The Todd Gurley Blues

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
ArkyRamsFan
Bench Warmer

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 pm

Alright, I've let some time pass before commenting but there's some stuff I need to say on this sordid affair.

Look, I get that the cap played a significant role in Mr. Gurley being released but I am very disappointed that Coach Mac and crew didn't give him an opportunity to work with our new OC K. McConnell and our new RB coach (forgot his name.....)

There's not a doubt in my mind that McVay needed an OC last year and the declining offensive production is far more a result of that than any decline in T Gurley's performance.
I had big hopes that Coach McConnell could scheme Todd more effectively and keep McVay more balanced in the play calling. I was really hoping that our new OC/RB coach could carve out a significant role for both Todd Gurley and Darryl Henderson. I liked to idea of a two-headed RB monster to smash defenses with.

I was hoping that Sean's increased use of the 12 formation and of Tyler Higbee would actually help Gurley to elevate his game as the extra TE would be a more effective blocker in the run game.

I think the major cause of TG's decline last year falls squarely on the shoulders of Sean McVay. He never figured out what role Gurley was to play. He had him in games and then just used him as a decoy or to block. As if somehow those actions wouldn't cause wear and tear and stress on his knee. Isn't blocking 240 lb linebackers as stressful as running with the ball? I don't get that at all. Many say that Todd had an attitude problem but with no clear role in the offense he used to own and a wishy- washy HC who wouldn't make any firm commitment to him I can't say I blame him to tell ya'll the truth.

Then to make matters worse McVay channeled his inner Mike Martz and became pass-happy and made the entire offense predictable and much easier to defend. Heck, he didn't even incorporate Todd in the passing game. Whatever happened to those devastating screen passes and passes to Gurley in the flat and whatnot?

At any rate I could go on and on but suffice to say it's not accurate to use numbers as the sole criteria for TG's decline. It's not accurate because he was not given enough of an opportunity to prove he could still perform at a high level. Maybe not the Todd Gurley of a few years ago but I am certain that a Todd Gurley at 75% is still a force to be reckoned with.

Well I'm done for now. No doubt a lot of fellow Rams fans will tell me to get over it and move on because that's the way it is. And there's a level of truth to that....but I can't help thinking about what could have been.
I keep thinking that we let Todd Gurley go one year too early.
One year that could have proven once and for all what he had left to give to the Rams.
And now we'll never know.....

Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~

UplandRam
Site Admin

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 pm

Given the current state of affairs, he may not even play a single down with the Falcions. It’s anyone’s guess at this point.

toast49
Pro-bowler

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Not to offend anyone, but Gurley was a great back in the 2017 season. Terrible in the Falcon playoff game. Great for 2/3 of 2018 then nothing. He was good , but didn't always give 100 percent. See 2016

Truth
Rookie

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Better to let a guy go 1 year too early, than 1 year too late. I think when the Rams got CJ Anderson off the street and didn't miss a beat, that they realized Gurley wasn't enough of a difference maker to justify paying his salary.

49RH8R
Starter

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 pm

ArkyRamsFan wrote:
Alright, I've let some time pass before commenting but there's some stuff I need to say on this sordid affair.

Look, I get that the cap played a significant role in Mr. Gurley being released but I am very disappointed that Coach Mac and crew didn't give him an opportunity to work with our new OC K. McConnell and our new RB coach (forgot his name.....)

There's not a doubt in my mind that McVay needed an OC last year and the declining offensive production is far more a result of that than any decline in T Gurley's performance.
I had big hopes that Coach McConnell could scheme Todd more effectively and keep McVay more balanced in the play calling. I was really hoping that our new OC/RB coach could carve out a significant role for both Todd Gurley and Darryl Henderson. I liked to idea of a two-headed RB monster to smash defenses with.

I was hoping that Sean's increased use of the 12 formation and of Tyler Higbee would actually help Gurley to elevate his game as the extra TE would be a more effective blocker in the run game.

I think the major cause of TG's decline last year falls squarely on the shoulders of Sean McVay. He never figured out what role Gurley was to play. He had him in games and then just used him as a decoy or to block. As if somehow those actions wouldn't cause wear and tear and stress on his knee. Isn't blocking 240 lb linebackers as stressful as running with the ball? I don't get that at all. Many say that Todd had an attitude problem but with no clear role in the offense he used to own and a wishy- washy HC who wouldn't make any firm commitment to him I can't say I blame him to tell ya'll the truth.

Then to make matters worse McVay channeled his inner Mike Martz and became pass-happy and made the entire offense predictable and much easier to defend. Heck, he didn't even incorporate Todd in the passing game. Whatever happened to those devastating screen passes and passes to Gurley in the flat and whatnot?

At any rate I could go on and on but suffice to say it's not accurate to use numbers as the sole criteria for TG's decline. It's not accurate because he was not given enough of an opportunity to prove he could still perform at a high level. Maybe not the Todd Gurley of a few years ago but I am certain that a Todd Gurley at 75% is still a force to be reckoned with.

Well I'm done for now. No doubt a lot of fellow Rams fans will tell me to get over it and move on because that's the way it is. And there's a level of truth to that....but I can't help thinking about what could have been.
One year that could have proven once and for all what he had left to give to the Rams.

Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~
imho, i was really hoping they would emphasize the OL this offseason which would have helped both goff and gurley. running behind a revamped OL would have helped him earn his salary and given us another year to absorb his signing bonus. if he had another down year then fine, move on. this leads me to believe there was more going on behind the scenes with mcvay and the coaching staff. was it a "WE NOT ME" thing?

Commish
Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 am

ArkyRamsFan wrote:

Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~
Agreed 100%!

I'm certainly hoping that our team simply releasing Todd Gurley wasn't a terrific miscalculation, however I'm highly suspicious that it will turn out that way... :( :? :cry:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

RamPower
Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 am

I think most can agree that the Gurley sideshow was odd at best. I think TG was one of the all-time best Rams at his peak, but it was very possibly time for the whole distraction to move on.

Was his attitude a deciding problem? Hard to say. His health? Easier to say. His contract? The thought of the 2020 season being a wash regardless? Whatever, again, I became pretty tired of the whole what's up with Gurley's playing time thing...

armyram
Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 am

Truth wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:40 pm
Better to let a guy go 1 year too early, than 1 year too late. I think when the Rams got CJ Anderson off the street and didn't miss a beat, that they realized Gurley wasn't enough of a difference maker to justify paying his salary.
We are still paying majority of his salary as he plays with the Falcons. Took a $20.5 million cap hit, which would have been significantly less, approx 8 million after next year. Sure, we didnt have to pay him the 10.5 mill the next day after we cut him but we still come out on the losing end because we gave him $57 million , 4 yr contract with $45 million of that guaranteed...FOR 1 SEASON!!!. They cut and ran after one year... a down year. BUT...it was a down year for pretty much everyone in general, including STs. When McVay and Goff have a down year, it's the O Line...everyone blames the O-Line but with Gurley...it's his knee, his attitude...Bunch of bullshit. The OP is correct. Big mistake letting Gurley go this early and not allowing him to work with the new OC and try and revive this offense. I think McVay didnt respect the RB position after they figured out his scheme. As for CJ Anderson, he was a beast and worked well for us but if that's the case, why release Anderson. Then he brings in Henderson and barely uses him. It's too confusing. Glad we got an OC now but IMO, nothing justifies cutting Gurley. I compare it to the O'Brien/Hopkins fiasco....a clash in personalities. Not good. Yep, I'm still bitter too.

ocram23
Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:18 am

RamPower wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 am
I think most can agree that the Gurley sideshow was odd at best. I think TG was one of the all-time best Rams at his peak, but it was very possibly time for the whole distraction to move on.

Was his attitude a deciding problem? Hard to say. His health? Easier to say. His contract? The thought of the 2020 season being a wash regardless? Whatever, again, I became pretty tired of the whole what's up with Gurley's playing time thing...
you and me both. was so tired of watching mcvay's press conferences after the game. glad it's over and we can move on. now if we can just get the front office to get some quality players on the roster then we can hopefully go out and win some games.

Claremontram
Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 am

Arky:

Agree that Todd was not handled well last season. Probably a two-way street. Let's see if we pick up a RB in the draft that can help.

Go Razorbacks! I lived in Fayetteville from 1975 to 1979.

Claremontram
Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 am

Arky:

Agree that Todd was not handled well last season. Probably a two-way street. Let's see if we pick up a RB in the draft that can help.

Go Razorbacks! I lived in Fayetteville from 1975 to 1979.

Rate this topic
  • Information