Ramsey eyeing $22-23M a Year

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
User avatar
DMRamFan
Veteran
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am
Location: South Orange County, CA

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

RamPower wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Well if you're going to drag God into it, same goes for every politician using that ploy. Agree it's often bullshit.

Are NFL players worth it? Yes, because there's somebody there to pay it (i.e. as business investments). It's a star driven league as well. Are movie stars worth it? They're just playing make believe as well. Again, it's about rolling the dice with a business investment. Do all billionaires deserve their money? Even the dipshits that merely inherit fortunes? (did Georgia Frontiere deserve to own the Rams?). How about folks that have rules/laws bent to protect their extreme wealth? Whatever, this could go on and on obviously.

Of course, many actually risking their lives in the military are hysterically underpaid, while others at the top waste money at warp speed. I'll just say that when people stop paying to watch NFL players, you can start paying them accordingly (like roller derby). The NFL is of interest to an incredible amount of people…
Completely agree RP. Everyone that uses God's name needs to chill with that. Some people throw it around too loosely IMO. I guessing God just wants sincerity.

I do not blame the players for pay. It is ultimately the people that signs their checks that made that decision. What the issue is, is that some of these owners want to win so badly, they get into bad signings. I think we could all name a few.

It will be interesting to see if viewership goes down in the NFL. The issue that seems more apparent than ever, is that players care more about the money than winning championships. I know people need to get paid, but so many times it seems like after most players sign big contracts... they flame out. This is why I hope we do not jump the gun on JR this year. IMO, I think we jumped the gun on Goff. I am like OCram23 on here and that we are both in the middle, luke warm on Goff. I know he can be great. We've had 2 bad seasons and 2 good seasons... So, what are we getting this year? I guess this all depends on our Oline?


Change my mind

User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm

RamPower wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Do all billionaires deserve their money? Even the dipshits that merely inherit fortunes? (did Georgia Frontiere deserve to own the Rams?).
I looked at this once. How many NFL owners inherited either the team or the fortune that allowed them to buy a team?

First a reminder that there are only 31 owners, since Green Bay is owned by the community.

So out of 31 owners, how many inherited the team or the means to purchase one?

17.

...



User avatar
DMRamFan
Veteran
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am
Location: South Orange County, CA

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:44 pm

zackn wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm
RamPower wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Do all billionaires deserve their money? Even the dipshits that merely inherit fortunes? (did Georgia Frontiere deserve to own the Rams?).
I looked at this once. How many NFL owners inherited either the team or the fortune that allowed them to buy a team?

First a reminder that there are only 31 owners, since Green Bay is owned by the community.

So out of 31 owners, how many inherited the team or the means to purchase one?

17.

...
You know what would be more interesting... is if someone could find a stat on what the win/loss percentages are with each of these 17. In that, what were the records of who they inherited the team from (daddy's record), then the new owners who took over and their records? I am betting almost anything dad had a better record.


Change my mind

User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:38 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:44 pm

You know what would be more interesting... is if someone could find a stat on what the win/loss percentages are with each of these 17. In that, what were the records of who they inherited the team from (daddy's record), then the new owners who took over and their records? I am betting almost anything dad had a better record.
I don't know. There are exceptions to that, like Bidwell.

Though to just add some info, not all the heirs are sons. Some are daughters and some are wives.



User avatar
DMRamFan
Veteran
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am
Location: South Orange County, CA

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 pm

zackn wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:38 pm
DMRamFan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:44 pm

You know what would be more interesting... is if someone could find a stat on what the win/loss percentages are with each of these 17. In that, what were the records of who they inherited the team from (daddy's record), then the new owners who took over and their records? I am betting almost anything dad had a better record.
I don't know. There are exceptions to that, like Bidwell.

Though to just add some info, not all the heirs are sons. Some are daughters and some are wives.
I was being metaphorical for the word 'sons'. Come on Zack... stop being so literal every moment. I'll bet you anything you are either an engineer or a scientist of some sort. You are just way too analytical, but not as crazy as my accountants. You like to codify the hell out of this board. I know I give you a hard time at times Zack, but I do have respect for your opinions, stats, etc. So come on, tell me what those wives and daughters and sons have done over their dads.


Change my mind

User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Contact:

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:43 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 pm
tell me what those wives and daughters and sons have done over their dads.
I would have to remember who they are. Btw I don't dispute what you're saying, I just don't know either way. A couple of the heirs types have done okay. Denise DeBartolo York (SF), Michael Bidwell (Arz), Gayle Benson (N.O.), Jody Allen (Seattle).

Here;s the list of all present owners and how they acquired their teams:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... ted-states



Ramsfan08ny
Veteran
Posts: 1530
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 pm
Contact:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 am

crazy-legs wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:35 pm
First off it was a terrible trade. Secondly, by making the trade without a trade\sign deal we stuck ourselves in a deep hole. Snead screwed the pooch on the Gurley deal too. Who freaking signs a RB who had a blown out knee in his past to a huge contract 3 years before he has too? If we didn't give him that deal does anyone here think Gurley would of got that contact last year? Heck no. But with that said it effects our CAP moving forward. We have freaking 36+ million in dead money this year and 8.4 million for Gurley in 2021. Way to go Snead\McVay...

IMO we can't afford to sign Ramsey. We need to stop trading away our #1 picks and start drafting players who can take place of players who leave to seek the big bucks. Yes you sign players like Goff and Donald but you can only sign so many of those guys before you hamstring the team overall because they're isn't enough talent around them. Ramsey is a player I'd like to keep with Goff and Donald but with the piss poor decision the FO\McVay made over the last 2 years I don't think we can afford him...

We need to get smarter in who we sign and what we trade away. It could take a couple years to recover from the terrible decisions made the last 2 years...
I agree. I also hated the trade. However, in my opinion I don't know if it was all Les Snead. The Rams are opening a new stadium. It's Hollywood. Kroenke wanted glitter, star appeal, personality. So what did he do? Went out and traded for Ramsey, maybe he gets the next Deion Sanders personality that gets attention. Flashy, vocal. Not enough glitter? Next he does the same thing with the brand. Glitter and flash. It could all backfire. I hate the idea of two players on the defense taking up about 45 mil per season.



User avatar
RAMFAN71
Veteran
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:14 am
Contact:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 am

If you really think Goff is no good, then ok. I think he is a high quality NFL QB with loads of talent and potential. In any event, the QB touches the ball on every play. If you have your guy and you like what you see, then you pay that player. Not at ANY price, but at a price. Look at Washington Football Team right now. They let Cousins go and now have a problem while Minn has a QB and a playoff team.


"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

D-GenerationX
Veteran
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:53 am
Contact:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 am

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 am
I agree. I also hated the trade. However, in my opinion I don't know if it was all Les Snead. The Rams are opening a new stadium. It's Hollywood. Kroenke wanted glitter, star appeal, personality. So what did he do? Went out and traded for Ramsey, maybe he gets the next Deion Sanders personality that gets attention. Flashy, vocal. Not enough glitter? Next he does the same thing with the brand. Glitter and flash. It could all backfire. I hate the idea of two players on the defense taking up about 45 mil per season.
The biggest flaw is that they will never be able to ever throw any money at LB.

They will roll with dudes on rookie deals and cast offs. Which...hey, all teams have that. But they don't have entire units made up of those types.


A Logo Will Not Make A Stop On Third Down. A Logo Will Not Make A Tough Catch Over The Middle.

Smarten Up.

User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 2433
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm
Contact:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 am

DMRamFan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 pm
RamPower wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Well if you're going to drag God into it, same goes for every politician using that ploy. Agree it's often bullshit.

Are NFL players worth it? Yes, because there's somebody there to pay it (i.e. as business investments). It's a star driven league as well. Are movie stars worth it? They're just playing make believe as well. Again, it's about rolling the dice with a business investment. Do all billionaires deserve their money? Even the dipshits that merely inherit fortunes? (did Georgia Frontiere deserve to own the Rams?). How about folks that have rules/laws bent to protect their extreme wealth? Whatever, this could go on and on obviously.

Of course, many actually risking their lives in the military are hysterically underpaid, while others at the top waste money at warp speed. I'll just say that when people stop paying to watch NFL players, you can start paying them accordingly (like roller derby). The NFL is of interest to an incredible amount of people…
Completely agree RP. Everyone that uses God's name needs to chill with that. Some people throw it around too loosely IMO. I guessing God just wants sincerity.

I do not blame the players for pay. It is ultimately the people that signs their checks that made that decision. What the issue is, is that some of these owners want to win so badly, they get into bad signings. I think we could all name a few.

It will be interesting to see if viewership goes down in the NFL. The issue that seems more apparent than ever, is that players care more about the money than winning championships. I know people need to get paid, but so many times it seems like after most players sign big contracts... they flame out. This is why I hope we do not jump the gun on JR this year. IMO, I think we jumped the gun on Goff. I am like OCram23 on here and that we are both in the middle, luke warm on Goff. I know he can be great. We've had 2 bad seasons and 2 good seasons... So, what are we getting this year? I guess this all depends on our Oline?
Yep, all true DM.

If there is a season this year, viewership could definitely go down with the kneeling (I absolutely know folks that won't watch). But tons of people are starved for something to watch as well, so maybe it balances out? It will be interesting...would college kids take a knee this year as well? Sure they would. Again interesting to see it's direct impact with fans in the stands (which we likely won't see regardless in 2020).

I doubt huge single-player contracts will ever be much of a detriment to the League (success) overall. But sure, it can really kill an individual team if miscalculated. It's kind of the fun of the game as well (i.e. evaluation & player value/salary dispersal), as there's only so much money available under the cap. Yeah, the Rams have a whole lotta dead money right now...



49RH8R
Veteran
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am
Location: California
Contact:

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 pm

the top CB salary right now would be about $17 mil and with the cap going down i would not give him 22 mil a year.

he might go along with a franchise tender next year so he can hit FA after covd and the salary cap goes up.



toast49
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3916
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am
Contact:

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 am

Rams have a history of not paying DB's so this should be interesting. If the Rams don't get off to a fast start it wouldn't surprise me to see him dealt before the trade deadline



Post Reply
Rate this topic
  • Information