But...they can't. As a fan I want the best for the team not for a specific player. As a fan I would like to see Gurley gone because his production doesn't meet the amount of cap space he eats. Simply as that. If the team could cut him, they would sign a back that costs half to produce the same and with the money left they could strengthen other areas like the much needed o line and d line. We are SOFT in the trenches and that is why we lost too many games last year.
I responded to oc saying the knee was shot in his opinion. You are adding way more than what the conversation is between him and I.

When the hell has Gurley complained? If we want to turn the page on our history then stop throwing out such comments.

Why is the NFL cap rules stupid? They are in place so teams have to make sound financial decisions or the league would be like MLB where you just have a few teams each year who have a chance to win a championship. NFL salary cap allows teams like SF to bounce back after a previous poor year. I for one don’t want a league of just the Yankees, Dodgers, and a few others and then everyone else whose season is over by November 1st.

You have no idea if the Rams would love to cut Gurley. Again only your opinion that again you are entitled to but let’s not make it sound like you know something and the rest of us don’t.
I will throw out any comments I feel like whenever I feel like, it is not gonna be you or anyone else to tell me to stop throwing out comments this way or that way. Get real. and if you want to go back to your old ways of replying with an atitude, well, you know what follows next. Up to you. I am keeping this civilized.

He complained here : https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/syndica ... ts.amp.htm.

He also complained about Thursday night games saying that they are the dumbest thing ever and he also complained saying the league is not fair to players in a show that I don't remember which was. So yeah he complains. Complains about making millions. He is a dumb idiot that doesn't play with intensity anymore and just plays like he doesn't give a damn. and I hope the rams find a way to trade him. Although I know with his DUMB contract it will be tough. And yes, the rules are stupid because you can't cut a player without cap ramifications. So in a case like this the team is held hostage and I don't like it. If you do......that is your problem.

Oh and yes anyone ( apparently anyone but you) can see that it is pretty obvious that if they COULD the rams would cut him or trade him. Simply because his production doesn't meet his salary and cap space. You don't really have to have any kind of inside info to realize the obvious stuff, sorry.



brasilrams
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 pm
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:42 pm

ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm
brasilrams wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm


I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
1.100 really bad when compared to 1.800-2200 which is what he used to do. He is an average back Now making top money. The rams could not predict he would get arthritis in the knee just like 1 year after signing his New massive contract . Even so, right now, it is horrible because he is eating all that cap and he can't just dominate the game and take over like he used to. No matter how you look at This, this is not an ideal situation. too bad the rams can't move from him. Players complain too much (And Gurley is the activist kapernick type which is pathetic) . but in the end they hold the teams hostage more than the other way around. A player signs a massive deal and if for some reason he can't perform up to expectations ( injurie or something else) the team can't cut him because of cap ramifications. This is stupid. The rams would love to cut Gurley and save all that cap, sign a guy that can produce the same( or even better) for half of what they are paying Gurley. But...they can't. As a fan I want the best for the team not for a specific player. As a fan I would like to see Gurley gone because his production doesn't meet the amount of cap space he eats. Simply as that. If the team could cut him, they would sign a back that costs half to produce the same and with the money left they could strengthen other areas like the much needed o line and d line. We are SOFT in the trenches and that is why we lost too many games last year.
well said I agree with most of what you said. I do believe the Rams wish they could cut ties with TG and his contract. I do also think he can still be an effective back for the Rams. That is going to be on McVay. Again this is on Snead he signed him 1 year too early. Also we are way soft in the trenches. Living in So Cal I get to watch the post game show and Jackie Slater is always on there going after the O line and how soft they are. We need some maulers aka Quenton Nelson type players. Hopefully in FA and the draft Snead can make that happen.
of course they would , they are overpaying for an employee . When that happens , you simply fire the guy . But in the NFL you can't because of the cap issues . Anyone with a common sense can see that a team is a company and they don't want to be stuck with a bad deal . gurley is a bad DEAL a really BAD one , because of his injurie . Specially in the NFL where cap is limited and you need to pay other people to have a competitive team . the Cap allocated to gurley alone could probably be allocated to a back that would produce the same PLUS 1 or 2 top OL men . But , acording to norcal the rams wants to stay with gurley , paying him all that money , letting him eat all that cap space while he falls on the ground even before contact initiates , drop passes all over the field , run lazy routes , and play like the doesn't even care , finish the season with 800 rushing yards and 3.8 a pop . yup , I am sure they are loving it .



User avatar
Commish
Veteran
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Contact:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:19 pm

When the hell has Gurley complained? If we want to turn the page on our history then stop throwing out such comments.

Why is the NFL cap rules stupid? They are in place so teams have to make sound financial decisions or the league would be like MLB where you just have a few teams each year who have a chance to win a championship. NFL salary cap allows teams like SF to bounce back after a previous poor year. I for one don’t want a league of just the Yankees, Dodgers, and a few others and then everyone else whose season is over by November 1st.

You have no idea if the Rams would love to cut Gurley. Again only your opinion that again you are entitled to but let’s not make it sound like you know something and the rest of us don’t.
I'm highly doubtful that our team's front office is spending any time focused on 'counterfactuals' (alternate history) dealing with Todd Gurley's situation, such as what it would do if his contract were different--because in the real NFL world, it's not.

That the Rams have taken a long-term approach to managing the salary cap, hence arguably leaving themselves at a short-term disadvantage in free agency, that's hardly the league's fault.

So how many fans of the Good Guys were complaining about salary-cap issues back in 1999, anyway...??

ram pathos...

--The Commish


UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3988
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:35 am

NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:19 pm
brasilrams wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm


I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
1.100 really bad when compared to 1.800-2200 which is what he used to do. He is an average back Now making top money. The rams could not predict he would get arthritis in the knee just like 1 year after signing his New massive contract . Even so, right now, it is horrible because he is eating all that cap and he can't just dominate the game and take over like he used to. No matter how you look at This, this is not an ideal situation. too bad the rams can't move from him. Players complain too much (And Gurley is the activist kapernick type which is pathetic) . but in the end they hold the teams hostage more than the other way around. A player signs a massive deal and if for some reason he can't perform up to expectations ( injurie or something else) the team can't cut him because of cap ramifications. This is stupid. The rams would love to cut Gurley and save all that cap, sign a guy that can produce the same( or even better) for half of what they are paying Gurley. But...they can't. As a fan I want the best for the team not for a specific player. As a fan I would like to see Gurley gone because his production doesn't meet the amount of cap space he eats. Simply as that. If the team could cut him, they would sign a back that costs half to produce the same and with the money left they could strengthen other areas like the much needed o line and d line. We are SOFT in the trenches and that is why we lost too many games last year.
I responded to oc saying the knee was shot in his opinion. You are adding way more than what the conversation is between him and I.

When the hell has Gurley complained? If we want to turn the page on our history then stop throwing out such comments.

Why is the NFL cap rules stupid? They are in place so teams have to make sound financial decisions or the league would be like MLB where you just have a few teams each year who have a chance to win a championship. NFL salary cap allows teams like SF to bounce back after a previous poor year. I for one don’t want a league of just the Yankees, Dodgers, and a few others and then everyone else whose season is over by November 1st.

You have no idea if the Rams would love to cut Gurley. Again only your opinion that again you are entitled to but let’s not make it sound like you know something and the rest of us don’t.
In my humble option I think the Rams would love to cut him for this simple reason: the ROI isn't there anymore unfortunately. Anyone watching these games can see that. It sucks but again that is why you don't lock up RB's to huge contracts.



toast49
Pro-bowler
Posts: 4024
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am
Contact:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Well the Rams are calling this meeting before Gurley is due his roster bonus. 7 and a half or 8 mil, somewhere in that range. I believe they will ask him to take a pay cut, or restructure at that point. Now Gurley can say no of course. The Rams wouldn't call the meeting unless they were prepared to cut him or trade him if he said no. If they cut him before the roster bonus is due then they don't have to pay him that money, but do have to pay him all his guaranteed monies. Other option is to trade him which would probably require finding a team to do a salary dump type deal and most likely mean they would have to give that team a draft choice, but not necessarily for the 2020 draft. I doubt anyone will trade for him because of the contract which means the most likely scenario is he takes a pay cut or gets released.



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:03 pm

toast49 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm
The Rams wouldn't call the meeting unless they were prepared to cut him or trade him if he said no.
As I understand it, they can't cut him. Before or after the roster bonus. That would put 20.15 M against the cap in dead money, which is nearly 3 M more than keeping him. Again that's with or without the roster bonus (the dead money against the cap would represent the accelerated signing bonus of 12.6 M + 7.55 M in guaranteed salary = 20.15 M. That's without the roster bonus.)

They probably can't trade him, for all the obvious reasons.

They can re-structure him...but that puts more money into future cap years and erases any savings they might get from releasing him in a future year.



toast49
Pro-bowler
Posts: 4024
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am
Contact:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:08 pm

zackn wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:03 pm
toast49 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm
The Rams wouldn't call the meeting unless they were prepared to cut him or trade him if he said no.
As I understand it, they can't cut him. Before or after the roster bonus. That would put 20.15 M against the cap in dead money, which is nearly 3 M more than keeping him. Again that's with or without the roster bonus (the dead money against the cap would represent the accelerated signing bonus of 12.6 M + 7.55 M in guaranteed salary = 20.15 M. That's without the roster bonus.)

They probably can't trade him, for all the obvious reasons.

They can re-structure him...but that puts more money into future cap years and erases any savings they might get from releasing him in a future year.
The front office has already talked to Goff and the restructure is in play, which will create much more cap room for 2020 and allow the team to absorb the big dead money in Gurley's deal. He takes a pay cut or he is gone before they have to pay that roster bonus.



brasilrams
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 pm
Contact:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:17 am

toast49 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:08 pm
zackn wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:03 pm
toast49 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm
The Rams wouldn't call the meeting unless they were prepared to cut him or trade him if he said no.
As I understand it, they can't cut him. Before or after the roster bonus. That would put 20.15 M against the cap in dead money, which is nearly 3 M more than keeping him. Again that's with or without the roster bonus (the dead money against the cap would represent the accelerated signing bonus of 12.6 M + 7.55 M in guaranteed salary = 20.15 M. That's without the roster bonus.)

They probably can't trade him, for all the obvious reasons.

They can re-structure him...but that puts more money into future cap years and erases any savings they might get from releasing him in a future year.
The front office has already talked to Goff and the restructure is in play, which will create much more cap room for 2020 and allow the team to absorb the big dead money in Gurley's deal. He takes a pay cut or he is gone before they have to pay that roster bonus.
If he is smart he will take the pay cut.



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:13 am

toast49 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:08 pm

The front office has already talked to Goff and the restructure is in play, which will create much more cap room for 2020 and allow the team to absorb the big dead money in Gurley's deal. He takes a pay cut or he is gone before they have to pay that roster bonus.
Well I doubt he will be gone. At least, I would be very surprised. Here's the search code for bumping this thread later on, ie. into September: bump123.

We have no reports that the FO actually have talked to Goff about a restructure, though they it is quite possible that they did. It's just that there are no reports they did. The one thing that circulated about this issue said that the Rams COULD re-structure Goff, ie. that it was possible. No one has reported directly that they have in fact done it.



MissouriRamsFan
Starter
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:29 pm
Contact:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:37 am

ocram23 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm
brasilrams wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm


I agree with most other than the knee is shot. He doesn’t put up almost 1100 combined yards and 14 TD’s if it was. He also IMO doesn’t need that next gear to be effective. IMO if his salary isn’t what it is his numbers and effectiveness would be much less a conversation.
1.100 really bad when compared to 1.800-2200 which is what he used to do. He is an average back Now making top money. The rams could not predict he would get arthritis in the knee just like 1 year after signing his New massive contract . Even so, right now, it is horrible because he is eating all that cap and he can't just dominate the game and take over like he used to. No matter how you look at This, this is not an ideal situation. too bad the rams can't move from him. Players complain too much (And Gurley is the activist kapernick type which is pathetic) . but in the end they hold the teams hostage more than the other way around. A player signs a massive deal and if for some reason he can't perform up to expectations ( injurie or something else) the team can't cut him because of cap ramifications. This is stupid. The rams would love to cut Gurley and save all that cap, sign a guy that can produce the same( or even better) for half of what they are paying Gurley. But...they can't. As a fan I want the best for the team not for a specific player. As a fan I would like to see Gurley gone because his production doesn't meet the amount of cap space he eats. Simply as that. If the team could cut him, they would sign a back that costs half to produce the same and with the money left they could strengthen other areas like the much needed o line and d line. We are SOFT in the trenches and that is why we lost too many games last year.
well said I agree with most of what you said. I do believe the Rams wish they could cut ties with TG and his contract. I do also think he can still be an effective back for the Rams. That is going to be on McVay. Again this is on Snead he signed him 1 year too early. Also we are way soft in the trenches. Living in So Cal I get to watch the post game show and Jackie Slater is always on there going after the O line and how soft they are. We need some maulers aka Quenton Nelson type players. Hopefully in FA and the draft Snead can make that happen.
I disagree. His production and his status as a three time probowler in 4 seasons was good enough In the rams eyes to re-sign him him that contract. And I've been a fan of todd Gurley since his georgia days and nothing screams kaepernick activist like.



Slickjack
Veteran
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:46 am
Contact:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:54 am

Gurley has been a very reliable and team player. The past 12 months have been a little different than before seems he "appears" indifferent at times.



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:00 am

Slickjack wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:54 am
Gurley has been a very reliable and team player. The past 12 months have been a little different than before seems he "appears" indifferent at times.
Personally? I don't think he's indifferent. (Though there was a spell where he didn't like doing press conferences.) What I see is this--a combination of OL issues and Gurley just not being the same back he was.

But I don't want to exaggerate the not being the same back thing. He's still a productive back. Not the superstar he was, but still a good NFL back.



Post Reply
Rate this topic
  • Information