Encouraged

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
HellRam
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Reports are the Rams will not be sending coaches to the combine so they can work on "new schemes". This is great news. Both sides of the ball could really use some fresh ideas. Really hoping McVay revamps the offense this year.

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm

And this has to worked on this one particular weekend?

This seems crazy to me.

A Logo Will Not Make A Stop On Third Down. A Logo Will Not Make A Tough Catch Over The Middle.

Smarten Up.

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Nice. Going into the draft with a little less information? How can that be encouraging?

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm

It's the combine guys. It's numbers, not football film. It's not like the scouts are not going to be there.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm

HellRam wrote:
It's the combine guys. It's numbers, not football film. It's not like the scouts are not going to be there.
The coaches will be watching the combine on TV.. breaking down the footage at the offices.. and also be able to see the interviews.

This is an efficiency thing, more than anything else.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Dick84 wrote:
HellRam wrote:
The coaches will be watching the combine on TV.. breaking down the footage at the offices.. and also be able to see the interviews.

That's pretty much my point. Being present at the combine doesn't really change anything.

war room warrior
Veteran

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:36 am

HellRam wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
HellRam wrote:

That's pretty much my point. Being present at the combine doesn't really change anything.
Like I said about the Rams new uni’s, yea will be Blue, White, But; NOT like the old blue & whites, they’ll have some Rams yellow equally as much as the blues and Whites but darker blue. I can see a total different look with all Rams “LA RAM” colors.
So where I’m going with this? Hear me out, A 5 billion dollar stadium, you don’t walk out like you’re from like a black & white TV....
Mcvay IS FAR from being old fashion like a black & white TV.
It’s looking more & more like the way Mcvay approaches preseason games other teams are catching on and more and more teams will play their players less.

Now again Mcvay and Vic “Denver’s coach” looks like another trend will be made if other teams sees this as a Benefit.
I love that Mcvay’ is our coach, Young with young ideas. I TRUELY believe last years mess was due to the confusion of how to use Gurley with no help from the OL.

I’m 61 and one thing I’ve learn in life, your gut doesn’t lie. My gut telling me Mcvay will be even more innovated and will have the Rams OFF. & DEF. better than ever.
Not trying to be a homer, it’s my gut feeling that we'll be totally HAPPY with the play of the Rams this year.
I know I threw a few curses in talking and the uni’s. Just wanted to make a point how I can’t see ANY old fashion by the Rams. It’s like they’re all in on new and modern ways. With Mcvay to ownership. They want a whole new LA RAMS LOOK. From the stadium to Uni’s to tailgate experience...

Let’s all enjoy the next few months on the excitement of the showing of the uni’s the excitement of the final look of the Stadium, and the excitement of our new look Rams OFFENSE & DEFENSE & not that Mcvay is not sending coaches to the combine..... Like Dick84 wrote, it’s not like the scouts are not going.... Trust in Mcvay, we’ll be alright!

Me and 2 other Ram fans from Louisiana WILL be there for the opening game in the new Stadium. Hope to meet some of you.

Love My Rams,
Go Rams 🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 am

Dick84 wrote:
HellRam wrote:

totally agree this is not a big deal at all. Broncos doing the same thing. You will see more teams doing this IMO.

zackn
Veteran

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 am

HellRam wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 pm
Reports are the Rams will not be sending coaches to the combine so they can work on "new schemes". This is great news. Both sides of the ball could really use some fresh ideas. Really hoping McVay revamps the offense this year.
I think it's just the coordinators who are not going. Nothing was said about the position coaches.

The main thing about the combine is not watching the underwear competitions, it's interviewing players. Nothing was said about whether the Rams were scaling that back or not.

Yeah you can skip the workouts. But can you skip the interview process? We don;t know how the Rams are approaching that. If I had to guess I would say that no, they would not scale that back, it's too valuable.

29TheBest
Veteran

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:33 pm

If you think the combine makes a difference, well...……………..

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:25 pm

war room warrior wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:36 am
HellRam wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

Like I said about the Rams new uni’s, yea will be Blue, White, But; NOT like the old blue & whites, they’ll have some Rams yellow equally as much as the blues and Whites but darker blue. I can see a total different look with all Rams “LA RAM” colors.
So where I’m going with this? Hear me out, A 5 billion dollar stadium, you don’t walk out like you’re from like a black & white TV....
Mcvay IS FAR from being old fashion like a black & white TV.
It’s looking more & more like the way Mcvay approaches preseason games other teams are catching on and more and more teams will play their players less.

Now again Mcvay and Vic “Denver’s coach” looks like another trend will be made if other teams sees this as a Benefit.
I love that Mcvay’ is our coach, Young with young ideas. I TRUELY believe last years mess was due to the confusion of how to use Gurley with no help from the OL.

I’m 61 and one thing I’ve learn in life, your gut doesn’t lie. My gut telling me Mcvay will be even more innovated and will have the Rams OFF. & DEF. better than ever.
Not trying to be a homer, it’s my gut feeling that we'll be totally HAPPY with the play of the Rams this year.
I know I threw a few curses in talking and the uni’s. Just wanted to make a point how I can’t see ANY old fashion by the Rams. It’s like they’re all in on new and modern ways. With Mcvay to ownership. They want a whole new LA RAMS LOOK. From the stadium to Uni’s to tailgate experience...

Let’s all enjoy the next few months on the excitement of the showing of the uni’s the excitement of the final look of the Stadium, and the excitement of our new look Rams OFFENSE & DEFENSE & not that Mcvay is not sending coaches to the combine..... Like Dick84 wrote, it’s not like the scouts are not going.... Trust in Mcvay, we’ll be alright!

Me and 2 other Ram fans from Louisiana WILL be there for the opening game in the new Stadium. Hope to meet some of you.

Love My Rams,
Go Rams 🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈
Nice post man. I'm hoping to make it to the new stadium this year too. Do the whole LA thing while I'm down there.

zackn
Veteran

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:48 pm

29TheBest wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:33 pm
If you think the combine makes a difference, well...……………..
I can't tell. Is that a response to my post?

If it is, my post simply makes the point that the Rams interview players at the combine--which is its main use for a team. Bunch of players are there, it's easy and cheap to arrange interviews, and interviews are valuable--an important part of the process.

The Rams are still going to the combine because if nothing else the interviews are important...it's just that this year, the new coordinators aren't going.

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:49 am

The underwear olympics, who cares. How many times have we seen a players draft status move up significantly based on his combine numbers?

I’d be curious to know the percentage of those who actually pan out vs the number of those who flop.

The reality is, that there is plenty of film on most of these guys already. The entire combine is televised so all they have to do is flip on the NFL network.

Let the scouts conduct the personal interviews and let that be that.

Besides we don’t have a first round pick anyway, so our investment isn’t quite the same as it would be if we did. JMO

zackn
Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:20 pm

NN1Badboy wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:49 am
Let the scouts conduct the personal interviews and let that be that.

Besides we don’t have a first round pick anyway, so our investment isn’t quite the same as it would be if we did. JMO
Doesn't work to have scouts do it. The coaches know what kinds of players they're looking for, not just in physical terms but also in terms of mentality, and whether a guy fits into what the team does. They need to assess that first-hand. So they need to do the interviews.

Not having a first round pick means you need to be even more involved in searching for players who can contribute at a high level.

HellRam
Pro-bowler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:32 pm

This thread has turned into a combine thread. My premise to this post was more about the Rams appearing to make major changes to their schemes and ect. Which is why I was encouraged.

UplandRam
Site Admin

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:37 pm

The combine is good for testing metrics, but not great in testing if the guy can play football. All of us have seen guys put up great measurables at the combine, boost their draft stock, then totally flop in the NFL. Game film is more important. Plus, this new staff needs to concentrate on creating a cohesive overall plan for the 2020 season. Wiser to spend the time and energy on that.

Rate this topic
  • Information